Camping in Prescott

3konas

Observer
I was thinking of Camping at White Spar for the Whiskey Off Road. I noticed they don't take reservations. If I showed up on Thursday what are my chances of finding a spot? Can anyone recommend another a camping spot? I would prefer free and fairly close to town. Ideally, park the rig and ride into town, say, no more than a 25-30 minute ride. I'm aware this is a very busy weekend so I'm trying to get a idea what to expect. I'm not familiar with Prescott. Rode 2 trails there last year and loved it. I'm leaving Seattle on Sunday for Moab, ride a few days then heading to Prescott. Excited to get back to Prescott and ride!

Thanks for your help!
Brent

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
White Spar CG will be full by mid morning on Friday. It will be surprisingly full on Thursday, but I'd imagine you have a good chance of snagging a spot.

By the way, I'm sitting on my deck right now in amazing spring sun with temps slated to be in the upper 60s and low 70s for today and through race day next week. The trails are as good as they've been in years at this time of the spring. This year's Whiskey Offroad is going to be genuinely epic. The list of pros headed out here is impressive.

Going to be a great weekend!

DesertBoater

Adventurer
If you're alright with fewer amenities (no pit toilet, picnic table, etc) there is dispersed camping all around town...just a few minutes from the CG is a small FS road with lots of approved camping sites. Same thing goes out past Thumb Butte, although that might be a slightly longer (faster) ride down into town. It's kinda a bummer that the city doesn't open up the fairgrounds to camping when there isn't an event going on...I spent a couple nights in the Port Townsend fairgrounds last summer and it was a good, quiet, just-out-of-town place to stay.

Cheers,
West

thecriscokid

Explorer
The White Spar is a nice paved campground and when I showed up it looked like someone had raked the tent gravel area like a Japanese Zen Garden. Well kept for sure

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Brent, we're supposed to have rain most of Thursday. My guess is that may reduce the number of campers rolling into White Spar CG on that day. Some of the pros are already in town as are a few of the support and event crews.

Light rain all day on Thursday = wickedly tacky and fun trails on Saturday. WOOOOOOOOOOO!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94