Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget Xploder @ PINS edited w/ trailer pics

Talking Budget Xploder @ PINS edited w/ trailer pics

Here is a pic of my $1600 Explorer POS down at PINS last weekend. I bought it specifically for heading there, I figure it it gets stuck and eaten by waves, no big deal.

The flies were terrible, the sargasso thick, and the fishing poor. Also the dog puked in the tent, and one of my kids got a nasty rash, but the trip was fun anyway. I'll be heading back in about 2 weeks, hopefully the conditions will improve by then.

I did drive by a huge "Texas Style" diesel pickup that was stuck in the seaweed... I would hate to have $60K-$80K of shiny new parts buried like that!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Erik N; 11-21-2012 at 02:54 AM.

I've always wanted to see Padre Island. Is it really that hard on trucks? I have done a lot of beach driving at Pismo and in Mexico. Whats the deal at Padre?
    '98 Dodge 3500 4x4 12v NV4500 complete with a crap load of goodies.
    '11 Rubicon Unlimited OME heavies, 285/75-17 Toyos
    '07 Adventurer 10T with surfboard racks!
    '75 Argosy (Airstream) 26'

Padre is nothing like that (read: cake). I did a lot of riding in the Pismo dunes back in the 70's-80's. I almost lost a vehicle at the water crossing there.

Of course, the vehicle was a '73 Pinto wagon, towing a trailer with 2 ATC's, 2 motorcycles, and a Honda Odyssey. Talk about a car that could take a beating... flat out second gear all the way across the river, airborne off the first then smashing thru the second 18" mini-cliff on each edge. Water and sand and steam everywhere. Almost lost the car to an overzealous bonfire on that trip, too. Scorched the driver's side pretty good.

No, Padre is extremely tame. After the coasts of the Pac NW and Mexico (I've driven on both), it would be a letdown for ya. But, I'm stuck here for a few years, so why not make the best of it, eh?
    Last edited by Erik N; 04-24-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Here is $1600 pulling out $50,000 during Supermoon last weekend.

IMG_3939.jpgIMG_3940.jpg

Also a pic of the stingray I hooked with my baitfish rod (7 foot, 10# test) that took an hour and a half to land. That was one pissed off ray!

IMG_3947.jpg

Glam shot:

Pics of the truck stuck in the seaweed?
    Chris
    1989 GMC Jimmy - adventure truck: HAM radio, dual batts, Helton shower, winch, ARB fridge
    2005 GMC Yukon - daily driver: HAM radio

Quote Originally Posted by clandr1 View Post
    Pics of the truck stuck in the seaweed?
    I'm not sure exactly how he got stuck like that. He was running KM2's, looks like they just dug holes in the sand.

I am using the M&S tires that came on the Explorer (Michelin LTX), they do fine in the sand. I air them down to about 18psi.

Went again last weekend. I made it all the way down to the Mansfield Channel, 60 miles. The way to do it is to drive the low tide of 0 feet of less, smooth driving on the hard sand, 35 mph. The fishing there was great!

The Budget explorer is doing well, considering it has been completely sprayed with saltwater over and over again.

Here's a pic of a souvenir I found.

Nicer Souvenir!
    2006 Trailblazer 4.10s locked 14 bolt Sliders Skids Bumpers Tire Carrier Roof Rack 35's PIAA's Winch Tuned I6 300HP 2.7:1 TC

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...06+trailblazer

Was he properly aired down? I'm planning a trip for later this year and it will be my first time to drive my Ford F-150 on the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik N View Post
    Here is $1600 pulling out $50,000 during Supermoon last weekend.

IMG_3939.jpg
    Kevin

2011 Ford F-150 FX4
    2012 Kamparoo Transcontinental

Erik, sorry about the dog and kid but good karma for you for helping others. Nice ray - no doubt quite a fight. And kudos on landing the buoy.

Kevin, I've done the trip several times (in at park highway 22 down to Mansfield cut and back - total about 120 miles). All times in a Wrangler with 33's but only needed 4wd on a couple ocassions. 98% of time you can do 2wd with open diffs as long as you stay in that sweet spot between too wet surf area and too dry dunes. However be prepared to have to go into deeper sand if/when you encounter obstacles (washed up trees / fishing vessels / etc.) In those cases, get out, scout the area and keep enough momentum to get you through as it is usually a limited amount of travel you will need to do out of the sweet spot and back in. Of course, watch for rising tides. In a few areas (Big Shell and Little Shell beaches) you will drive on nothing but seashells.......these are areas where currents hit the coastline and dump significant deposits of shells - pretty neat esp if you have kids or a SO who likes collecting. As easy as I make it sound, always go prepared. I was still winched up/pull pal, snatch straps, shovel, highlift, water, food, communications, first aid kit, etc - it's more than a Sunday drive. You should also see a significant amt of wildlife for a beach area........I've seen some magnificent bucks come out of the dunes.

Note - also expect to be surprise by "the stuff" that you will see washed up on the beach. The farther you get away from the park area, the more you will see. Coconuts, plastics, lumber......much of it obviously from overseas. Prepare your kiddos and.or SO to stay away from anything questionable........I have seen medical supplies such as syringes washed up - could ruin a nice day at the beach.
    Last edited by FishAll50; 05-22-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    Travel.Camp.Ride.Fish.Kayak.Share.Repeat.

Avatar is courtesy of Jeff Kennedy Studio

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast