Ipad vs GPS unit

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I still use my iPad 1 with Motion X; haven't had a problem yet. I use Microsoft Streets and Trips to plan my routes at home and print it up in a binder for my daughter to track our progress (trying to get her used to using a compass as well as gps ... just in case).
does that work for trips offroad or is that just the streets planning? Most of our trips are offroad when they can be.

jCubed

Adventurer
As for accuracy, it's a common perception that the iPad/iPhone has 'the same' accuracy as a standalone GPS...and while for 80% of navigation, this is true, there are a few areas where almost any phone/tablet will fall short of a dedicated GPS. The most common is in brush/trees/mountains - (newer) standalone GPS units use better dedicated GPS chips (SirfIV or even SirfV that can access GLONAST)...99% of cell phones use an intergrated wifi/GPS chip that can't hold a signal in rough terrain.

I've seen this regularly comparing my Garmin Montana and current Motorola Atrix (but have also tested iPhone 4 & my BB Torch). In most areas, the signal's are just about the same - it's when inside a car (not just on the dash, but like the back seat), in thick brush, or deep canyons/mountains, the Garmin is just...better...so many less lost signal warnings, etc. One area that I find the Garmin far outclasses cell phones is when it's packed close to my body (ie when hiking) - the Garmin isn't as affected by my body blocking the signal.

...and it should be noted, if you are using this exclusively in the car or elsewhere you have 'power' any phone will work for most of what you want...but if you are planning any extended time away from power having a dedicated unit that you can change batteries with makes a huge difference. My experience has been in heavily tree'd areas, or elsewhere the phone loses signal, it really burns the battery. Last time I tested phone v gps (my Garmin against my Atrix and my exe's iPhone 4), the phones were getting run down on battery after maybe 4-5 hrs, whereas the Garmin was still at least 50%...plus I had 3 AA batteries in my pocket :)

I'll give you the battery issue! I have a Garmin Fortrex 401 and love just swapping batteries when needed. I keep this around as my backup when I'm not accessible to power source. I've also used some small solar cells that plug into the iPhone/iPad. They worked pretty well but more weight when hiking/backpacking.

And I've never noticed any difference in reception from my iPhone to the Garmin. I'm sure it's true that they are different, just never found it to be an issue...yet!

Another solution if you do not have a 3G or 4G iPad (Wifi only) is to get the Bad Elf GPS adapter for you iPad (http://bad-elf.com/). Bad Elf will work with MotionX, Gala and National Geographic Topo maps. As mentioned before you have to download the area before you go. There is a write up in April's FJ Cruiser Magazine on iPad GPS's (www.fjc-mag.com).

This is a cool piece for sure! I'd like to see it not just plug into the port, maybe a cord with space for the charger. I'd be worried it break this piece off when carrying or something. Plus I don't think you can charge while it's plugged in.

RobRed

Explorer
As for accuracy, it's a common perception that the iPad/iPhone has 'the same' accuracy as a standalone GPS...and while for 80% of navigation, this is true, there are a few areas where almost any phone/tablet will fall short of a dedicated GPS. The most common is in brush/trees/mountains - (newer) standalone GPS units use better dedicated GPS chips (SirfIV or even SirfV that can access GLONAST)...99% of cell phones use an intergrated wifi/GPS chip that can't hold a signal in rough terrain.

Actually I could argue that an iphone 4s is as accurate as a Montana or Nuvi. The iPhone has a 3 axis Gyro, Accelerometer and compass augmenting the GPS. The Broadcom 4751 chips which provide GPS, SBAS and QZSS satellite capability (sorry no Glonass) and very tight integration with inertial navigation sensors in the iPhone 4, 4s, iPad 2 or New iPad are very sensitive.

I can say that iPad 1 and iPad 2 have worked extremely well vehicle mounted in some very tough GPS signal conditions here on the west coast. Heavy forest locations in mountainous terrain with out issue.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Ok well i went ahead and bought the ipad off craigslist, its only the ipad 1 but its 3g and 64gig. Im going to download motion x and pathaway and what ever other navigation apps which work well. With those apps can you still map routes and waypoints through basecamp, or similar programs? What program do you guys recommend for mapping routes? Also thanks for all the help everyone.

I use Mapsource to manage my tracklogs then transfer them to MotionX GPS. Navgion handles all of my routing duties.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Actually I could argue that an iphone 4s is as accurate as a Montana or Nuvi. The iPhone has a 3 axis Gyro, Accelerometer and compass augmenting the GPS. The Broadcom 4751 chips which provide GPS, SBAS and QZSS satellite capability (sorry no Glonass) and very tight integration with inertial navigation sensors in the iPhone 4, 4s, iPad 2 or New iPad are very sensitive.

I can say that iPad 1 and iPad 2 have worked extremely well vehicle mounted in some very tough GPS signal conditions here on the west coast. Heavy forest locations in mountainous terrain with out issue.

Certainly the addition of other onboard sensors helps supplement the main GPS unit. I can't speak to anyone else's experience but my own, and that's been the Montana is less likely to lose a signal in extreme terrain/tough conditions. Obviously, for most people this isn't an issue :)

I've found the Garmin v Delorme v smartphones/tablets discussion is a lot like the Ford/Chevy discussions of old...with smartphones/tablets playing the role of Toyota :)

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I think the iPad will do well, i downloaded some different navigation apps and they seem to work really well. I need to find a mount for it though so i ordered one that looks pretty well and if that doesn't work out then ill probably just make one of ill just take the one that i ordered and then just modify it or something to make it what i want.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Has anyone tried the iPad mount that mount to the windshield? Is ordered one and out it up and it seems really secure actually, I actually had a really hard time getting it off.

6f0fc4bc.jpg

e5966e9f.jpg

Last edited:

goughy

Another solution if you do not have a 3G or 4G iPad (Wifi only) is to get the Bad Elf GPS adapter for you iPad (http://bad-elf.com/). Bad Elf will work with MotionX, Gala and National Geographic Topo maps. As mentioned before you have to download the area before you go. There is a write up in April's FJ Cruiser Magazine on iPad GPS's (www.fjc-mag.com).

This reviewer on Amazon reckons that Motion X and other apps are written specifically for the 3G/4G iPads and will not install on the Wi-Fi only versions. This means they cannot be used on a Wi-Fi iPad with an external GPS. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3I1R43UB0GKGA/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B006M49G80

RobRed

Explorer
This reviewer on Amazon reckons that Motion X and other apps are written specifically for the 3G/4G iPads and will not install on the Wi-Fi only versions. This means they cannot be used on a Wi-Fi iPad with an external GPS. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3I1R43UB0GKGA/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B006M49G80

Wow. The bad info never stops. Denied.

Here is good info: Motion X works fine on a Wifi only device and supports Apple approved GPS devices.

If you haven't read this you should, check out the last item at least.

http://forum.tlcfaq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26&p=25#p25

goughy

Here is good info: Motion X works fine on a Wifi only device and supports Apple approved GPS devices.

Thanks. I had read that article but for some reason that last paragraph had not registered in my feeble brain.

"This is officially confirmed by Motion X." is reassuring.

RobRed

Explorer
Thanks. I had read that article but for some reason that last paragraph had not registered in my feeble brain.

"This is officially confirmed by Motion X." is reassuring.

You're fine. I added that last paragraph because of this thread. I emailed my contact at motion x and he double secret confirmed that.

I find some of the "reviews" on Amazon quite hap-hazard. That's probably why i was fired up.

Darby Darrow

Observer

While that is true for MotionX, some people may be confused because MotionX-GPS Drive will not load onto a wifi only iPad. Or to be more accurate MotionX the company requires a gps enabled iPad in order to purchase the app through iTunes.

This was their response when I asked about MotionX Drive and the Bad Elf:

Thanks for your and continued support. While it would be possible for us to start offering MotionX-GPS Drive HD for Wifi only iPads, the great majority of users would not expect to need additional accessories in order to use the application. This is what we found when iPod touch users were allowed to install the iPhone version of MotionX-GPS Drive. Although users such as yourself would be happy to see this restriction lifted, we would also likely receive a large volume of complaints, so we need to take that into consideration as well.

Also, MotionX-GPS Drive HD is a network-connected solution that requires a data connection to pull maps and routing information when the route is calculated and for reroutes along your journey. You would not be able to calculate new routes (or re-route if you go off-course) without accessing a network connection. Although we do offer the ability to cache map tiles (at a given zoom level) prior to your trip via Wifi using the Simulate or the Pre-load Map option, you would not be able to calculate new routes (or re-route if you go off-course) without the use of a cellular network connection.

I will let the MotionX team know that you would appreciate it if we made MotionX-GPS Drive HD available to Wifi iPad users. Thank you for your feedback. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

RobRed

Explorer
While that is true for MotionX, some people may be confused because MotionX-GPS Drive will not load onto a wifi only iPad. Or to be more accurate MotionX the company requires a gps enabled iPad in order to purchase the app through iTunes.

This was their response when I asked about MotionX Drive and the Bad Elf:

Thanks for your and continued support. While it would be possible for us to start offering MotionX-GPS Drive HD for Wifi only iPads, the great majority of users would not expect to need additional accessories in order to use the application. This is what we found when iPod touch users were allowed to install the iPhone version of MotionX-GPS Drive. Although users such as yourself would be happy to see this restriction lifted, we would also likely receive a large volume of complaints, so we need to take that into consideration as well.

Also, MotionX-GPS Drive HD is a network-connected solution that requires a data connection to pull maps and routing information when the route is calculated and for reroutes along your journey. You would not be able to calculate new routes (or re-route if you go off-course) without accessing a network connection. Although we do offer the ability to cache map tiles (at a given zoom level) prior to your trip via Wifi using the Simulate or the Pre-load Map option, you would not be able to calculate new routes (or re-route if you go off-course) without the use of a cellular network connection.

I will let the MotionX team know that you would appreciate it if we made MotionX-GPS Drive HD available to Wifi iPad users. Thank you for your feedback. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Not having "Drive" work on a wifi only device makes sense. I edited my above post to call out Motion X GPS HD.

I updated my FAQ to reflect this difference.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94