Two Aux Tanks for the JK

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
im not a jeep guy so excuse my noobness , but just wondering but would be possible to snorkel the exhaust? to get it out of youre way. or run the tubing so it likes like a fender bar or maybe feed it into the rock slider , something like that?

Jorsn

Adventurer
Long Ranger aux tank + GenRight aux tank would be like $2,500+ and that's not including labor.

Stock tank I believe is just under 22 gallons + Long Ranger 18 gallons + GenRight 20 gallons = 60 gallons. 360lbs of fuel

It would be a lot cheaper to go with something like this http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-p/rs-2tb.htm

Each side can hold two 4 gallon rotopax plus an additional 4 gallon rotopax fits across the top. So that's 20 gallons of fuel right there. $100 for each 4 gallon rotopax, So $500 + tire mount = $660.

^^I realize that this raises the center of gravity, But it will save you A LOT of money AND you can take it off whenever you don't need
it.
rotopax.jpg

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Pulling my trailer, I can't make it from gas station to gas station (yes there's gas in between, but I refuse to pay 1.89 (6.68 p/g) if I don't have to). If I keep my speed to 100/60 and do not have the trailer, I can just make it. Having to pull over and fill up 2 jerry cans sucks. A 2nd tank is on my to-do list.

As for the example above, there's no way someone is putting that much weight on their spare tire without a carrier or something.

Jorsn

Adventurer
Pulling my trailer, I can't make it from gas station to gas station (yes there's gas in between, but I refuse to pay 1.89 (6.68 p/g) if I don't have to). If I keep my speed to 100/60 and do not have the trailer, I can just make it. Having to pull over and fill up 2 jerry cans sucks. A 2nd tank is on my to-do list.

As for the example above, there's no way someone is putting that much weight on their spare tire without a carrier or something

Agreed.

That's correct. One of the first few mods people usually make is bigger tires/suspension and aftermarket bumpers.

SamM

Adventurer
As a DD, my new Sahara MOAB doesn't require a 40 gallon fuel tank capacity. I did call GenRight and ask about their 20 gal add-on tank for the JK. The kit comes with a cover to cut out the storage compartment from the back of the vehicle. I'm not sure that I really want to do that. I like the idea of having extra fuel but not carrying it around all the time. My solution will be to add a factory TJ fuel tank to the Schutt Industries adventure trailer that I am building. Maybe even 2, if I can get them to fit. This will double or triple my range and a small electric pump will handle transfer duty. This adds no weight to my truck and if it's not with me then, I don't need it. Everything will be carried on or in the trailer. The RTT, electrical power, extra fuel, water, food, tools, spares, etc... it all goes in the lockable trailer. It's the easiest solution.

RFBIII

FWIW I have AEV's spare tire fuel carrier. ~10.5 ga when ever I want to carry it. This gives me about 500 mile total range. I travel all over the US and take the jeep into the mountains for up to two weeks at a time. It is comforting to have that range for piece of mind when a day's walk or more into the wilderness. With the aev or with rotopax, I don't lose any inside storage and can have the extra fuel with my vehicle when I want it. I always have access to my fuel with a siphon and don't need to rely on an electric pump. Plus it is very easy to visually inspect the tank to see if it contains fuel or is damaged. An auxiliary fuel tank or two could be really nice, but much more expensive and complex. All that being said, one is on my mod list, just not until after the dual battery, rear camp kitchen / storage / fridge set up, additional lighting, ham communications, trailer, rtt, children's college tuition, retirement, .... ;-0
yzu6udag.jpg

2012 JKUR, AEV 3.5" dual sport lift, 35" BFG A/T's on AEV pintlers, AEV front and rear bumpers, AEV tire carrier
w/ fuel caddy, ACE rock rails, Warn 9.5 winch, IPF off road lights, wife, teenage boys, rescue shelter dogs,
rescue shelter cat, and bearded dragon

RFBIII

... And a picture of the fuel caddy.
ysajemy9.jpg

2012 JKUR, AEV 3.5" dual sport lift, 35" BFG A/T's on AEV pintlers, AEV front and rear bumpers, AEV tire carrier
w/ fuel caddy, ACE rock rails, Warn 9.5 winch, IPF off road lights, wife, teenage boys, rescue shelter dogs,

SamM

Adventurer
Great option RFBIII. I have plans for an AEV fuel carrier too. Is there a lockable cap for that? Without a lockable cap my concern would be someone tampering with my fuel. My first Jeep mod was a locking gas cap. I lived in the city for awhile, thankfully, I no longer do. People here are known to steal fuel from time to time. I keep my stuff locked to keep honest men honest. My plan was to get the black AEV carrier and use it for extra hot water not fuel. A few rotopax mounted in my trailer is also a great option. There is not much to go wrong with an electric transfer pump, if you know what you are doing. The key is buying good parts in the first place.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Interesting debate and one that I have been debating myself as well lately. I don't argue with the possible need at all. I have already thinking about possibly adding both. But I do like the argument about one plus the add needed container option. I have also always wondered, what is the inflection point. For instance, at what point does the added weight of the additional fuel reduce mpg to the point that it doesn't justify carrying it. I don't have an answer, and have considered testing the theory. Something to think about...

RFBIII

I'm not aware of a locking cap and I don't have one for the main fuel tank either. If anyone does know of one for the fuel caddy please let me know. But I don't live where I need to worry too much.

Your point about quality is well taken. I normally just try to error on the side of simpler systems when I can. But quality always counts.

Last edited:

profdlp

Adventurer
...I have also always wondered, what is the inflection point. For instance, at what point does the added weight of the additional fuel reduce mpg to the point that it doesn't justify carrying it. I don't have an answer, and have considered testing the theory. Something to think about...
At roughly six pounds per gallon (gas is lighter than water), I don't thing you could have one on any practical level. On the purely theoretical level, towing a tanker car full of gas might get you to the point of negative returns if you ignore the towing capacity of the Jeep - which is not going to be possible in a real-world situation. (In other words, an enormous load of gas might drop your MPG to the point where you'd be better off unhitching it and going solo, but you wouldn't be able to move it to begin with.)

I like to break things down into simple terms, so here's a bizarre "what-if": What if you had a 300-pound passenger aboard who could magically extend your range by the equivalent of 50 gallons of gas just by being on board? (300 pounds divided by 6 pounds per gallon equals 50 gallons.) Would it be worth having him along on a cross-country trip? Sure, your MPG would be a bit lower, but the time you'd save refilling would be worth it, not to mention the security of knowing you're not going to run out any time soon after filling up. Take into account the fact that he would be steadily losing weight after every fillup along the way and it's a no-brainer.

I know that during the gas crisis of the 1970s we were all warned not to constantly drive around topped off because of the cumulative effect of the weight of the extra gas, but no one with a long range tank is likely to stay full up all the time anyway. Besides, in those days you bought gas whenever and wherever you had the chance since you never knew when you'd find another open station. (Remember the Odd-Even policy in place for a while?) A guy or gal going far enough from civilization to warrant the extra fuel is in much the same position.

Finally, not to pick any fights, especially since I'm new here, but the fact that someone wants to do it ought to be enough reason. I got my first Jeep back in May (and am still learning), but the first thing I did was to put a big roof rack on it. I intend to use it after I finish college in a few months, but I mainly got it just because I'd always wanted one. Some people warned me that it would cut my mileage a bit and might be noisy, but balanced against the fact that I just really like the thing, who cares? :)

SamM

Adventurer
There is definitely a point of diminishing returns when it comes to hauling gas around. I look at the videos of guys driving to the Simpson Desert and back with fuel for over 1000 miles of exploring and know that I don't need anything like that. I believe 20 gallons of fuel would be reasonable for me. My JK holds 18.9 gallons. That would be nothing in my adventure trailer as it can carry 2500lbs. The benefit is not carrying that weight around on my trips back and forth to work everyday. Keeping the weight of the Jeep low keeps the fuel consumption from getting worse. I feel the same about big lifts and wheels. Keep it reasonable. For the same reason my planned RTT will also go on the trailer. If people only use their Jeeps only as Expedition Vehicles then, this would all be pointless.

I don't expect my solution to work for everyone. Some do not like to tow trailers. I love towing and I'm good at it, having done it professionally. Ironically, I find pickup trucks worthless as a good trailer can easily replace a pickup. Your mileage may vary!

RFBIII

Finally, not to pick any fights, especially since I'm new here, but the fact that someone wants to do it ought to be enough reason.

I agree whole heatedly! The reason I got a jeep in the first place is solely to modify it the way I want too. Make it a reflection of my values and personality; allow it to meet my needs. That's why Jeeps are so much fun, the basic package is capable but also the ultimate Rorschach test for hands on engineering.

BTW, I really do want the auxiliary gas tank, just not as much as I ?need? the other items on MY priority list. All, please post your write ups and pictures so we can see the results and adjust our priorities as appropriate.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
One thing to remember is that the Australian aux fuel tanks all seem to fill last when at the station. That means that you don't have to use it unless you need it. Another plus is that the fuel is under the Jeep, keeping room available on the tire carrier for other things. It's definitely an expensive option, but I can understand the need for it even here in the US. Ever traveled across central Oregon? I just wish someone would buy the LRA tank and do a write up on it so I don't have to. I find it much easier to follow someone else then to strike out on my own!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles