JK Tailgate Tables - The lowdown

Septu

Explorer
Lots of good info here. Question though... do you really want to be cooking on the tailgate with the back of the JK open? Wouldn't the smell of cooked food, plus leaving the JK open for an extended period of time (bugs, mosquitoes, etc) cause issues?

For me, it's somewhat a moot point having just purchased a CND M101 to take along on my travels. But it's always been a thought. There's times (as recently as a few weeks ago) where it could have been handy for food prep and whatnot as we were cooking hot dogs on the trail... but I wouldn't want the JK that close to the fire (smoke) with the back open.

Or am I just being too anal and overthinking things?

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Use the tailgate table for whatever you want! :)

I haven't used mine for cooking - when I get to camp I set up a collapsible table with more workspace for that purpose. But while I'm on the trail, I'll use the tailgate table to make sandwiches on a quick pitstop.

wanabxtrm

Observer
A work in progress...

Started acquiring bits and pieces months ago trying to figure out how I was going To make mine. I finally got some progress and actually got something that is worth posting about. Here are a few of my mock ups, and two now that the frame is attached to the tailgate. It'll have 2 shelves, and a slide out cutting board in addition to the removable one you see on top of the steel tabletop (which could be inserted on the opposite end that's been slid out, basically tripling the space). It's almost all hardware store parts and stuff I have lying around (yet to be installed gas strut excluded).

Issues were making it compatible with a gas strut mount along the bottom and simply squaring/fitting everything to the jeep to maximize size/space/collapsibility. Nutsertes were needed on the left but not the right. Once I'm done I'll try to find time to post specific details if anyone wants to shamelessly pirate it.

Cheers,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

JKFlyfisher

I ended up using weathercoated jack nuts. The reason was two-fold, I wanted something rubber in the middle to keep dampen any rattling and didn't want water to easily flow down into the tailgate (I fish a lot in the rain). They worked great! A little bit of steel angle and 3/32nds cable and it was all set and ready to go. Install probably took about 3 hours total (there was a lot of screwing around and beer involved too).

I used black bbq spray paint i had laying around for the whole thing after a nice coat of primer. I am considering using that neverwet stuff on it too just for kicks. I found the best way to get the wire cut was using a dremel and a grinder, way better of a cut than fussing around with wire cutters.

Also, a critical part of using the jack nuts was NOT to exceed 9 lb on a torque wrench. I over cranked the first one (wasn't using a torque wrench, dumb-*** mistake) and stripped it. I ended up being able to crush it with a pair of vice grips and get the big chunk out. After that, the little bits fell down by the vent holes there and I was able to tease them out with forceps. It was like playing operation, so there's a useful skill from my childhood.

I don't know if 3 on each side is truly necessary. You might as well though if it gives you piece of mind. I like your design. I left the plastic wire covering on the tailgate, purely for aesthetic reasons. The second shelf is certainly a neat idea.

Any idea how you're going to lock it in the upright position? I'm still working on a solution myself. IMG_2536.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
How about another take on a "tailgate table"? This isn't a JK, but since this idea mounts on any spare, that shouldn't matter :).

SideSwapTable2_zps30954c2d.jpg

When not in use, it folds up:

SideSwapTable1_zps27a38cdc.jpg

In addition to serving as a table, cargo can be carried on it (the cargo isn't strapped on in this photo, obviously it would need to be):

ExRackCooler1.jpg

Septu

Explorer
How about another take on a "tailgate table"? This isn't a JK, but since this idea mounts on any spare, that shouldn't matter :).

In addition to serving as a table, cargo can be carried on it (the cargo isn't strapped on in this photo, obviously it would need to be):

ExRackCooler1.jpg

Would be a lot of weight sitting on the spare, and the tailgate hinges. With all the complaints about how anything larger than a 33" tire will ultimately lead to issues with the gate and the hinges, I wouldn't recommend the above unless you have some sort of aftermarket tire carrier.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Would be a lot of weight sitting on the spare, and the tailgate hinges. With all the complaints about how anything larger than a 33" tire will ultimately lead to issues with the gate and the hinges, I wouldn't recommend the above unless you have some sort of aftermarket tire carrier.
yup, I've got an Exogate tailgate reinforcement/large spare carrier on this Jeep, the weight of this table/cargo carrier isn't a problem.

TailgateTest1.jpg

ExRackTest2.jpg

nickcornaglia

Hello All.
New member but I've been lurking since last year when I bought my 2013 2dr JK.

My buddy from work was looking for a tailgate table. I was looking for a way to hang tool bags to the tailgate.

In our search we found this site but he decided to make his own version.
He made a new tailgate table/rack that he began selling at the PAJeeps show in York, PA where it received a really good response.
(I dont work for him but I helped him at the show as he has a TJ and I have a JK....and I helped him with his website).

It's a rack that mounts on the inside of your tailgate. It has holes to mount MOLLE bags and folds out as a table. It also has a slide out ABS plastic extension table as well.
Very good quality. Easy to install. I've had mine for about 1-1/2 months and it works great.

Thought you might want to add it to the list. I'll direct him to this thread/post as well.

Some features include:
  • Huge Workspace! 25” x 12.5”
  • 14-Gauge Galvanized Steel
  • Black Wrinkle Powder Coated
  • Textured Plastic Pull-Out Extension
  • Stainless Steel Hardware
  • 75 lb. Weight Capacity
  • Fits JK & JK Unlimited
  • Fits TJ & LJ (w/minor hinge bracket modification)
  • Fits YJ
  • MOLLE Bag Compatible
  • Installation template included
  • Proudly Made in the USA!!!

http://www.kroboffroad.com

animation01.gif

luk4mud

Explorer
^Cool table and great price point. Unfortunately, your post leaves out one very meaningful piece of information (from the website and ebay listing). What are the "special considerations needed for subwoofer"? I suspect most of us will choose another option rather than fuss with the subwoofer.

Last edited:

nickcornaglia

^Cool table and great price point. Unfortunately, your post leaves out one very meaningful piece of information (from the website and ebay listing). What are the "special considerations needed for subwoofer"? I suspect most of us will choose another option rather than fuss with the subwoofer.

There was no definitive answer on the subwoofer because he didint have a JK on had to test first hand.
At the PA Jeeps show he had two buyers with subwoofers report back.

In the position shown above...the rack hits the subwoofer by 1/2"...
...but by positioning the rack over to the right...it clears the subwoofer just fine.

The only difference is that you're installing the right bracket 1/16" out because of the small jump on the body on the inside of the tailgate.
but over 20+ inches.....you cant even notice and the unit still works/looks as intended.

He didn't want to list it until he was 100% sure...but as of yesterday, he is and the ebay listing and website will be adjusted.
(That's my job to do for him!)

Thanks for asking!
Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94