Grand Wagoneer

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
A buddy of mine has just been declared cancer free from one of the really nasty ones. He was given four to six weeks to live just a little over three years ago! Now he wants to celebrate and is wanting to revisit his glory days when he had a nice Wagoneer that he bought new. Obviously, that was some time ago, and he is not a car nut, so he asked me to help a little. So now I turn to you:

Are these reliable?

Is there an aftermarket for these to build an ExPo rig from - 3" lift, lockers, bull bars?

Was one year better than the rest? I'm assuming that the '91 or whatever was the last year would be the most desirable, but I know that is not always the case.

Any pointers?

I looked around the usual suspects for pricing - ads run the gambit from reasonable to outrageous for no good reason. Anything about values worth mentioning?

many thanks!

Prjktjho

That is awesome that he beat the cancer! Truly inspiring! Anyways my brother has a grand wagoneer out in Colorado. I can't comment on reliability since his doesn't see much action. I can say regardless of reliability, they look freaking beautiful sitting in the driveway! I hope he finds one and enjoys the heck out of it!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Congrats on beating the cancer.

There is one for sale here by an expo member, murrayconst or something like that. I know at one point in time there was a company you could buy one from that was totally refurbished, don't know if they are still in business though. BJ's Offroad in the Seattle WA area caters to the big Jeep crowd, check out their website.

Prjktjho

I know what company your talking about as my brother tried to sell his to them. They were based out of Cali I believe is what he told me. The refurb ones are new jeep expensive but wayyyy cooler then a new rig

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
OK, so the website to paruse is www.ifsja.org. (International Full-Size Jeep Association) As you can imagine, it's all about fullsize Jeeps.

As far as grand's go, it's pretty much a big, comfy station wagon with with a moderately strong drivetrain. Parts are going to be very cheap, and easy to find compared to many of the exotic rigs on this board.

One common failure point is all the powered accessories, though. Power windows, power door locks, seat heaters, etc..all tend to go out. This includes the rear power window.

Motor will be the AMC 401 and AMC 360, trannies will be the th400 or torqueflite 727 auto's, Tcases will be the np229(fulltime) and the np228(part-time) , and I'm pretty sure most all FSJ's came with D44's front and rear, so 33's-35's with considerate driving are very possible with the correct gearset.

As I said, very robust, very simple, and quite comfy...BJ's is the source for lifts, bumpers, trim, etc...Rusty's offroad has some lift kits and other bits available, but some tend to think his stuff is lower quality. I didn't find that to be the case, and when you call, Rusty is usually the one to answer the phone in his southern drawl.

Average Dave

Jack of all trades
Congrats to your friend on beating cancer!

Teamgrandwagoneer.com sells a bunch of parts for the FSJs but for the off road stuff like bumpers, lifts ,and what have you bj's is pretty well loaded.

The quadra tracks are generally less desireible because of the full time 4wd aspect but I believe they are still pretty tough. I've only been stranded (my own dumb fault for going out alone)once and that was when my fuel pump went out. Even then it was a pretty easy on the trail fix once I got the part. Only other thing I would say is I would buy another one in a heart beat.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Thanks fellas! I looked at one this afternoon in Colorado (my buddy is in Alaska) that was PERFECT - 1990, 87K original miles, maroon paint that was flawless as was the interior. The owner was very excited to show off his rig. It is not for sale - yet. He has been on the fence due to gas prices etc. and took my number and promised to call this weekend with a verdict. He said he would like to get $4000 if he sold it. I've seen some rigs advertised for more than twice that. They may have a lift already, but it is a used lift, and lifts are inexpensive enough. I'm really excited about this - what a fun project considering I helped him put together his final estate plan... this is way cooler!

whowey

Congrats to your friend...

First, Are they reliable.... No more or less than any other 20 plus year old vehicle equipped with 50 plus year old technology.... But they are WAYYYYY cooler than most of the others.

Wagonmasters is the company in CA that refurbs them. They are extremely picky about what they purchase, so they have less to work on when they do their refurbs.

BJ's is VERY good to the FSJ community. Team Grand Wagoneers is owned by the same folks as Team Cherokee. Their reputation is less stellar in the community.

IFSJA is a great resource for them. Their community atmosphere is very good. Don't bring drama or nonsense there and you will be fine.

Other than some small stuff.. there is not a big change from the time of the Chrysler take-over(1987) to the end of the Waggy line in 1991. Final Editions due get higher pricing on average due to the relative scarcity especially if the final edition plates are intact.

Alaskan1Ton

Observer
I have an 86 Wagoneer with 360 motor, 727 tranny, np 229 t-case and dana 44 axles. I have 3.54 gears. This truck is plenty strong and comfortable. I have approx 4-5" of lift that ive done for about 89.00 total and you can too if you learn some secrets. I run 33x12.50 tires and with only 3.54's it still drives 70-75 all day and will still accelerate all day up hill. The interior is comfy and you can sleep in the back. So I love my waggy, they are so cool and people always say "cool truck" to me even though mine is still pretty ugly. if you'll notice the waggys have a flat belly pan, all the drivetrain is tucked up inside the frame rails. SOme pics of mine right now. Also parts are DIRT cheap.

lift.jpg

side.jpg

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Very Cool! - thank you for all the info. The fellow with the really nice Jeep is keeping his and nobody would blame him.

After doing some research on these, if I did not already own the legendary 80 Land Cruiser, I'd be shopping for one!

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
If anyone sees a nice ExPo ready Grand Wagoneer please post it in this thread! Spring has sprung in Alaska and my buddy is itching for a new ride!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles