Maryland to Alaska - the journey begins

xjaugie

Adventurer
April 19,2012
The Alaska Journey begins

At 2:53 PM on Thursday April 19, 2012 I left Westminster, MD and began the 3,500 mile trek across the country. Yes, at the age of 45, I quit my professional career, loaded my 17 year old pickup truck full of camping gear, kayak and clothes, and am off to Alaska for summer employment.

The tacoma has been fully checked out and is more ready then I think I am for the trip.

DSC_7554_edited half size-1.jpg

The 17 year old truck has been upgraded with a OME suspension, DuraTrac 265/75/16s, Blue Lake front winch bumper, Budbuilt skids, Rock sliders, CB, Yakama custom bed rack for 'yak and fishing rods, and lots of gear in the bed of the truck.

So that brings us to today. The personal belongings are in storage. Goodbyes have been said. The savings account will cover the child support and health insurance for the next several months. Time to take that almighty big first step.

This morning I said my prayers, even wept a few tears of fear. But by mid-afternoon the 1995 Toyota Tacoma fully loaded with camping gear, kayak, fishing gear, and clothes pulled onto interstate 70, heading west.

For the next twelve days or so, I will be making my way across the northern reaches of this grand country of ours, stopping here and there to explore. Then once almost to the western edge; I’ll turn right into Canada for another 900 miles to Ketchikan AK.

Wow, just what have I gotten myself into? I don’t know, but it’s going to quite the adventure.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to post here daily, but I will be posting on my News Paper blog hopefully daily. Here we go......

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I'll be following along! I guess an admonition for fair winds and following seas won't be quite appropriate but the sentiment behind it is.

We hope to make a very similar journey from this part of Maryland in summer 2013. Take and share lots of pictures and recommendations.

crossbowme

I'm going the same route on 08/01/2012. From South China, Maine to Fairbanks and up the haul road. I'm not staying though. I'll meet my wife in Anchorage eventually and then head home thru Idaho, Montana, etc. I'm not staying though - I've got a lot of other places I want to go to in the years ahead.

Best of luck on your job/life change!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Awesome!!! there is no right age to travel, and I must say the older I get, the more I enjoy/appreciate it.

Great decision, please post up a lot of pictures!

xjaugie

Adventurer
Thanks all for the kind words, I hope to really start and take some photos today.

Yesterday was all express toll roads with bumper to bumper traffic in chicago. I made it to Wisconsin, and cleared my first 1,000 miles. Now its time to slow down and enjoy the drive. Today I plan to make it to chippewa country in Minnesota.

xjaugie

Adventurer
Today, I explored the pot hole region of North Dakota and got some great waterfowl photos...

flying shovelers.jpg

flying woodduck.jpg

Then i set up camp at Devils Lake

relaxing in camp.jpg

redruby

GREAT TRIP, HAVE DONE TWICE AND IN 2013 IT WILL BE OUR 3RD TRIP. EACH TRIP TAKES US 3-4 MONTHS AND IT TRULY IS VERY ENJOYABLE AND VERY EXCITING AND SAFE. YOU WILL MEET A GREAT BUNCH OF POEPLE ALONG THE WAY. THE DRIVE TO PRUDHOE BAY IS GREAT AS IS THE DRIVE TO INUVIK, THE FURTHEST NORTH THAT YOU CAN DRIVE IN CANADA, IN THE SUMMER.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles