Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Provan Tiger options?

Here is some interesting info I found regarding curb weights and capacities for the trucks. Note this doc is talking about requirements for replacing the pickup beds with different bodies, rather than building onto a cab and frame chassis, but much of the info is still pertinent.

http://www.ntea.com/docid/default.aspx?id=25395

Here are some data from a gentleman who bought a Ford based Tiger in the last year:

The GVWR for my 2011 F350 Lariat extended cab is 11,000 lbs, the front GAWR is 5,200 lbs and the rear 7,000 lbs. For a Ford 350, the rear axle itself is rated at 7,280#'s, the spring pack is rated at 7,000#'s. The determining factor for the rear GAWR is the tires. According to Ford's specification, my LT275/70R 18E tires can support 3,640 lbs when inflated at 80 psi.

Prior Weights:
    09/06/2011 at delivery: Front - 4,080, Rear - 5,600, Total 9,700 lbs
    12/05/2011 fully loaded: Front - 4,540, Rear - 6,660, Total 11, 200 lbs

SmartWeigh:
    This past week I was at an
    Rally and had each wheel weighed fully loaded including gas, fresh water & LP. Here are the results
    Right Front - 2,175 (passenger side)
    Left Front - 2,300 (driver side)
    Total Front - 4,475 lbs

Right Rear - 3,300
    Left Rear - 3,480
    Total Rear - 6,780

Vehicle Total - 11,255 lbs

ANALYSIS:
    According to the December & April weights, I run 200 to 250 lbs over the GVWR. According to the April weight, I have 725 lbs to spare on the front GAWR, but only have 220 lbs remaining on the rear GAWR of 7,000 lbs. However, the 7,000 lb rating is due to the spring pack and, since I have SumoSprings, I think that I actually have more reserve in the rear.

Critical Issue - The critical issue is the Left Rear weight of 3,480 lbs on a tire rated at 3,640 lbs. That means I only have 160 pounds of reserve on the Left Rear. This reserve is comsumed whenever I fill-up the grey and black water tanks. Thirty gals of dirty water is about 250 pounds.

Summary:
    Understanding how much your Tiger weighs front and rear combined with the fact that the left side might be loaded more than the right is important when packing for that 4 week plus boon docking trip. Also knowing the load limit for your tires is very important.

Adding boxes or/and mounting motorcycles on the rear could easily bring you over the rated tire ratings and GAWR.

These data offered for your consideration with no guarantees.
    --
    DiploStrat

Web: http://diplostrat.org

Certified Expo Poseur - Lives on Paved Road

Quote Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
    We've rented a lot in Australia and NZ and love the small diesel campers there, but have looked in vain for something similar in the US until we ran across Provan.
    The only other small diesel 4x4 I would recommend is a used Sportsmobile Ford diesel. Ford discontinued the diesel for their vans about 3 years ago, so you would have to buy used, or go gas. SMB does offer diesel Sprinters, but isn't allowed to modify them to 4X4 like they do the Fords.

Quote Originally Posted by jebers53 View Post
    Last june we purchased the Blackwells "white acorn" after it's little 80000mi 18 month break in America's tour. Upgrades I would consider:2. Crew cab is a no brainier ( never have enough storage)
    LOL!! I guess I'm brainless then. I prefer the extended cab, because in addition to the boonies, I sometimes want to go to the city and fit in a parallel metered spot. I think crew cab is really pushing that. Extended cab with French doors will allow me to modify the seats to swivel without hitting anything, then have just enough foot space. I plan to have regular height Aluminess box on right rear and a double stacked box on the left with fuel rack above that. Spare will go on Aluminess front bumper. All these (along with taller tires and suspension) will be high enough that bumpers on standard cars will clear them when maneuvering to parallel park. Those extras will give me the storage I need, and the cab size with swivel seats will make useable the normally wasted space of the front seats. Hopefully, the reinforcement Provan does to the frame will compensate for the lack of the B pillar. I used to worry about that, but no Tiger has ever broken the frame or reinforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    LOL!! I guess I'm brainless then. I prefer the extended cab, because in addition to the boonies, I sometimes want to go to the city and fit in a parallel metered spot. I think crew cab is really pushing that. Extended cab with French doors will allow me to modify the seats to swivel without hitting anything, then have just enough foot space. I plan to have regular height Aluminess box on right rear and a double stacked box on the left with fuel rack above that. Spare will go on Aluminess front bumper. All these (along with taller tires and suspension) will be high enough that bumpers on standard cars will clear them when maneuvering to parallel park. Those extras will give me the storage I need, and the cab size with swivel seats will make useable the normally wasted space of the front seats. Hopefully, the reinforcement Provan does to the frame will compensate for the lack of the B pillar. I used to worry about that, but no Tiger has ever broken the frame or reinforcement.
    I like the extended cab version, too. Would go with regular cab, but I think we do need the extra storage. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Provan will build a Tiger on the short-wheelbase Ram chassis, even with the crew cab, and all the long-wheelbase versions are just as long as the biggest crew cab Ford and Chevy, I think. I'm going down to their new CA dealer in Fremont next week, and that's one of the things I will try to find out. We will probably want a bike or scooter rack on the back, and the overall length gets a bit long with the crew cabs.

Other mods we are likely to consider are 19.5 wheels and tires for increased load handling, but without duals. I'm also going to see if we can get a cassette toilet in place of the tank model.

How do you plan on getting the seats to swivel, if I can ask? Won't you have problems with the air bag sensors, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
    How do you plan on getting the seats to swivel, if I can ask? Won't you have problems with the air bag sensors, etc?
    I will first try to build an adaptor to go between the floor and bottom of the swivel. I will replace the seats with nice captian's charis; if we are going to spend that much time sitting, I want the most comfortable seat possible. If the adaptor doesn't work I will do exactly what Jay Shapiro did on his F-650 build (and will use the same seats as he regardless):

In the following thread, see posts 155, 492, and 495

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...dition-Vehicle

Also see here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayshap...57621739529980

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12