Repurposed Spare Cover

Imnosaint

Adventurer
I'm not really into recycling, I'm just cheap. In researching jerry can mounts and places to mount them on the Gen III Monty (there really aren't any, though Inyo_man engineered this fine mount), I came across RotoPax, made by Great Outdoors LLC in Utah. They've created a clever pack (can) and mount system that uses the spare for a foundation.

RotoPax.jpg

Trouble is this particular mount is out of stock, and for the Monty I'd only be able to use one mount on top of the tire instead of flanking it with two due to the right side tail lights and license plate being obscured.

The first mod I made on the Monty when I bought it a few years ago was ridding it of the gentrifying spare tire cover. It was cracked and the clearcoat was peeling off like a bad sunburn. It's trained behind a shed in the backyard all this time; perfect material for a mount of my own making.

cover.jpg

I rough cut a 20" section out of the cover, dog-eared and cleaned it up with a file. I thought the material might be too brittle to have any tensile strength or be workable, but it worked well.

plate2.jpg

I then cut four 2" slots for a 1.5 inch cargo strap, and then using material from an old donor Pelican case fashioned a 5" by 7" plate and riveted it to the spare-cover plate. The result...

platemount2.jpg

This will be used to mount the pack mount that will hold two three-gallon gas packs.

RX-PM-DLX-D-01.jpg

Solid, no torque that I can induce on it. My only concern is adding the weight of six gallons of fuel to the door mechanism.

Road tests to follow...

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Can you mount them at the 10:00 and 2:00pm points on the spare?

To check how they behave off road, I'd have a friend drive it on a bumpy trail while I follow closely behind watching what the tanks do.:ylsmoke:

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Can you mount them at the 10:00 and 2:00pm points on the spare?

To check how they behave off road, I'd have a friend drive it on a bumpy trail while I follow closely behind watching what the tanks do.:ylsmoke:

I never thought of ten and two. Of course that'd work. As for the road test, I thought I'd observe from the RTT.

Thanks for the tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online