Looking to purchase a 2nd generation 4Runner

Richie

Adventurer
So I just sold my S10 and I would like to get a 2nd generation(90-95) 4Runner. There are a few in the ABQ area now available that have just around 100k miles for around $5k. I do want to go a few months just driving the wife's car since she's on maternity leave, but I'm still having fun looking for a new to me 4x4. I would like the 3.0 and as long as it's 4x4 2nd gen. This will be my first 'yota and I'm very excited!

Any advice on any particular 2nd generation year would be appreciated.

RobD

The biggest problem with the 3.0 is that it's underpowered, especially combined with the automatic. And it's not all that fuel efficient. The joke is that it has all the power of a 4 cylinder and all the fuel economy of an 8.

Make sure the head gasket recall has been done on it, and the steering relay rod.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have a second gen and love it, but I also swapped out the 3.slow for a 3.4 out of a '97 Tacoma and it made all the difference in the fun and drivability factor. That said, I would probably buy a good 3rd gen if I was looking for my first 4Runner.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I have the 3.0in my 1st gen 4runner. Read up on the 3.0. It has head gasket issues that can be over come by after market headers and its weight to HP ratio isnt that great. I have over 150K on my 3.0. The gas mileage is about 15mpg. That is stop and go Los Angeles traffic. On long trips I have got 17MPG.HA
I think if you do come across the 22re 2nd gen you should snatch it up. The 22re is more modifiable than the 3.0. Just my 2 cents.

RIDEALL

My 88' 1st gen had a 3.0 with a 5spd. Had headers too eliminate the cross over pipe that runs over back of engine (love Toyota, but ******?). Good running combo with the liter 1st gen.
But to get back on track my Dad has a 2nd Gen 3.0 Auto and it is an absolute turd. Feels All choked up, and like your hurting it. Even with factory 4.88 gears.
My 2.7 Tacoma felt way More powerful.
But it is smooth and seems too run forever.
Very solid vehicle. Sometimes like the looks better than the 3rd gen.
Depends if you live in Mountains, your expectations, and just how much you like it. The rest you can get around. Would definitely push for a 5spd.
And also second the 3rd gen recommendation.
Not sure about your market, but over here in Nor Cal pricing is all over the board for both 2nd & 3rd gens, if your patient some times you can find a decent 3rd gen for same price range.
Good Luck, either way Toyota is a great choice!!!

Last edited:

Richie

Adventurer
1st generation 4Runners are a great option and I'd love to have one, but they're so hard to find. I feel the same towards the 3rd, but it seems the only ones I've seen in my price range have over 180k miles and I'm thinking that's a bit high. I guess I should test drive a 2nd gen and see how I like it.

Caoboy

Adventurer
The auto sucks, that's all I can tell you. It feels so much more 'peppier' with a manual gear box behind it. Even with lower gears!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I love the look of the 2nd-gen but it was Toyota's first, all steel-bodied 4runner with 4 doors and they still had some things to work out. The rear door openings on the 2nd gen are pretty small and rear seat room is limited. Also, the power rear window has marginal reliability and it needs to open in order to open the rear gate.

The 3rd gen did a great job addressing the shortcomings of the 2nd gen. It has larger rear doors and more rear seat room, a reliable lift-gate in the back, and a great set of engines that are more powerful and fuel efficient than the predecessors (I especially like the 2.7).

While many people are happy with the 3.0, it is not one of Toyota's better engines. The 2.4L 22R-E, while it has slightly less output, is regarded more-highly for its reliability and fuel economy.

Chucho

I'd recomend getting a 5spd also and check the gear code on the door sticker.
Your going to want the 4.56's code (G254) if you running 31's.
I have a 91 Excab 3.slow and its a dog with 4.10 (G294) on 31's.
I'm in the process of looking for some 4.88's out of an auotmatic 4Runner code (G144)

Richie

Adventurer
Well I keep an eye out for a 3rd gen. I'm also open to moderately built Cherokees and Xterras. I will say that all the 3rd gen's I've seen are over $10k even with 125k miles. I'm not looking to spend more than $7k.

Any other comments/advice would be appreciated. :coffee:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
IMO $5k is way too much to pay for a 2nd gen. If you shop around you can find an older 3rd gen in that price range. I paid $7999 for my 3rd gen with 117k on it and it has the 3.4/auto and the rear e-locker.

If you're in ABQ, make sure you check out the Front Range of CO (Fort Collins to Pueblo) as there are a LOT of 4runners here. That's not too far to drive to get a nice one.

I would only go with a 2nd gen if my budget was <$2500.

osucycler

Another second Second Generation owner with my 2 cents. I have a 1994 5 speed with the 3.0 and was one of the lucky ones with no head gasket issues, other than the recall. In fact my friend and I are going to take the engine that was in my 4 Runner and put it in her 1995 4Runner, I went to a 1999 3.4l from a Tacoma. I would second what others have said the 3.0 does badly on mpg and is barely sufficient on power. Now saying that mine was trouble free other than leaky valve covers or a rear main seal. I would also echo if you can find Gen. III you will be much happier with the power and mpg. Good luck!

CYi5

Explorer
Check the TTORA forum vehicle classifieds for 3rd gen 4runners. There are a ton on there right now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles