Ipad vs GPS unit

Darby Darrow

Observer
Not having "Drive" work on a wifi only device makes sense. I edited my above post to call out Motion X GPS HD.

I updated my FAQ to reflect this difference.

But the program allows you to predownload the maps while you are connected to wifi, so it is a workable solution if not ideal.

haven

Expedition Leader
Another GPS solution for WiFi-only iPad is the XGPS150 by Dual. The GPS receiver (looks like a hockey puck) is battery powered and connects to the iPad via Bluetooth, so mounting is no problem.
http://xgps150.dualav.com/

Containerized

Adventurer
In East Africa, I've been very impressed with our Garmin Nuvi, though we've added to Garmin's East Africa mapset substantially.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
This company has been doing a great job in Australia according to my research and now they are in the USA
http://www.mud-maps.com/

I plan on getting a used Iphone or Ipad (or use my wifes) and trying out the US software and will get the Oz stuff for our upcoming trip.

I like that you can use a variety of mapping programs under the umbrella of their GPS setup which means they can be more nimble when something better comes along.

Watch for a full review soon.

bgs

I just finished a trip from Atlanta to Moab, and then the Grand Canyon and the Arizona Strip via the mountains through Mesquite. Details at the following link.....
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77551
The video link in the report above (climbing the mountain from Mesquite) was also shot on an iPad3, which has good camera and video capabilities.

We relied on the iPad, and yes I mean relied on it. There were times when we commented that we would have been hosed without it. For off-road and off-line navigation, it is important to have the iPad versions with cellular capability. The wifi only versions do not have capabilities beyond cell coverage, and I don't believe have true gps. The gps in the iPad3 (and iPad2) with cellular are very accurate, more than accurate enough for off road trails (screenshots attached).

I used GaiaGPS and GPSKit HD, and like them both. Both have different choices of maps, which I found useful.

I have attached two screenshots from the trip (GaiaGPS), to show the topomap. The second screenshot is a closeup of the two recorded tracks to show the accuracy (the green and blue recorded tracks (recorded separately) are virtually on top of each other, and both are directly on top of the road). At least two tracks were made that we're over 6 hours long. No breaks in the recorded tracks or issues were noted at any time during the recorded trips.

For street navigation you can download TomTom or similar. The large bright and high resolution screen of the iPad, choice of off-line mapping and tracking programs and maps, is the way to go in my opinion for vehicle navigation.

You can also use it as a gyro!

Caveat - navigation redundancy is advisable.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336533449.815778.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336533497.292635.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336534211.452906.jpg

goughy

For off-road and off-line navigation, it is important to have the iPad versions with cellular capability.

I'm not sure this is correct. What happens when you venture outside of cell coverage? Surely a wi-fi iPad with an external GPS will do just as well for navigation. Although cell coverage is necessary for updated maps, turn-by-turn directions or unexpected diversions, this will not work in out-of-the-way places like the deepest Arizona Strip where cellphone reception is sparse.

The wifi only versions do not have capabilities beyond cell coverage, and I don't believe have true gps.

The wifi versions are not aware of cell coverage so they behave no differently in or out of coverage. They do not have any internal GPS (true or otherwise) whereas the 3G/4G varieties include a GPS receiver and use "assisted GPS", the cell network assisting by providing approximate coordinates and a faster lock in some circumstances. A wifi only version with an external GPS will not have any assistance from the cell network but will still provide adequate positioning for backroad navigation.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure this is correct. What happens when you venture outside of cell coverage? Surely a wi-fi iPad with an external GPS will do just as well for navigation. Although cell coverage is necessary for updated maps, turn-by-turn directions or unexpected diversions, this will not work in out-of-the-way places like the deepest Arizona Strip where cellphone reception is sparse.

You're incorrect. cell versions have an integrated gps. cell signals are only used to assist the gps for faster location acquisitions but aren't necessary to obtain a location lock.

Only reason I like the external bluetooth gps over the internal unit (or even connected external unit) is that a wireless one can possibly be used by other devices.

bgs

How does GaiaGPS load up it's maps? I assume you do that from home before you leave?

Hi off-roader - correct - you download maps beforehand while you have Internet connection - ill also take a screenshot and post in a while for you to show you the interface. You can download large maps in high resolution - unlimited number if them I believe, drive space limiting of course. You can use various google maps but cannot download them for off road use. The Topos are great though, and they can be downloaded.

Cheers

haven

Expedition Leader
There's no question that the iPad is a good tool for navigation. I think the handheld GPS has the advantage if you plan to travel away from the vehicle. The iPad isn't the best companion on a hike. It's more vulnerable to dirt and moisture than the handheld GPS is.

goughy

You're incorrect. cell versions have an integrated gps. cell signals are only used to assist the gps for faster location acquisitions but aren't necessary to obtain a location lock.

Yes, that is what I was saying (or intended to). I was pointing out that the updating of maps and turn-by-turn directions would not work without cell coverage. All map information must be uploaded to the iPad beforehand.

The cell network has no effect on the ability to obtain a position or on its accuracy. The approximate coordinates provided by the cell network will assist in providing a faster lock in situations where the previous GPS-calculated position is a long way from the current location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles