Found a 1996 LX450, Couple Questions

roving

Observer
Oh dear, what am I doing? I have a 2001 Range Rover that is Moab Ready and has been used there.

I drove by a lot today and saw a LX450, locking diffs, leather interior. very clean cosmetically. 267K miles though.:Wow1: Drove it, suspension is perfect, steering is a bit loose (might be too used to the European cars i like to drive: Mercedes, Audi, VW, Range Rovers though). The valve cover is leaking like crazy, and i think the rear main is leaking.

My range rover is probably not going to have much more done to it. I love it the way it is, so i'm going to leave it alone and keep it.

I know i can fix the problems this vehicle has very easily. But as I was driving home, I pondered the thought of sticking a toyota diesel in this bad boy, building some bumpers, and lifting it 3" with some 33" tall tires.

What diesel would bolt up to the stock autobox? I love auto's off road and on road. I can probably pick it up for $3900, they are asking $5500. I sold cars at one time and know how to talk people up and down on prices.:elkgrin:

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
Form my own looking, a diesel swap will run $7-10K +/-. The 1HD-t, 12HDT (IIRC) fit. You can buy a half cut from Japan, but due to price of the half cut, some are sticking in Duraamax and Cummins.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I drove my friends 97 the other day that has only 105,000 on it, and there was ZERO difference in driving feel to my 96 that had 230,000. If anything, mine was tighter due to the OME suspension. A diesel swap will be costly, but the diesel 80 series are starting to show up in the $10-12,000 range for a good driver here in western Canada. You would be loving that LX450 with a diesel!

roving

Observer
Are there any rebuild kits for this engine out there? or should i go v8 or diesel and be done?

What lift kit would you suggest if i do this? OME HD with caster correction?

I think i've realized the LX450 will work better for my goals then my current Range Rover. Damn, I'm tired of putting money into it every day.:mad:

I may just do a trade for the Lexus. The lift kits are pretty cheap. Then all I'll need to do is buy another winch and build some bumpers and other little do dads.

luk4mud

Explorer
Call Specter for a price on a half cut. But be ready for the sticker shock ...

Give Proffitts a call for the Cummins quote. But REALLY be ready for the sticker shock ...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
OME mediums are great unless you carry a LOT of weight, then go for the heavies. If you want a Toyota diesel, I can look around for you here in BC. We get a lot of the JDM diesels here. PM me if you are interested.

roving

Observer
I'm planning on running a winch and heavier bumper up front and probably a rear bumper to carry a tire and fuel.

I've always run the HD springs on my vehicles and like them a lot with the proper shocks of course.

86tuning

Adventurer
If you're going to lift it 3" you might as well put 35s on it. Skip the 33 all together. You can actually fit 35s on stock suspension if you're not heavily laden.

Me, I'd get it, fix the rear main and v/c leaks and just drive it. Put 35s and small lift, winch and sliders, go 'wheeling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles