Next Model for New Adventures

Northernlilywhite

Hi Guys,

First post been pretty heavy reader of late. I have what I think is a good question for a new thread and it would help me make a decision.

Background:

American, who lived in the UK for 8 years, before moving back to the US and bought a 2004 Discovery SE7 (thought is was permanent move back) and from my time in the UK and ownership of a Disco, I have fully caught the LR bug. Now it turns out the move, due to work, has been reversed. The joys of corporate life. So now I am considering selling my Disco, after putting a decent amount of time and money into it, or keeping it for when I come back on holidays, or as a future project should I ever move home. If you are interested PM me, but that is a side note.

Now I am moving back to the UK and this is envisioned as a somewhat permanent move and if its not I would be going to a country like Australia where I can ship a UK truck and use it there just fine. (I know all about the US restrictions on LR's). Also I have a small child and plan on having at least one more in the future so passenger capacity is somewhat of an issue.

Fabrication Skills: 2/10 (1 being "what is welding", 10 being "The Rover Shop" and his Camel)
Mechanical Skills: 7/10 (1 being can't turn a spanner, 10 being certified mechanic)
Money Available: 6/10 (1 being just fill it up and drive, 10 being a fully kitted out Brownchurch or Nene Overland vehicle)
Enthusiasm for the Project: 10/10

Question:

What model (Defender 110, Disco, or RRC) do I move onto next if I intend to use it as a light overland vehicle at first. I am not going to be going across Africa, but across Europe is very realistic. Please keep in mind that within a year I would have a second vehicle for home duties and the first truck (Defender 110, Disco, or RRC) would then be turned into a more hardcore London to Cape Town type rig. Any thoughts? Also I need to keep at least enough seats to fit the wife and I and the baby in any vehicle so if I chose the Defender it would need to keep the back seats for at least a year or so, which might limit the work I could do at first. Still unsure if the the endgame project vehicle is going to be a 4 man truck or 2 man truck, and by 4 man I mean myself, wife, and rugrats. Anybody have any experience in overland adventures with little ones, not babies but not +10 either. We are a pretty adventurous bunch so any idea is welcome and I have no need of maintaining loyalty to a specific build style, camel, rooftop tent, sleeping in tents beside the rig, etc. If possible, chime in with thoughts on a build and why you would go for one model over another.

Also, do I sell the 2004 Disco in the US for funds? I am so torn because its the best year in my mind as it has the CDL but all the new features, and mine has no air suspension, but lets not debate best Disco year, just should I sell it or should I hold onto it, with money not being the most pressing concern, but it would be a nice bonus.

Thanks for you help in advance guys. This decision needs to be made informed to hopefully minimize headaches in the future. I am now, in light of the true british nature of this question, going to have my wife make me a brew of Yorkshire Tea, and wait for responses. :coffee:

Last edited:
Get a 110 in a year that's able to come back to the US. Then bring it over with you when move back. If you decided to sell it then you'd come out on top instead of losing money. Not to mention having a great vehicle for just about everything you could want to do. JMHO

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Northern Lilly White!

Welcome, first of all!
Personally, I would indeed sell the 2004 DII- why?
1) Land Rovers HATE to sit idol. Seems some little gremlin comes in and undoes things while they sit, and when you go to start using them again, ... all the things that were working ... suddenly are not!
2) DII's are bringing decent money right now, if they are in great shape and medium mileage (medium at their age being 75K- 125K miles)
3) and the final reason- At some point your 2004 WILL slip a cylinder liner! It is inevitable. I just learned this week while searching for an 4.6 for my Sisters 04 Disco, that the company that was making the updated (lip in the cylinder wall that would not let the cylinder slip) 4.6 for Land Rover tanked in January. You cannot get the 4.6 anymore in the States sans used - and why you would do that ... I don't know because at some point ... it too will drop its cylinder sleeve!

So, get the truck you want in the UK, sell the truck you leave behind in the US ... and great luck to you as you ping pong back and forth!
D

overlander

Expedition Leader
Get a 110 in a year that's able to come back to the US. Then bring it over with you when move back. If you decided to sell it then you'd come out on top instead of losing money. Not to mention having a great vehicle for just about everything you could want to do. JMHO

x2. You kind of answered your own question in the latter half of your post. I have a 110 CSW and my wife has a 03 DII. The 110 has so much more room than the disco. We have a 5 and 8 year old, so your needs and mine are very similar. If you are in the UK, you can take the time that we don't have here to find the perfect candidate that is legal to import to US, and completely outfit it to your needs at the lowest price possible.

I want your job.

Northernlilywhite

These are all good ideas and thanks for your input. Not sure now what to do as I had my mind set on a 300tdi if I went the defender route but it would be quite some time before a 1994+ would fit within the 25 year importation rule, not that I have plans to return to the USA soon but its always nice to have options.

So let's say I buy the family LR first, not sure of I should go late 90's RR or Disco 2? Either way I would only go diesel. Any thoughts on reliability, luxury for the wife, etc . Is the RR electronics any better than than Discos?

Decided to sell the USA 2004 Disco based on advice on this thread. Any interests let me know. 120k soccer mom miles. Can go through rest of the details if I get interest.

Also have an awesome great basin rovers HD expedition front prop shaft I don't want to give up. Would it fit anything LR except my disco 2? Would be great to be an upgrade for the future defender or on the possible family range rover.

czenkov

Adventurer
Also have an awesome great basin rovers HD expedition front prop shaft I don't want to give up. Would it fit anything LR except my disco 2? Would be great to be an upgrade for the future defender or on the possible family range rover.

I think the DS is DII specific. Buy the 130? That would give you more than enough room with the ability to leave the back seats. With Nene right there you could have a 300TDi swapped into the earlier trucks. Good luck.

Northernlilywhite

Ooh, I am liking your thinking on the 130. Would need to find one with a cab on the back to keep belongings safe or price up getting a cab made for a pickup. Any idea how the 130 fares on rough overlanding due to its long wheel base?

overlander

Expedition Leader
it would be easy to find a 110 or 130 in an import legal year to bring in that already had a 300 tdi upgrade. also, the DII front double cardon shaft is a common upgrade for defenders with a lift to correct for camber. only requires a change in the bit on the front output shaft of the tcase I believe.

Northernlilywhite

Any consensus on what would be a better rig for the wife to drive kids around, and for reliability, Disco or RR then?

Also, I am seriously liking the idea now of a 130, bit pricey over here compared to a 110 but the possibilities seem endless with that much room. Anybody with previous experience with 130's?

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Maybe check out insurance costs between a Disco and a RR, also ?

As for the 130, what if you found a nice, (sufficiently) older Double Cab and put in a 300 Tdi (maybe check with globallandrovers.com or someone), then put an Azalai camper conversion on the back ?

They are doing them right there in the UK.

That would be an awesome overlander that you could bring back...

Northernlilywhite

pic2_large.jpg Now this is a family overland vehicle, Nene sure know what they are doing.

Any consensus on what would be a better rig for the wife to drive kids around, and for reliability, Disco or RR then?

That's a good thought knarf, never had heard of Azalai and looking through their site now, I think the wife would be a big fan of that bit more creature comfort.

Also, I am seriously liking the idea now of a 130, bit pricey over here compared to a 110 but the possibilities seem endless with that much room. Anybody with previous experience with 130's?

Last edited:

tacr2man

Adventurer
Dealing with 130 first , Theyre a bit long for UK use ( a 110 is bad enough in Supermarket car parks) . Having said that you could get a early 130 and fit a 300tdi easy enough . Have a look at this site for what you can do with builds on land rover http://www.foleysv.com/ These guys are probably the largest modifiers of landrover ITW . Re 110 with kids overland then this site is a good read http://www.overlandwithkids.com/ I know them well and they are just an ordinary family that got bit by the Landy travel bug , Anne has a real knack of engaging writing , so its an easy read .
Back to 130 the 300tdi works well in the 130 DCPU and makes a very good bush travel truck , i put over 250000kms on one in OZ including towing a US style caravan (travel trailer) oxcvnlr IMG.jpg the extra payload allows for carrying a few extras that the family appreciate . HTSH

Re disco or RR no real diff in build quality , I would suggest Disco as you can get a later model than same money in RR D11 will give you TD5 diesel which is an improvement on 300tdi esp with auto , smoother quieter , if you can get as far as TDV6 then better again .

Last edited:

Northernlilywhite

Thanks Tacr2man, those are some awesome websites and the foley's guys have a huge amount of experience it seems and the overland in a 110 with kids makes it seem possible to do, so I am still keeping my eye out for the perfect 110 in addition to looking at 130's.

As far as RR vs Disco goes, I am leaning towards another Disco for the family rig, as I know the model and already love it and like the idea of seven seats, like my current disco has. I know I could find this out quite easily, but I have forgotten and was wondering if anyone had the quick answer, which discos came with CDL? I know 2004, not 2003, but others I can't remember. Any help?

Thanks again guys for helping me clear up the decision tree on the LR purchases.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
That's a good thought knarf, never had heard of Azalai and looking through their site now, I think the wife would be a big fan of that bit more creature comfort.

One of the editor's of one of the big LR mags in the UK has one on a 130DC for him and his family. I wrote him about it, a long while back, and he said although they have a 110 version (a single cab is too small for your needs), the 130 was the way to go. If you do some rooting around, posts and such from Simon will likely turn up. I have collected some photos, too. Shoot me a PM, if you would like to see them...

One other thing he mentioned was that by getting an older one and refurbishing/modding it as needed, if you need a Carnet de Passage, that is based on the initial purchase price of the car. He bought well and his Carnet cost is much, much lower than if he had started with a new/newer Rover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94