What are the Real IFS Worries? - also...IRS Swap Anyone??

cwsqbm

Explorer
Almost all independent suspensions use unequal-length control arms (shorter on top), so that when a vehicle leans over in a corner, the tire stays more upright. However, when used in a vehicle where the loaded height of the vehicle is significantly different than than the unloaded height, you get undesired camber changes. That's why many IRS vehicles end up with some form of load-adjusting air suspension. Its just another complication.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
That is true, I'm sure they did abuse the truck more than the average Joe would. However, Why build a rig with a known weak link? Wether you want to or not, occasionally even the most careful wheeler/adventurer/whatever "beats" on there vehicle by say accidently sliding off the trail or dropping over an unseen ledge etc.

I guess most if not all chevy/gm owners don't know s___ about how bad their ifs is. Now you only need to convince them all of it and sell em conversions.

reece146

Automotive Artist
C'mon, everyone on the Internet knows that IFS almost always gets broken pulling out of your driveway.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
C'mon, everyone on the Internet knows that IFS almost always gets broken pulling out of your driveway.

funny you should say that ***this is to the extreme*** a friends friend has a 2000 BGT chevy half ton with 12 inch lift, 35" tires, and 50 freaking shocks on this thing. pulled out his driveway and a shock fell off ********. couple weeks before that he went around a corner and his ball joints let loose and lost the tire wheel and all.

Ponyracer

Adventurer
All I'm saying is look around on the web and see how many people swap an IFS into there solid axle truck......hmmmmmmmmmmm. Run what ya want and what makes ya happy, thanks I'll stick with my solid axle.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
As I suspected the red sled test was using weaker ifs case assembly! See: http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160152

I had mentioned that my case is strong "it is" and it uses the same carrier 1 ton Dodge Rams use in their front solid axle, I see you have a Dodge Ram.
Anyway, like you said to each his own and if ever I'd change to a solid axle assembly it would be a Ford high pinion only?

Ponyracer

Adventurer
IIRC that is the popular swap for the chevies, 78-79 f250 snowfighter or f350 d60 axle. Could swap in a newer axle but then you have to deal with ABS, BJ's, unit hubs etc. Unless you want to keep the abs working then the AAM axles are a decent swap except the unit hubs and stupid expensive ball joints.

"and it uses the same carrier 1 ton Dodge Rams use in their front solid axle", I'm not sure, they very well might, so you can bet the carrier won't break, how about the ally case of the differential and the CV's/shafts lol? Aint finding them on a 1 ton ram!

4x4junkie

Explorer
Chevy/GMC 3/4 & 1 ton + IFS differential housings are very strong and aftermarket does indeed provide locker carriers, gear sets etc for em, the axles & CV joints are strong too. All thing being equal or not if one beats the snot out of any drive-train it will break eventually.

Well regardless of how strong the GM ¾ & 1-ton IFS might be, it's still far more limited for flex (leaving you spinning because it won't let your tire rise up onto that ledge, rock, or whatever). Sure, a locker helps to a good extent, but it's still no substitute for having a compliant suspension that can follow the terrain better.

For probably 95% of the people on here, this discussion likely is not of much importance (the stock IFS setup works perfectly fine). But the question was asked: What are the worries with IFS?. For the remaining 5% (or however many it is here that venture on more than the typical semi-rutted dirt road leading to a campsite), it's a very valid concern.

As the miles accrue with age, maintenance on a typical IFS tends to become more costly as well (all the control arm bushings, steering joints, idler arms/rack, CV shafts, dust boots, the unitized wheel bearings on most, etc.).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior