Insuring a Canter Campervan in Australia

Thylacoleo

Hi all,

I am contemplating undertaking a camper conversion on an ex military FG. Just wondering if there are any recommendations for insurers in Australia. Are you insuring the vehicle as a light commercial vehicle or a camper/motorhome? Roughly how much for fully comp? Do you have any remote area coverage? Any problems or conditions of insurance that I need to know about?

Also can anyone recommend an organisation that provides road side assistance for a vehicle of this size?

Thanks for your help

cheers

Gareth

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
CMCA

I am a member of CMCA (Campervan and Motorthome Club of Australia). They have some very competitive insurance deals, which I found cover much more than many other insurers.
I was lucky enough to get my Canter registered as a motorhome. This changes its status from a commercial vehicle, which reduces the insurance costs significantly. At the moment I do not have it comprehensively insured, as it is still being built, but I was quoted around $1500 for an insured value of $200K and $1200 for $150K.

Not sure about the roadside assistance, but if memory serves me correctly, the CMCA deal includes vehicle recovery as part of the package.

I would suggest looking at their website, or contacting them directly, if you want more info on their offerings.
BTW... I am not affiliated with CMCA in any way, other than being a member.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I should add...
Registering the Canter as a motorhome should not be that difficult, as long as the camper body is not easily removable, like a slide-on.

Thylacoleo

Thanks SkiFreak, actually I am a member of CMCA so that's a possibility. Just wondering if anyone knew of alternatives or better deals. I'll certainly look at registering it as a motorhome, will just need to check on what I need to do to satisfy the definition.

cheers

Gareth

blackduck

Explorer
gareth
I went through the motions when i built my FG
most insurers (computer systems) wont accept the FG as anything else but a comercial vehicle and no matter how much i argued the fact that its private they wouldny wear it
my only option was CMCA (ken tame)
apart from the fact they accept FG's as campers or motorhomes they also understand that people dont just spend 2 weeks of the year on holidays in thier vehicle and offer decent vehicle and contents insurance for said vehicles.

Last edited:

Thespoon

Observer
Gareth

same here.....member of CMCA.....my NPS is insured with Ken Tame (who is using Allianz now) as a Motorhome for $167,500 & $2000 basic contents, for $1376.38 per annum with a NCB rating 1 or 60%.
I don't know of anybody else to insure with.
Regards
Adrian

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
...will just need to check on what I need to do to satisfy the definition.
I do not believe that there is any "standard definition" of what a motorhome is, or should be.
I found this to be a real pain, as all of the docos are considered to be "guidelines"; there are no black and white definitions to be found. This means that the person inspecting the vehicle can interpret these guidelines how they like. When I spoke with a local engineer, he concurred that this frustrated him too. He told me that he had been questioned on some of the work he had certified when a different inspector had viewed the modifications.

Personally, I went and saw the head inspector at our motor registry and discussed the matter with him. The approach I took was to ask him what he expected a motorhome to be. Then I built the minimum that he would accept, so I could get my truck registered. My camper is quite a way off being completed, but the inspector was nice enough to let me register my truck, being convinced that it was a "motorhome under construction".
At the end of the day, taking this approach resulted in the rego label on my Canter saying its a motorhome! :)

blackduck

Explorer
I do not believe that there is any "standard definition" of what a motorhome is, or should be.

As defined by the CMCA and a prerequisite for membership a motorhome has a fitted kitchen and refrigeration among other things
anything else could probably be defined as a camper
WRT definition for the purposes of registration it depends on what state your in, but if its insured as a motorhome and you have the relavent documentation then a motorhome it is, just dont forget to pay the fee

gait

Explorer
my Canter is registered as a motorhome in Qld. Previous vehicle was a Coaster bus conversion. With seats removed it became a motorhome for registration purposes when it had a bed (mattress on floor) and a primus (multi fuel) cooker, also on the floor. Both less than 4.5 tonne GVM which makes life heaps easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles