Need help finding a tent - Family of 5

SilverBullet

Explorer
Hey all, we are considering a new tent since we sold the tent trailer last January out of financial necessity.

I have been looking at lots of videos and the Coleman Instant Tent series keeps coming up not only for its ease of use, but for the thick material and durability. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

We need suggestions on a tent for the whole family and the dog (hence the thicker floor interest).

5Runner

Adventurer
I am in the same market right now. A tent for a family of 5 plus a dog that sleeps with us.

I am looking for a four-season tent however, as we do pretty rugged trips. I want a small one, so we can fit easier at some primitive sites where tent space is small. We sleep and change in the tent, that's it, so cozy is good.

We bought an REI Base Camp 4. For a lot of reasons, it's a great tent...but it's not working for us. Luckily REI will take any returns. I am returning it after one season of issues.

-Issue...it's not four season. One trip last fall we had snow blowing in under the fly and through the mesh. Last weekend in Moab we had sand doing the same thing. An hour with my very upset daughter in the middle of the night as she tried to cry out the sand that blasted her face. SUCKY. Their hella expensive, but my family and our destinations are worth it...four season is the way for us...

...However...it's not easy finding the right sized/priced four-season tent. Most are not for big families. Price is around $500 to $1000 and more. Ouch...but still...not a good night in Moab for my daughter that night.

Anyone else find a good 4-season tent for a big family? suggestions?

Sorry to piggyback your thread, but maybe my experiences will give you something to think about.

I need mesh doors that have solid zip up covers over them.

61rover

Observer
It might be a little tight, but we have an REI Base Camp-4 and we love it. It's been to the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, and on may trips here in Colorado. REI makes a Base Camp-6 which might give you more room.

It doesn't have the heavy floor, but I think it would hold up fine. It's a great tent.

Moody

Needs to get out more
I know nothing of the Coleman tents in recent years. My experience hasn't been great with them, many are poorly made, fiberglass poles, etc. Experience tells me that one thing you NEVER want to skimp on is your tent.

That is a tough tradeoff 5 runner. I use a Mountain Hardwear Trango 4 for my family when I need a bombproof 4 season tent. There's no way we could fit our dog in there with us. They are pricey @ ~$700. There are other companies that make similar 4 season tents, such as Big Agnes. Other than the Trango, we use a Springbar Traveler. I would dare say the Springbar is a 4 season tent (they used one at Everest base camp a few years back). The floor on the Springbar is amazingly heavy-duty. No problem with dogs or kids in there.

Just my thoughts...

jCubed

Adventurer
I'm using the Colemen Easy up system. And I've got to say I love it. It's the large two room system and we got it for around $169 with coupons. Go wife!

Super easy to put up and take down, like under 1-2 mins! I've only had it one season but it worked well and held up so far.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
We bought an REI Base Camp 4. For a lot of reasons, it's a great tent...but it's not working for us. Luckily REI will take any returns. I am returning it after one season of issues.

-Issue...it's not four season. One trip last fall we had snow blowing in under the fly and through the mesh. Last weekend in Moab we had sand doing the same thing. An hour with my very upset daughter in the middle of the night as she tried to cry out the sand that blasted her face. SUCKY.

5Runner, that is very interesting. I have used an older version of the BaseCamp tents for multi-season use and never had that experience, and I used our tent in similar conditions (including up to 75mph winds in the desert), and had none of that. But I just realized why! The newer tent design has a ventilation strip down low, good for hot climates, but I can see where wind could play havok with that. I'll have to keep that in mind.

1196012066_nyN34-XL.jpg

5Runner

Adventurer
^^^ Love the picture! That's what I'm talking about.

Thanks, Moody. I'm looking at the Angus tents. The Mountain hardware one I also deemed too small.

G jeep

I would say base camp 6 from rei. We are 4 people with a dog and it has plenty of room. We have had it in high winds (60 mph) plus and horrible rain and it has been problem free. We have a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that is cut to protect the inside floor of the tent. No tent is perfect for every situation and true 4 season large tents are difficult to find.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I did a quick Google search and found some cool ones:

http://www.alaskatent.com/oven.html
large_1008_mk_1.jpg

http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-2-meter-dome-tent-8-person-4-season

Note, there is also a smaller Dome 5: http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-tents-filter-category-expedition/dome-5.html

That Mountain Hardware Trango seems pretty cool:
http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hardwear-trango-3.1-tent-3-person-4-season-mhw1052

Not sure what these are, but the tents from Arctic Kingdom look purposeful:
http://www.arctickingdom.com/catalogues/
DSC_2093_5135_edited-1.jpg

Not sure which North Face tent this is, but its a cool photo:
tent_zw.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
Hey all, we are considering a new tent since we sold the tent trailer last January out of financial necessity.

I have been looking at lots of videos and the Coleman Instant Tent series keeps coming up not only for its ease of use, but for the thick material and durability. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

We need suggestions on a tent for the whole family and the dog (hence the thicker floor interest).

We are selling the trailer and started our search for a tent :) And found that everyone recomending a kodiak or spring bar was correct :) for us at least :)

Family of 4 and a dog we want it to have enough height to stand up in and enough room to get the kids dressed easy in the morning
Our trailer is a top quality African canvas and I love canvas for its ability to stay cooler when hot and stay warmer when cool and block light allowing us to sleep in if we want :)
We looked at nylon tents to save weight and size bought a nice marmot decided we want canvas ended up with a kodiak canvas and love it !
We had a coleman instant up screen room but returned it did not like the quality ?

Depending on budget of course I would give a serious look at the kodiaks or spring bars !

We are not worried about the floor in our kodiak but are laying down cotton canvas to give a bit more durable and a bit softer and warm on the toes in the morning

Arctic Cat

Adventurer
I going to suggest 2 tents, they are both military surplus tent and both can be obtained for about $400 to $600 (used) They are both 4 season tents and they are heater stove capable, but on the heavy side. I personally own one of each. For cold weather they can be equip with tent liners.
I usually set this tent all by myself

Command Post Tent System (SICUP)

This tent is heavy and can be set by two persons in about 20 minutes, I usually set myself in about 45 minutes to an hour. I use this one when I want to stay in comfort and for longer stays 4 days or more.

Peak Height 7'
Diameter 11'x11'
Weight ( including poles) 482 lbs
Floor Area 121 sq. ft
stove pipe vent 1
Doors 1

4 Men Crew Tent

This one can be set up by one person in 5 minutes
Peak Height 5'
Diameter 10'x10'
Weight ( including poles) 65 lbs
Floor Area 120 sq. ft
stove pipe vent 1
Doors 2

SilverBullet

Explorer
Okay, so things have changed a bit. With the help of Martyn (AT, and a huge thank you) if the Wildnernest fits, I am going to borrow it as a sales trial run in Moab for Crawl 4 Christ.

There is no mattress in it, so I need Thermarest or pad recommendations and the size I am looking for (since I don't have it yet).

nwoods

Expedition Leader
No idea what size the Wildernest is, but I really like the REI 2.5 camp pad. It comes in different lengths, I use the XL, and its almost long enough for my 6'-7". REI products come with lifetime warranty. My daughter used it to play trampoline and somehow crushed the air valve. REI replaced it no questions asked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles