Arizona Traverse - The Secret Variation

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Ok I had to go back and reread things to realize you did this back in March....I was thinking you were nuts to head out in the current heat :)

As always a great start to one of your fine trip reports....looking forward to the rest of the story.

A

agavelvr

Ok I had to go back and reread things to realize you did this back in March....I was thinking you were nuts to head out in the current heat :)

As always a great start to one of your fine trip reports....looking forward to the rest of the story.

thanks man. Yes, I did this back in March. I've been holding off on posting till now for reasons to be revealed soon :)

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Glad to see this is being posted Jeff!

That's a good sign I hope. I've been looking forward to this report!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
OOOHHH trail drama....nice break from the trauma drama here at work :)

Great pics and your writing gives the sense of being there with you.

Looking forward to reading more

Uglyduck

Adventurer
Glad you made it out ok! Calling SAR was a good choice, most of'em like to get out anyway.

I've been waiting for the roads to open to do this section of the Az travers. They just opened last week :)

addicted56

Adventurer
I must be missing some information here. Why didn't you just dig your bike out, turn around and ride out? No mention of the bike being damaged. Cool story though and way to think it out and be prepared. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

A

agavelvr

Sorry to leave you guys hanging...I'll post the conclusion in a few minutes.

I must be missing some information here. Why didn't you just dig your bike out, turn around and ride out? No mention of the bike being damaged. Cool story though and way to think it out and be prepared. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Good question. I managed to extract the bike before SAR showed up. After scouting ahead, it was clear that forward progress was not possible. My problem really came down to snow conditions, tire tread, and rider skill. There were a few spots that would have given me big problems riding downhill. If I had a riding partner that day, we could have safely walked the bike down the most challenging spots. Given that, I'm not too proud to admit that I feared injuring myself trying to go down the trail I had come up. Reading my past trip reports, people probably gather that I enjoy pushing my limits. However, once fear enters into the equation, the logical side of my brain says it's time to reevaluate. At the end of the day, I had to admit defeat and opt for the safest option available. Would have been cool to have conquered and shared a story of victory...will have to settle for a "lessons learned".

Okay, I'm calling BS on myself...what I really feared was a dramatic extraction that commanded the attention of the nightly news. Bones can heal, but once it made the fireside chat forum, I'de be roasted :)

Uglyduck

Adventurer
Great report Jeff. Next time you're doing a trip up here look me up, I can provide intel and backup if needed.

Have a GPX. file for that route?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier