99 Montero Sport XLS wheel fitment question

monterosp4x4

Well after much research and trolling through a lot of forums i cant seem to find the answer to my question. It probably has something to do with my lack of knowledge on the backspacing and offset, sooo does anyone know exactly what 16x7 OEM wheel with 6 lug, 5.5" offset, and 108 backspacing(i believe) from any manufacturer that will fit on my 99 montero i got new duratracs really cheap in 245x75x16 inch and wanna know if i can get some cheap wheels from a junk yard.

Any insight on this will be very much appreciated.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I suspect that's 16x7" rim with a 6x5.5" bolt pattern & a 108mm center bore.

108mm is a standard center bore size so that why I suspect it's the center bore versus the offset/back spacing. If it is the back spacing then that means the mounting surface is 10.8cm or ~4.25" which is a lot for a 7" wide truck rim

6x5.5 means its a 6 lug nut rim and the lug holes are on a 5.5" diameter circle.

HTH

monterosp4x4

that does explain a lot thanks! so is the center bore a big deal when your looking at different rims or is that going to be a big fitment issue? Sorry about having so many questions about this, its not an area i have a lot of knowledge in...

if i got a wheel with a smaller center bore could i get it machined out or would that comprimise the rim and made it useless?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
that does explain a lot thanks! so is the center bore a big deal when your looking at different rims or is that going to be a big fitment issue? Sorry about having so many questions about this, its not an area i have a lot of knowledge in...

if i got a wheel with a smaller center bore could i get it machined out or would that comprimise the rim and made it useless?
Fitment depends on the dia. of your hub.
A smaller bore can be machined bigger assuming you have enough material left to keep the rim safe.
Ive heard that some wheel shops have even used a air drill with a special bit to route the hole larger kinda like a commercial dremel tool.

shov3lbum

Adventurer
For montero sports I can attest to the fact that you should not get bigger than 108mm center bore since on the montero sport they are hub-centric wheels front and rear. (deja vu on this discussion anyone? lol)

All this means basically is that the wheel centers on the axle hub versus the axle lugs.

So if buying wheels that are smaller than 108mm center bore be sure to stress to the machine shop the importance of the bore being 108mm

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles