"Minimalist" slide-in truck camper that won't kill my MPG?

Camuyano

Hello:

After many years messing about with both truck campers and travel trailers as the basis for an expedition rig (some may recognize my alias from the old ExpeditionCampers.com), I have come full circle back to another pick-up truck. I settled for a 2011 F-150 3.7L V6 (non-ecoboost) SB Ext. Cab. Even though I would loooooove to have a Tacoma again, the price of the Ford was just too good to pass up (even if the Taco has more "trail cred") and the MPG figures looked about the same or slightly better even though it is a full-size.

Now I find myself facing the age old dilemma of what kind of camper to put on it. I loved the simplicity and functionality of the FWC but hated the drop in fuel economy because of the "air-dam" effect from the cab-over and front wall. Even though I've never run a hard sided TC, it seemed to me that the difference in drag between a collapsed pop-up and a hard sided camper of approximately the same weight is almost negligible.

First, let me define my requirements. I would call this a "soft" expedition rig because, even though we are interested in international and off-the-beaten-path travel, we do not plan to tackle any extreme terrain with this truck. In fact, we tend to do most of our camping in organized campgrounds with facilities and establish a "base camp" to explore the area by bike, boat, motorcycle, on foot or even public transportation (since we frequently camp near cities and towns where we can experience interesting sights and cultural exchanges). For this reason, the camper functions more like a mobile motel room and our requirements are relatively simple:

1) A comfortable double bed that is usable even when collapsed
2) Reasonable ventilation and/or provision for A/C (since we do live in the South)
3) Space for a porta-potti with some privacy (a curtain will do) for use at night and for emergencies
4) Space for at least on person to stand up and change clothes at a time
5) Sitting area for at least one person with a small work area (to read or use the computer without having to lay down)
6) Storage for clothes, linens, and provision for up to a month (supplemented by outside boxes and/or trailer)
7) Demountable within 20~30 mins and usable off the truck on stands

Notice that I do not include a kitchen or shower. Like I said, we spend most of the day away from the camper so we don't cook in it very often and, when we do, I don't like to stink up the place. Also, I would rather use the camp's bathhouse, if one is available, or shower outside rather than attempt the contortions necessary to shower inside a small camper's bathroom stall.

My mind has been working overtime thinking what kind of jury-rigged, origami-like collapsible contraption would meet my needs and still give reasonable MPGs. (I know, I know... A nice tent would probably fit the bill but what's the fun in that!) Requirements (4) and (7) disqualify camper shells unless heavily modified. The Flippac seems like a cool concept but it is not easy to take on and off and the wife has already vetoed it due to lack of interior amenities and storage. Also, the Flippac still does protrude a bit from behind the cab and I am not sure how much this still affects gas mileage. A "caboverless" slide-in like the new FWC Cajita or Alaskan Mini looks like an even better option for me since it is easier to remove and has decent amenities but, again, these still have the back wall drag and I don't know if the gains in economy will be sufficient to offset the inconvenience of not having a cabover.

Does anyone have any experience with the relative fuel-efficiency of regular pop-ups versus caboverless designs? Are there other lightweight aerodynamic options out there that could fit my basic needs? Are there examples of custom builds with better aerodynamics? A custom design like the old Toyota-based Chinooks or the Thaler design for the Jeep seems a lot more aerodynamic since the edges are faired out but it may not be possible to design something like that and still make it demountable. Any opinions, ideas, thoughts, rants would be highly appreciated. I know I am probably asking for the impossible but, as I've learned over the years, collective brainstorming in forums like this is half the fun of these projects.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The lightest and most aerodynamic options that come to mind:

The Coyote Geoden:

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/tcm-exclusive:-2012-phoenix-geo-den/

The Four Wheel Campers Cajita (looks like you already know about this one)

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/tcm-exclusive:-2011-four-wheel-camper-cajita/

And the Quicksilver (not usable when collapsed, however):

http://www.livinlite.com/camper-overview.php

Phoenix seems to have the most aerodynamic cab-over designs with a specially rounded nose and low-profile design, such as the PULSE.
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/tcm-exclusive:-2012-phoenix-pulse-self-contained/

I think even cab-over pop-up campers can be fairly aerodynamic, especially with a deflector between the top of the cab and the cab-over. I rely heavily on the extra space and storage of the cab-over, myself.

Last edited:

UglyScout

Observer
Get a regular pop-up - add an air dam and strip all the non-essential stuff out of the camper to decrease weight. Your 7 requirements almost all point to a standard popup... All of the micro popup options don't seem to have enough space for extended usage.

I've driven thousands of miles with my pop-up and the mileage hasn't been that bad compared to driving around empty (yes I have a diesel so that is apples to oranges...). The final weight of your setup and your driving style will really be big factors in the mileage.

Camuyano

All:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Tanglefoot: You make a good point about the Coyote/Phoenix. They do seem more aerodynamic. I also found an interesting post from the builder about the factors that affect fuel economy of cabover designs.

UglyScout: What you mean by adding an "air dam"? I searched online for truck camper cabover air dam or air deflectors but all I found was this. Many people (like Rob from Coyote/Phoenix) also recommended adding a camper to cab air pad. Is this what you're referring to?

Klahanie: Yes, I looked previously at fiberglass slide-ins but the cost and weight made them seem impractical at the time (although I had mostly seen the larger ones). I like the fact that they open like a van in back so one can add a tent annex for more space. In fact, my ideal camper would probably look very much like the Classic models from Spacecab but with a pop-top and shell door that could be converted to an annex. I am working on Google sketch-up model to explore the concept although I may end up modifying something off-the-shelf due to lack of time for a full-out custom build. We'll see.

Thanks again,

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Hi Camuyano;
Its been a long time.... great to see you online again!. I'm also glad to hear you are abandoning the DARKSIDE and retuning to the world of truck campers:)
I know it does not meet all your needs, but I think a great "minimalist" camper set up for a 1/2 ton is the Flip Pac. Also in the near future you may be able to get one of these to fit an F150/Tundra size truck:
dn-1.asp.jpegdn-2.asp.jpeg

Good luck with your quest
Cheers
Mark

haven

Expedition Leader
"...some may recognize my alias from the old ExpeditionCampers.com"

Folks, Camuyano was the creative force behind ExpeditionCampers.com, a web site that OutbacKamper and I inherited, and later merged with ExPo. I owe him a debt of gratitude for sending me down this path. It's great to have one of the pioneers back with us again!

Camuyano

Mark:

Good to "see" you again. I've followed the development of XPCamper with interest. I particularly like the fit and finish and the sleek interiors. It reminds me of the rigs I saw at the Unicat factory years ago but in a more manageable size. Do you have any additional specs or pricing for the compact XP yet? Judging by he build quality and prices for used prototypes on the XPCamper site, I'm guessing it'll be relatively pricey but no doubt well worth it. I'm afraid my budget is still at the level of the low-end pop-top units. If I ever cash out and go traveling for an extended period, I would take a serious look at the XPCamper.

Hey Haven:

Folks, Camuyano was the creative force behind ExpeditionCampers.com, a web site that OutbacKamper and I inherited, and later merged with ExPo. I owe him a debt of gratitude for sending me down this path. It's great to have one of the pioneers back with us again!

Thanks for the kind words but it is guys like you and Mark that have inspired me. I have been fortunate enough to undertake some cool short trips-sometimes on my own vehicles but mostly by more conventional means-but "open ended" vehicle dependent travel still remains an elusive dream of mine. Certainly forums like this help prove that the dream is possible. In the meantime, I appreciate everyone indulging my planning and scheming.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I wish I'd gotten to see the expeditioncampers.com site.

On air deflectors, this is something I made with things I had lying around: some weatherstrip pieces and four angle brackets. It does help get some of the air out of that gap and makes things quieter around the back of the cab.

P1020496.jpg

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Do you have any additional specs or pricing for the compact XP yet? Judging by he build quality and prices for used prototypes on the XPCamper site, I'm guessing it'll be relatively pricey but no doubt well worth it. I'm afraid my budget is still at the level of the low-end pop-top units.

Price is expected to be high 20's - low 30's which is not cheap by any means, but compares well to the approx. $50,000 for the "Thaler design for the Jeep" (Action Camper) that you mentioned in your original post.
Here is a preliminary list of specifications:
Features:
All Composite monocoque
construction Seamless composite roof
Outside storage compartment
Fiberglass countertop
Composite storage system
SMEV 2 burner cooktop
Spinflo Kitchen Centre
Electric Water Pump from Shurflo
130 L ( 4.2cuft) 12 V Danfoss compressor refrigerator
110V System w/ Power Converte
Interior LED lights
12V Porch Light
20lbs Composite Propane Tank
Fire extinguisher
33 Gallon heated fresh water tank
Water gauge
Standard queen bed (option @ $ 425.00 European spring mattress system) Under bed storage
Dining table
Dinette seating with Sunbrella fabrics and high quality foam
Under seat storage
Dual pane windows with privacy shades and mosquito netting
Safety Exit Electric
roof vent reversible
Heki sky hatch with privacy shades and mosquito netting
Propex HS 2000 Heater 6500 BTU
Tank less Hot water heater
Cassette toilet
Interior Shower set up
Outside shower
Build in access steps on entry door
150 amp AGM battery from Lifeline
Marine breaker panel and wiring throughout
3 x 12 v outlets
125 Watt Solar panel with charger

Cheers
Mark

UglyScout

Observer
All:

UglyScout: What you mean by adding an "air dam"? I searched online for truck camper cabover air dam or air deflectors but all I found was this. Many people (like Rob from Coyote/Phoenix) also recommended adding a camper to cab air pad. Is this what you're referring to?

What I meant was an air deflector/wing type dealio - like the kind you'd put on your yakima roof rack.

Like this:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6020/page__pid__67691__st__0&#entry67691

Last edited:

Camuyano

Tanglefoot: Thanks for the pic. That looks very similar to the air deflector described in the post from RV.Net. In that post they claim using perforated material is better because of the pressure differential or something like that but I don't know if that really helps. Anyway, aerodynamics is part art and part science so, without access to a wind tunnel or supercomputer with the latest airflow modeling software, one can only rely on anecdotal evidence.

UglyScout: Thanks for the link. I'll have to look at it more closely from home later. (Pics are blocked at the office!) I have seen some pics from guys on this site running that kind of "spoiler" and it does look very sleek. I will continue to explore the idea of buying a conventional cabover pop-up as this is probably the simplest and lowest cost path.

Mark: Thanks for the additional info on the compact XP. You are right, the price does not sound that high when compared to some of the other options for new camper+truck packages. For example, a basic mid or 1/2 ton full size like mine will probably set you back around $25K. Adding around $30K for the camper you're still coming around mid-50's. You could spend almost that for a nice new 1-ton diesel or Sprinter with 4WD conversion. Your mileage with the newer gas trucks would probably about equal to those vehicles (the Sprinter may do better if it is not a dually) and you can use regular gas which, at least in the US is still cheaper than diesel. You would have to watch the weight but, since I don't plan on tackling any crazy terrain, I don't need as much margin to be safe. I like it! Now let's see if I can convince the CFO! :) Anyway, I appreciate you keeping us informed as more details come out. (I'm dying to see some interior shots!:wings:)

hobiekaw

I don't know if you are still looking for a camper as this post is almost a year old, but I found this camper a while ago and it looks interesting. http://www.duracozy.com/ I had a Quicksilver and while the quality was nice, set up was cumbersome and it took some creative thinking to figure out how to load and unload from the truck. I have an 07 F150 4X4 with the 5.4L and with the Quicksilver I got about 19 mpg.

Vikb

Reviving an old thread. If I wanted a light slide in [non-pop up] with basic amenities [no shower/toilet] that would be decent for 1 person to spend a lot of time in and two could use in a pinch what would you suggest?

I've seen a lot of pimped out fancy slide ins, but only the pop-ups seem available with basic setups.

I'm going to travel around mountain biking for several months of the year and want a home base I can access quickly without having to raise the roof on a pop up, but I don't need much luxury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne