Howling Moon Alu Awn 2.5M + Wall set question.

Airmonger

Adventurer
I am looking for an awning and have narrowed it down to the Eezi Awn and the Howling Moon Alu Awn in a 2.5 m size. From the looks of it the they have the same features other than the Eezi Awn is a retractable awning and the HM is not. I have yet to see either in person but I am also assuming that Eezi Awn gets a slight advantage in build quality, but is also costs 50% more.

My question is will the Howling Moon wall set fit on the 2.5m Alu Awn? From what I understand there is only one wall set and it fits the standard 2.5m HM awning.

I also looked at the Hannibal but it appears to be out of stock for the next 2 months and is still more expensive. Although is a has considerable design advantages.

Any help would be great and I'll make sure to post a photo and maybe some video with commentary when I get this sorted out.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Hi Airmonger,
I can answer these for you.
Firstly, you are correct in comparing the Eezi-Awn to the Howling Moon. While they do have similar features, sizes etc, you are incorrect in assuming Howling Moon to be of inferior quality. Howling Moon has been making canvas goods in South Africa for over 30 years, just like Eezi Awn, and they are considered very much equals in many respects. You may find that the actual aluminum casing on the AluAwn to be more robust than its Eezi awn counterpart. You are quite correct also in that we do not use a retractable system. We have just never found the spring mechanism to hold up as well as they should; and if you want a better spring system, it has to be extremely bulky.
Our wallsets share common dimensions, but are made of different fabrics. The Alu Awn is grey in color, and has a grey poly-cotton wallset. The Safari Awn, comes in a soft bag (as opposed to aluminum case), and it's wallset is made of the olive poly-cotton ripstop fabric. Both are very hardy and have great longevity.

We currently have Alu Awns in stock, but are about 2 months out on wallsets. We currently have 2.5m Safari Awns and wallsets in stock and ready to ship.

Give me a call and we'll get you set up. Here is what the wallset and awning look like.
Safari Awn Wallset1.jpg
This is actually a picture of the vehicle from Long Way Down, with Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman.

Airmonger

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. The wall sets look awesome. I like the size of the window screens. Any reason for the color difference?

Last edited:

Airmonger

Adventurer
Roo,

Is there any difference between the construction of the Alu Awn Wall Set and the Safari Awn Wall set other than the color? I got a quote from Sierra Expedition for a Alu Awn Wall set and it was almost TWICE what your website has the Safari Awn Wall set listed at! :Wow1: Needless to say I almost choked when I heard that quote!

"2.5m wallset - $376" - BunduGear.com

I hear your moving to a new warehouse. Good luck.

Airmonger

Adventurer
A package arrived today with my name on it.

2f88b72c.jpg

Over all the awning looks very nice. The only problem was one of the rivets was missing from the plastic end cap. No big deal as I had the right size rivet in the shop. The one thing that concerns me is the ends are plastic not aluminum, but compared to my old camping labs 4 footer its a whole different world. Just waiting to get my awning mounts from bajarack and Ill have some photos of it installed and set up. I am also still waiting to hear back from bundu gear about the wall set.

970831d4.jpg

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Hi Airmonger!
Glad you like the awning. The missing rivet bugs me, and i'll follow that up with the factory, as we have a direct line there and like to keep them informed if anything like this comes up. We will, of course, rectify this any way we can. I got a note that there may have been some issues. I apologies for any lack of contact. Just heard today, and have also been moving the business and home to Phoenix the last few days. Lets chat in the morning. I'll give you a call to sort anything out and see if we need to rush a replacement awning out to you.

Also, I apologize for the pricing issue on the wallset! Wil was quite correct in the pricing he gave you, which came from me. As you can see from the pics, the wallset is pretty extensive and has a LOT of canvas and coverage; hence the higher price. Our website is in fact incorrect, and I'll rectify that ASAP. In the meantime, we'll work with you on the price, to make up for our error.
Cheers, and thanks for the pics.
Rou

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Holy Cow:yikes:
That looks like maybe it got the snot beaten out of it in shipping!
New one on the way to you! We'll send a return shipping label for that broken one as well. We'll have you back and rocking an awning in no time.

and we can probably take this offline as well:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles