Outitting the Family Cruiser

bs1865

Observer
Posted this in another section of the forum, but thought it may make more sense in this section specific to Cruisers.

My family and I are outdoor enthusiasts - camping, hiking, backpacking, travel, hunting, etc. After research, decided that a 2003-05 Land Cruiser fits the bill.

On the "Top 10 Used Overland Vehicles" Scott Brady suggests an OME HD Suspension, new shocks and 295/75 R16 BFG ATs. Then in the Cons section he mentions strengthening the differentials and axle arms when overloaded or overdriven.

Our travel would include long distance highway travel, trips to parks/campgrounds (local, state, national and hopefully remote), road trips out West, 2 x per year Elk Hunting trips in the Rockies on some 4x4 trails, running around the great state of Texas (Big Bend, Hill Country, etc). We would occasionally pull a trailer (maybe adventure style), kayaks, gear for week long travel, etc. Are there any other mods you'd find important for this type of travel. I'm looking for effective, purposeful upgrades, not fluff.

Thanks in advance!
Robert

Sempertoy

Explorer
I don't think that what you listed as activities would necessitate differential strengthening. LC's are very robust and will last a long time. OME lifts are very popular and I like mine, BFG AT's are also tried and true. Aside from lift and tires I would start with sliders, then front bumper. If you are traveling alone in these remote areas you will need lift points all around the vehicle. Also a winch would not be a bad thing to have at all. I highly recommend the guys over on ih8mud and think they will be able to better answer your question as there is a whole section for 100 series landcruisers. http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/

Sawyer

Adventurer
Our travel would include long distance highway travel, trips to parks/campgrounds (local, state, national and hopefully remote), road trips out West, 2 x per year Elk Hunting trips in the Rockies on some 4x4 trails, running around the great state of Texas (Big Bend, Hill Country, etc). We would occasionally pull a trailer (maybe adventure style), kayaks, gear for week long travel, etc. Are there any other mods you'd find important for this type of travel. I'm looking for effective, purposeful upgrades, not fluff.

Thanks in advance!
Robert

Based on this description... There really isn't much you need to do. Stock will get you every where you described. I always advise people the first two mods they should even think of are sliders and tires. Based on your needs described above 285/75R/16's would probably be better than the 295's. Easier on the gas and power. I run the 295's and didnt really notice a huge difference... but others do. Sliders will pay for themselves more times than you can count. Other than that.... Get out there and explore. When you feel like something else is needed becasue you cant go where you want.... then address it. But dont worry about to much right now until you need it.

I have a 2000 and have been through a couple suspensions from a Slee OME kit to total Chaos Upper control arms and Radflo remotes res shocks. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM. I will give you my honest opinion on everything....

My rig:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...xPo-100-Series-Registry?p=1085558#post1085558

Cheers!

toymaster

Explorer
Well my first stop would be Scott's new post...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/resources/91-guide/998-the-top-10-overland-vehicle-kit.html

Then you may also find more stuff here ya' like....
http://www.expeditionportal.com/resources/91-guide.html

After you get the basics then start thinking about the gear you require and how to carry it. A roof rack is excellent; I prefer the low profile ones. Then a trailer as you mention would do great for hauling gear but some people do not like trailers and they can be expensive. I've got $8,500 in mind and it is not finished being decked out yet. The reason is I can leave the vic lean and mean while using the trailer for a base camp. In addition, my theory is a RTT on the trailer will create less drag than on top of the vic.

My latest evolution has led me to a roof top tent on my trailer, a 12v fridge instead of a cooler, and an on-board shower. I would concentrate on the best way to organize your chosen gear.

Then, if after you see a need for more trails worthy vehicle upgrade to whatever is fashionable for the 100 series these days. From your description of your journeys I would definitely let that one be the last to dump money into. What Scott mentioned is a good look and does increase capability for little investment while keeping the highway mpg reasonable.

mph

Expedition Leader
Sounds like you would be good with a stock 100 and maybe a set of taller tires.

Posted this in another section of the forum, but thought it may make more sense in this section specific to Cruisers.

My family and I are outdoor enthusiasts - camping, hiking, backpacking, travel, hunting, etc. After research, decided that a 2003-05 Land Cruiser fits the bill.

On the "Top 10 Used Overland Vehicles" Scott Brady suggests an OME HD Suspension, new shocks and 295/75 R16 BFG ATs. Then in the Cons section he mentions strengthening the differentials and axle arms when overloaded or overdriven.

Thanks in advance!
Robert

bs1865

Observer
Thanks for all the feedback. Great to know stock will get me started and can grow from there. When I do my suspension/shock upgrad, if that is the road I go, is OME a solid and safe bet for most applications? I've heard others mentioned, it just seems to be the or one of the most common.

Sawyer

Adventurer
You will probably find mixed reviews on OME. Some either hate em or have had nothing but good experiences with them. I fall into the later. My first suspension was OME and it was great for me. I would say it would be great for your needs as well based on your comments for use above. You can learn a lot more about what is possible and all if you head over the the 100 series section on IHMUD.

BJTLC100

I have the 100 series and have done with mine, the past 12 years, what you want to do with no problems with my stock rig. 2 years ago, I added sliders, a GOBI roof Rack. A new bumper, winch are next on my list. My LC has handled everything I have done in Moab, long road trips, camping, 4x4 trails in CO just fine. Go, Explore, Have fun, but respect your rig and it will take care of you just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles