Rigging up my roof rack to load kayaks?

nakota

Observer
I need to figure out a way to make loading my kayaks easier. It's really difficult with just me, and it's even a pain in the butt with someone helping and using a step ladder!

Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of some how rigging up a bar that extends out from the truck around 3 feet so I could rest an end on it whilst lifting up the opposite end and putting it in the cradle. But I'm blanking on how I would rig up said bar.....any ideas from you geniuses? Or I'm open to other ideas!..That tennis ball contraption thingy on youtube is looking really good right now :costumed-smiley-007

here's a pic of what I'm working with -
bluedomino004.jpg

scrubber3

Not really here
Is there some way you can get a ladder for the rear and the side? Maybe some kind of plastic slide guide? Nice rig BTW, I have always liked those in Z71 form all blacked out. Chrome looks too flashy and cheap to me.

nakota

Observer
Thanks! I'm not too fond of chrome myself :sombrero:

I'll have to look into that, do you mean an attached ladder like a LR or FJ Cruiser? Currently I haul around a step ladder to load/unload the yaks. Yeah, I need some sort of guide, I think either horizontal or vertical would do the trick, just something to keep it from bailing off the side of the truck.

scrubber3

Not really here
Yeah, a ladder that stays on the rear that allows access so you don't need to haul a ladder. Have you thought about a side step that fits on the rear tire? One that's kind of high...

Smksignals

Explorer
I have seen the 'Thule Hullavator' on youtube and it looks pretty slick. I have know idea what the cost is but would work great on high profile vehicles.

nakota

Observer
Have you thought about a side step that fits on the rear tire? One that's kind of high...
That's funny, I thought of that when I was replying to you earlier!
I have seen the 'Thule Hullavator' on youtube and it looks pretty slick. I have know idea what the cost is but would work great on high profile vehicles.
Thanks, I'll check out The Hullavator *said in an Arnold accent* :sombrero:

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Questions: What kind of kayak are we talking about, length, material. Are you currently using the factory rack for the kayak saddles? Does this vehicle have a tail gate or barn doors?

Here is a thought replace the cross bars with Yakima round bars. Install 3 bars one as far back as you can get it. This bar put a round rack pad on it. Like the ones used for surfboards. This will act like a rolling pin. Lift the bow of the kayak up and onto the rear bar. Walk to the rear of the kayak and now lift and slide the kayak forward. It helps if the kayak saddles that you are using have little friction. Too be honest I have completely gone away from saddles and simple use rack pads on all 3 bars to cushion my kayaks. All of my boats are fiberglass. Now with that said I am usually only talking them down to the beach. I am not Overlanding with them. In this case a good set of saddles would help cradle the kayak. I've been doing it for years.

Second option would be to create some sort of slide out pole in line with the front rack. The pole slides out from the rack right above the passenger side door if it was open and would support the bow of the kayak while you lifted the stern up and onto your rack.

Here is an even crazier idea. What about simple opening the front passenger door and sliding a water noodle(link below) over the top off the door. Rest the bow of the kayak up there. You could even lower the window and run a strap thru the window to lightly hold the kayak in place while you lift the stern up. This might just work.

http://www.poolcenter.com/pooltoys_noodles_water_logs.htm

nakota

Observer
Questions: What kind of kayak are we talking about, length, material. Are you currently using the factory rack for the kayak saddles? Does this vehicle have a tail gate or barn doors?

Here is a thought replace the cross bars with Yakima round bars. Install 3 bars one as far back as you can get it. This bar put a round rack pad on it. Like the ones used for surfboards. This will act like a rolling pin. Lift the bow of the kayak up and onto the rear bar. Walk to the rear of the kayak and now lift and slide the kayak forward. It helps if the kayak saddles that you are using have little friction. Too be honest I have completely gone away from saddles and simple use rack pads on all 3 bars to cushion my kayaks. All of my boats are fiberglass. Now with that said I am usually only talking them down to the beach. I am not Overlanding with them. In this case a good set of saddles would help cradle the kayak. I've been doing it for years.

Second option would be to create some sort of slide out pole in line with the front rack. The pole slides out from the rack right above the passenger side door if it was open and would support the bow of the kayak while you lifted the stern up and onto your rack.

Here is an even crazier idea. What about simple opening the front passenger door and sliding a water noodle(link below) over the top off the door. Rest the bow of the kayak up there. You could even lower the window and run a strap thru the window to lightly hold the kayak in place while you lift the stern up. This might just work.

http://www.poolcenter.com/pooltoys_noodles_water_logs.htm

Thanks Gear! You've given me some ideas to contemplate! :D

Kayaks are Rec kayaks, one is 12 ft, one is 10 ft, both plastic. The cradles are attached to the factory roof rack, and the truck has a liftgate. My truck actually has a round roll bar on the back! I don't have a pad on it, that's a great idea. The way it is now, the roll bar doesn't help much.

The slide out pole is what I was thinking originally. I haven't figured out a way to attach it to the factory roof rack yet....I wonder if a big enough U-bolt would to the trick?

I went out and snapped a pic of the roof..well a partial roof pic cause I couldn't get it all in the shot -
roof003.jpg

When I was up there taking the pic, I was thinking I should put the back cradle on the 3rd crossrail. That might make it easier, because when I'm loading my kayak by myself, it wants to commit suicide and fall off the side of the truck. I'm a girl btw, that's why I'm having so much trouble, it's not the weight per say, it's the length and awkwardness of lifting the kayaks and the height of the truck.

Thanks for the great suggestions so far!

Last edited:

Yellowkayak

Adventurer
I haul two Hobie Adventure kayaks...one weighs 68 and one weighs 72 pounds. My back is shot so I bought and use Thule Hullivators on my truck for the past six years. They are a bit pricey but worth every penny. All you have to do is lift them waist high and the Hullivator, which has shocks in them, helps take the weight off the lifting part. Lowering is even easier. Look them up:

http://www.backcountry.com/thule-hullavator

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video...+-+Hullavator+Demonstrated+by+Rack+Outfitters

JJ

DesertBoater

Adventurer
Instead of fabricating something that slides out to the side of the vehicle, Yakima makes something like that that just slides into the roof rack bar on the front end of the roof... Here's the link to that. The roller bar on the back end looks pretty slick, I've also seen folks just use a piece of carpet on the back of the car to slide the boat up onto. Personally I'm not much of a fan of the Hullavators...they weigh a good bit, and there are quite a few moving parts to deal with...I've never really used the cradles on my own rig, usually just the bars and some creative strapping.

Cheers,
West

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Thanks Gear! You've given me some ideas to contemplate! :D

Kayaks are Rec kayaks, one is 12 ft, one is 10 ft, both plastic. The cradles are attached to the factory roof rack, and the truck has a liftgate. My truck actually has a round roll bar on the back! I don't have a pad on it, that's a great idea. The way it is now, the roll bar doesn't help much.

The slide out pole is what I was thinking originally. I haven't figured out a way to attach it to the factory roof rack yet....I wonder if a big enough U-bolt would to the trick?

I went out and snapped a pic of the roof..well a partial roof pic cause I couldn't get it all in the shot -
roof003.jpg

When I was up there taking the pic, I was thinking I should put the back cradle on the 3rd crossrail. That might make it easier, because when I'm loading my kayak by myself, it wants to commit suicide and fall off the side of the truck. I'm a girl btw, that's why I'm having so much trouble, it's not the weight per say, it's the length and awkwardness of lifting the kayaks and the height of the truck.

Thanks for the great suggestions so far!

Looking at the photograph what about installing the racks so the tall part is on the outside. Opposite of the way you currently have them. Then add a few pads to the bars right down the middle of the truck. Lift the front of the kayak up on to the rear bar and slide the kayak down the middle of the truck. Then simple slide the kayak over and into the saddles. This would eliminate the kayak from wanting to slide off the truck while you are loading it. Also moving the rear saddles to the back bar would help with the stability of the kayak once it is in the rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94