Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Aux Tanks for the JK

Default Two Aux Tanks for the JK

Does anyone know if it's possible to run two auxiliary fuel tanks on the JK? I'm speaking of the Long Ranger tank and the Gen Right tank.

I'm just thinking how one would run all of the wiring and plumbing.

The Long Ranger will only fit the JKU. The gen right is your only choice for the JK.
    JK 2dr rubi Garage
    2000 F350 CC LWB 7.3 4x4
    2003 F550 6.0 4x4
    2006 R1
    2011 military style adventure trailer

They make a 2-door version of the long ranger fuel tank....actually a few different versions.

I don't know how I would wire it all up. The easy answer would be to use a simple compact transfer pump from the aux tanks to the main tank. It would be the most primitive system, but would also only require one expensive fuel sending unit and pump to the engine. I believe the long ranger tank is smaller than the factory tank. You could basically run the factory tank down to 1/8 of a tank or so, then transfer the full amount from the Long ranger to the factory tank without fear of overfilling the factory tank. The gen-right tank is a little bigger than the factory 2-door tank I think....and maybe about the same size as the 4-door tank.....I think unless you where careful you might run the risk of overfilling the factory tank.

I think you could probably wire up two tanks with an electric selector for two factory sending units in the factory tank and gen right tank to give a little redundancy in critical engine systems. The downside being that you are introducing a lot of new leak and faliure points with the transfer valve. The transfer valve has to handle not only a pressurized fuel line, but also a return line going to the correct tank.

The simple route with just a transfer pump seems the best option to me....

I wish someone would make a rear mounted tank that would not require you to remove the rear floor sump area.

I'm still wondering about installing a 2nd stock tank on the other side of the driveshaft (in the same place the long ranger goes)

Can anyone get a price on a stock tank? (or I imagine you could find one off a wreck)

Obviously still needs wiring and a transfer pump.

-Dan
    WikiOverland, the encyclopedia of Overland Travel - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland with a car or motorbike across a country, continent or the world.
    The Road Chose Me - Driving a Jeep TJ from Alaska to Argentina

I was thinking about that the other day also. I think the major reason you don't see a 2nd stock tank is that there is no room for the exhaust pipe, and if you could squeeze the exhaust pipe in there its going to be very close to a plastic fuel tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Metcalf View Post
    I was thinking about that the other day also. I think the major reason you don't see a 2nd stock tank is that there is no room for the exhaust pipe, and if you could squeeze the exhaust pipe in there its going to be very close to a plastic fuel tank.
    I assume long ranger get away with it because the tank is not plastic?

I'd want a metal skid on the tank anyway (like the stock one), so you could make sure the skid separates the pipe and tank.... but it would probably still see some heat.

-Dan
    WikiOverland, the encyclopedia of Overland Travel - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland with a car or motorbike across a country, continent or the world.
    The Road Chose Me - Driving a Jeep TJ from Alaska to Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
    The Long Ranger will only fit the JKU. The gen right is your only choice for the JK.
    My bad, I was speaking of the JK Unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by grecy View Post
    I assume long ranger get away with it because the tank is not plastic?

I'd want a metal skid on the tank anyway (like the stock one), so you could make sure the skid separates the pipe and tank.... but it would probably still see some heat.

-Dan
    They get away with it because their tank is smaller than the factory tank. So they leave a few inches between the frame rail and the tank to route the exhaust. Plus they have a heat shield.

OK, I guess I have not kept up with the tank situation. Last thing I knew the LR only made the large tank. I have a question though. If you use both of them where does a muffler go?
    JK 2dr rubi Garage
    2000 F350 CC LWB 7.3 4x4
    2003 F550 6.0 4x4
    2006 R1
    2011 military style adventure trailer

Quote Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
    OK, I guess I have not kept up with the tank situation. Last thing I knew the LR only made the large tank. I have a question though. If you use both of them where does a muffler go?
    Straight pipe with the diesel wouldn't sound bad

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast