97 Montero LS Question

rustyjames

Observer
Hey guys,

I have the opportunity to purchase a one owner 97 Montero LS. 119k miles, very clean in and out with lots of maintenance records. Was wondering what a fair price would be for this vehicle??? Also, any issues with this year/model that I should look out for. Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

scrubber3

Not really here
Not being able to see it in person, I'd say less than 5k depending on how nice it is and the area you are at. Be sure the timing belt was done before now and if it hasn't been adjust the price for it.

Clem

Adventurer
I paid $5K for a '99 with the 3.5L engine and locking rear diff. and about 96K miles. I think the LS has a smaller engine and no locker, so that is something to think about.

Good luck,

Clem

rustyjames

Observer
The ad says it has the 3.5 liter V6, no mention of a rear locker. Is the SR the only package that offered a locker? I'm going to have a look at it today. The asking price is $4300.

Thanks

skinzluch

Adventurer
Yes, the SR is the only one that came with a rear locker. The LS has a 3.0-liter engine as opposed to the SR's 3.5. The SRs also usually have a large sunroof, power seats, leather and adjustable suspension. I ended up buying an LS because it came with a 5-speed. And the cloth seats in the LS last longer than the leather ones. Leather always seems to look tired after 15 years or so, if it's not maintained.

I'd say $3800-$4000 would be a market price. You'll probably save in the long run with a well-maintained vehicle though. I've got 217,000 miles on mine and it's still going strong. If you love it, go with your gut.

Issues: mine has a ticking sound when cold. According to my mechanic, and others on the forum, this could either be an exhaust manifold or valve lifters. In any case, it's nothing to worry about. Also, they tend to leak oil from the camshaft seals, front and back. I think it's about $800 to have them fixed. (I just payed $400 to have the rear ones done--I can't remember what I paid for the front ones.) Other than that it's just be scheduled maintenance.

Good luck!

Since it is an LS and it has the no locker, no sunroof, cloth seats etc., I would say $3000-3400 is a fair price. All U.S. spec 1997 Montero came with the 3.5 engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94