Recommend me some gear for fly fishing in Yukon

Athabasca

Observer
So I live in the Yukon and I have some great opportunities to get to some untouched water.
(Im a chopper pilot). I also have 2 boys that are getting to the age where they can start learning to
fish.
I would like some fly fishing gear that I can take to work and also use on the more accessible
rivers with my family. If someone knows what kind of gear is good to use up here that would be great.

I use to fly fish in Colorado 15 years ago but that was with borrowed gear. I have no idea what I was using.

Cheers

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I don't know what kind of water you will be fishing up there but I assume big rivers where you may need to throw heavier flies long distance? And the fish probably grow much bigger than down here in AZ...
I am no expert fisherman but I have had great success with redington reels and rods. I just bought a 9'7wt and it is a great rod. They are usually at a very reasonable price and both my redington reels and rods perform great...LL Bean also has some great entry level outfits (rods/reels) from 4-5 wt all the way up to 8-9 wt for around $150.00. As for kids rods just learning I would say a cortland outfit from Walmart would be perfect...around 40-50 bucks...
There is lots of bling out there and I am as guilty as anyone for buying my fair share of it but I have caught more fish on a homemade glass rod and a fluegger medalist than on all my other gear combined...
Good luck...I'm jealous of your fishing opportunities...post some pics of your fish...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier