Thread: Fj62 or Rangie classic 1990

Default Fj62 or Rangie classic 1990

Hey guys been a wheeling buff for years. Outdoorsmen at best. Really respect the game. I been a rover fanatic for years owning a 04 freebie, 98 disco, and a p38. Wheeled each very hard with the disco being the best for that. The freelander being the more comfortable and very reliable until the dreadful heads killed it. No regrets. Just purchased a 1990 landcruiser with 115k. Needs little work . Seems very simple compared to the rovers. Was looking for a rangie classic but could not find one. This fell into my lap for $1000. Could always sell it and buy the classic but looking for a challenge. What would you do. Whos more reliable. Heard rovers can go anywhere but its a toyota that rescue them lol. Looking for a non biased answer which is why its posted here. Sorry if not in the right section
    I drink all kinds of beer thank you..

Pics of rigs. Working off phone sorry for any crooked pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stick with the Toyota for a while. You won't regret it!
    '98 Dodge 3500 4x4 12v NV4500 complete with a crap load of goodies.
    '94 Santa Monica Airlines 36" longboard, Indy 159s, Powell AT wheels
    '11 Rubicon Unlimited OME heavies, 285/75-17 Toyos
    '07 Adventurer 10T with surfboard racks!
    '75 Argosy (Airstream) 26'

I owned a fj60. Best car I've ever owned. The biggest thing to watch out is rust. I drilled small holes on the door. I used to spray marine grade lubricants in them. I seamed to work well. Other than that enjoy.

2007 FJ Voodoo Blue : Rockfish

Mods: K&N intake - PIAA 520's - PIAA backup lights - Baja Rack insert - Daystar 2.5 lift - Trail Gear Rock Sliders - 285/70 17 BF Goodrich MT KM2 - Bandi Mount + 3' Firestick + CB - A-Trac Hack - Scuba Mod

OEM: Option #2 - Tow Package - Roof Rack - Headrest DVD's

if you think the rover gets bad mileage. that straight six is underpowered and very thirsty.

Yeah man the gas is gonna suck. I was putting premium fuel in the rovers? It has some rust spots that.I had attended to. Doing regular things now. Not my daily. Pretty much a work/trail truck. Have an 05 Outback as my daily. At lease for now. Thanks for the responses. More pics to come

People's Republik of Cambridge & Malpais Costa Rica
    I'm more partial to an RRC than LC60s....But I have not owned either, very close at times, but never pulled the trigger. That said, I'm more partial to LCs over Land Rovers. Why not a LC80 for another $2ishK more?
    Toltec Coffee Team
    www.ToltecCoffee.com
    '99 UZJ100: Our grocery getter & glamping wagon
    '94 FZJ80: AKA "Betty" - For Costa Rican coffee exploration and distribution
    '96 FZJ80: AKA "Oscar" - 3XL, racked, and shaved
    '58 Series I: AKA "Rupert" in 1000 pieces right now....
    '70 Series IIA: AKA "Ezra" - in CBP hell right now....

i had a p38 and it was the WORST vehicle i have ever owned. Granted it was a gems and not a bosch, it was the most unreliable truck i have every had, ever. I could not drive it for more than 15 miles without it breaking down. I swore to myself i would never get another land rover unless i could find a nice diesel 110 here in the states. Anyways... i sold the p38 to a poor soul and got myself a 80 series land cruiser. While it is not as luxurious as the range rover, it is a far better truck overall. Stick with the toyota and you will not regret it. The 62 is nice becuase it has the 3fe engine rather than the carbed 2f. You will find that quantity is more important than quality when it comes to putting fuel in that thing. You will also find that it will run forever.

Having owned both a 94 RRC and an 83 FJ60, I honestly prefer the Toyota. But that's just my preference. The coil spring suspension of the LR was nice, but other than that I just felt like the Toyota was more solidly built.

YMMV.
    My 09 Tacoma build thread

"Cross the bridge to the country roads; I'll follow that star wherever it goes" Wandering Star -- Lucero

Which do you guys think offered better maneuverability on and off the road?