The next step was to figure out how to attach the bumper to the uni-body. This is the part that I riddled with last time I did one of these. It just blows my mind to attach a winch bumper to a unitized chassis. A frame would offer a tremendous amount of confidence. In this case, I have to remember that I did it before, and even used to the winch to dead pull it out of the mud in a river up to the middle of the doors, so I am going to go the same route. The first step was to get access to the holes in the side of the chassis' boxed "frame rails". In order to to this I need to make room for a plate to slide inside the holes. The holes start out as ovals, and I need them to be rectangles, so out comes the die grinder again..
First mark the approx. locations of the cuts
Then get after it with a die grinder and try to make decent straight cuts
Then I just pull out the pieces
The result gives me straight out access to the inside of the boxed material
Now that I am to this point...
I decided to pull out the winch and mock it up for position. The location and height of the winch determines the limit to approach angle. I see a lot of bumpers where the winch sits up on top of the bumper, and that just adds to the leverage of the brackets attached to the weak sauce chassis, so I decide to split the difference and will try to mount it just about here