85 Toyota Long Bed EFI, or 94 FJ80??

Naetzker

Hello,

Its been a while!:smiley_drive:

I bought an 85 Long Bed, with EFI, in California back in 2010. It was a great trip across country and I have had many adventures since then in this truck. I've also spent a bit of time and money updating the maintenance schedules and upgrading here and there. I love this truck!

However, as many of you know- there are limitations to every rig and the lack of interior space, harsh- by todays standards- ride, difficulty in securing items in the bed from theft and weather, etc.

I keep coming back the FJ80- It would surely go to most of the secluded places I like to camp- but not all! - and with a great deal more comfort. I could also take my dog, who is not comfortable in the rear of my current rig, especially in the chilly temps we see here in Western New York. The big downer to the FJ is I would lose about half of my current mpg- yes, even with the rtt and 31's, I am still getting about 20+mpg with my 85.

I have a gentleman with a modified fj- rtt, armor, winch, lights, ome lift, etc. He is willing to trade for my 2011 Mazda, which gets 35 mpg. I would then feel the need to lose the 85- does it make sense to have two rigs?? I dunno- perhaps I should just take a less is more approach- I'm old enough to have experienced my possessions possessing me!

Any thoughts??!?
IMG_0525.jpg
Here is a pic of my 85. Jeebus I love this truck!

austintaco

Explorer
Would a hard sided campershell solve your problems? They are hard to find for the long beds, but they are out there.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Talk to CA-RJ on this board. Ryan has a 80's pickup that works really well for him, but he just picked up a 1994 (i think) fj80 that is kitted out with all sorts of goodies. (still owns the pickup, last I heard)

Ask him for all the details, and if it was a good decision so far. He also took a huge hit on mpgs, and has already put some $$ into repairs on the cruiser, but has also already taken it out on a trip or two.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I did just buy an 80, but mine is a 91 with the slower, less fuel efficient 3FE. It came fully kitted out with suspension, larger tires, aftermarket front bumper and snorkel. We bought it as our family off-roader and tripmobile. I love driving it though. The 3 of us fit in it really well and with our 2nd coming soon, we won't feel cramped. Since owning it, I've added 4.88 gears, rear ARB locker, had the front axle rebuilt and just this week I ordered a new TPS.

I also have an 86 Toyota Xtra Cab 4x4 as well. It's all stock with just 30" tires and a shell. I get 17-20 mpg with it, depending on how I drive. It's comfortable to drive, large enough to carry my gear and with the shell, it allows me to sleep in the back.

It sounds like the OP is traveling solo, and if that was always the case with me, I wouldn't have bought my 80. The pickup is plenty big enough for me and with a few key modifications would be perfect off-road. It's cheaper to maintain, get's better MPG's and cheaper to insure. If it was me, I would keep that 85 longbed. Keep it as stock as possible to retain MPG's and have fun! If you must change vehicles, perhaps a 3rd gen 4Runner would fit the bill. I just sold my 97 5 speed and it easily got 18-20 mpg in normal daily driving and could go 20-23 in highway only driving. They can be found with locking rear diffs and are quite capable off-road, while allowing you to carry your dog inside. Plop your RTT on top (or better yet, sell it and sleep inside).

Naetzker

I haven't found a campershell that will fit this old truck!

Would a hard sided campershell solve your problems? They are hard to find for the long beds, but they are out there.

Perhaps because I live here in the Northeast, rust capital of the world, I haven't found any shells that fit. I have a modified ladder rack on the back at present, I may go to the army surplus store today and see what kinds of canvas they have, but that still would not solve the ease of stealing from the bed issue.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Definetly keep the 85. 80's are great but they are big and gas guzzling. If you can be patient you will find a shell to solve the security and dog issues. I regret ever letting my 85 go, dont make the same mistake.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Those are both incredible rigs! I'd have a hard time convincing myself to unload that '85 though. Fuel economy is a big priority for me and I'd have a hard time living with full-time 4wd and a big inline 6. Not to mention the amazing looks of those earlier mini trucks. The Toyota minis are just so easy and fun to own. It's hard to find anything else as over-built, versatile, economical and interesting!

For the ride issue, I put a set of Old Man Emu "light" spring packs and shocks on the front of mine--it soaks up bumps much better now and still provides plenty of support for the winch bumper and truck camper.

If you can't find a shell, you could opt for a lockable truck box or tonneau cover for some semi-secure storage.

The thought of swapping my '85 for something a little newer has crossed my mind a few times but then I ask myself "why on earth would I want to do that?"

Last edited:

Caoboy

Adventurer
I don't see the advantage of getting a cruiser, if you already have the truck. If it were me, i'd keep 85, because it's the best year ever, i mean, i was born then afterall :D

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Thanks Owyhee, there is something to be said for the 85's. Why'd you sell yours?!

I didnt even have it for sale when a gentleman came up and offered cash. I drive way too much so was going to kill it quickly if I kept driving it, so it went to a good home. The guy who bought it has an 86 with 300k+ miles that he was worried would die eventually.

I really like the 2011 taco but i LOVED my 4runner. I knew that thing inside and out, it never let me down.

Sounds like everyone wants you to keep the 85. :wings:

Naetzker

I didnt even have it for sale when a gentleman came up and offered cash. I drive way too much so was going to kill it quickly if I kept driving it, so it went to a good home. The guy who bought it has an 86 with 300k+ miles that he was worried would die eventually.

I really like the 2011 taco but i LOVED my 4runner. I knew that thing inside and out, it never let me down.

Sounds like everyone wants you to keep the 85. :wings:

Sure seems like a majority thinks the 85 is the way to go! I wonder if I posted this in the Landcruiser 80 forum what the majority would say! :)

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Sell the 85 to me and get a Cruiser. Now. ;)
This guy is obviously trying to take advantage of your heavy decision. I think you should sell it to me instead.

The guy who bought it has an 86 with 300k+ miles that he was worried would die eventually.
I just bough back my old 86 w/300k on the clock to build up, maybe I just bought his dying toy.

I love the setup of your 85'. It would be hard for me to sell it for the gains you would get from the FJ. Fuel mileage was one of the main reasons I wanted my old rig. If I could have my old 85' LWB back, it would be mine forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke