Thread: Dutch camper finds a home in Oregon

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader

Default Dutch camper finds a home in Oregon

Gary Wescott has written an article for Motor Trend describing a Dutch DAF-YA4440 with custom camper. The vehicle is owned by a couple who live in Oregon, who have driven it up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik, Northwest Territories. Read the article here.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/1103_daf_ya_4440_expedition_truck/

Image gallery here
    http://www.motortrend.com/features/c..._01.html#photo

Niiiice!

I especially like the Michelin Man on top!

Dennis
    Dennis Garman

'79 Ford Bronco named "Ruff"

https://www.facebook.com/GarmansWorkshop

"A man that has to ask for help better not start out in the first place." Louis L'Amour - "Conagher"

I would be curious to see how the load and unload that TW mounted to the front bumper.
    1996 Provan Tiger CX Turbo Diesel 4X4 5 Speed
    1997 4runner
    2007 KTM XCW 400
    And, bikes up the wazzu!

Drove the its younger sibling the YA4442 for six months when I was drafted in the Royal Dutch Army. They are awesome trucks. The 4442 has all the goodies of the 4440 plus a 6 speed synchronized gear box.
    There is a good reason that DAF was did so well in the Paris-Dakar rallies in the 80's and 90's

Quote Originally Posted by Alpentalic View Post
    I would be curious to see how the load and unload that TW mounted to the front bumper.
    I see a davit and hand winch in one of the story pictures.

Nice set up.

Doug
    FI60 Diesel

My Isuzu Swap: http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-...ey-begins.html

When you get to Ih8mud type in Google search - "The Journey Begins"

I used to see these behemoths and others like them in the Sahara. Frankly they look rather foolish. Actually they are rather foolish. And the Dempster? I've driven it three times in a rental car.
    From Baja to the Arctic and all places in between. Dodge Cummins, 4x4, manual trans of course. Tesla Model S, 85 Kilowatt

Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    I used to see these behemoths and others like them in the Sahara. Frankly they look rather foolish. Actually they are rather foolish. And the Dempster? I've driven it three times in a rental car.
    Thank you so much for your factually supported insight into the usefulness of the DAF versus other potential overland vehicles.
    Very constructive, now I know not to buy one.
    I don't know the dempster highway but I'm certain that if you were to do all the things they were able to do in their truck in your rental car you would wake up very stiff (I don't believe your rental had a permanent double bed) and the rental company would charge you extra cleaning and sanitising fees; after all taking a dump or having a shower in a rental is not advised.

Sorry it's Monday morning.

In my search for a platform I tried to stay away from the 170 hp trap. All across Europe that generation of military vehicles were all specced to 170HP and even though the engines are always torquey, I found them just too sluggish even unladen. Sure you can soup it up but I'm not enough of a tuning expert to feel comfortable travelling long distances with non standard stuff. (says the guy who's built a double cab from a single).
    And that's not to mention all the green that I would have had to paint over. But that's just a matter of taste. Some people like using military green in civilian applications; it makes them feel like something they are not.

Good to see anyone who can actually get out and go.
    Mine is probably bigger than yours.
    (isn't that what those long signatures are about?)
    I'm talking about my truck, what were you thinking? ;-)