JK Roof Rack

codename607

Adventurer
I'm on the search for a roof rack that I can use to mount a rooftop tent onto. So far I really like the Garvin racks but after doing some research I found out that they often crack the body of the jeep(at the rear mounting points). With this finding I no longer want to go with the Garvin rack and I'm trying to find something that is simple.

- I will be using the rack to mount a Tepui Rooftop Tent onto it.
- I would like one that does not require any drilling(if thats possible)
- Also looking for one that works with the AEV snorkel

Any help on the type of rack that would work best for all this? Also I have a 4 door soft top.

Thanks

Adventurer
I'm on the search for a roof rack that I can use to mount a rooftop tent onto. So far I really like the Garvin racks but after doing some research I found out that they often crack the body of the jeep(at the rear mounting points). With this finding I no longer want to go with the Garvin rack and I'm trying to find something that is simple.

Any help on the type of rack that would work best for all this? Also I have a 4 door soft top.

Thanks

HI conden,
I'm looking too and am leaning towards the Garvin rack. I have one on my YJ and it has been excellent. I have not found one I like better. My YJ has an ARB safari snorkel that shares a mounting point with the rack on the windshield hinge bolts. The Garvin rack is rated to 500 lbs. I would hesitate to put that much weight on it.

Sparky

Last edited:

m(a)ce

Adventurer
I'm running the Gobi Recon and love it.

Its a no-drill install, works with the AEV snorkel and can support a RTT. You can get the quick disconnects that let you tilt your rack back to lower your softtop too!
Pricey but worth it for build quality.

Note regarding AEV snorkel: the Air Ram will fit with no modifications. to get Gobi & AEV Prefilter to work I needed to extend the snorkel (used a piece of exhaust tubing).

IMG_7671.jpg

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I had a Gobi on my JK and can't say enough good about it. I wanted a Gobi for my LR3, but they don't make one. The Gobi rack is amazing!!!

Adventurer
I had a Gobi on my JK and can't say enough good about it. I wanted a Gobi for my LR3, but they don't make one. The Gobi rack is amazing!!!

HI husky,
What is so amazing about it? How long have you had it? How many dirt trail trips? Inquiring minds want to know. I can't find a price.

Sparky

jdzl

It's about $1500 give or take. I got mine from http://www.eadoffroad.com because it's $1495 and includes the ladder which is usually an extra $150-200 and free shipping. Expect 4-6 weeks because they build them to order, and they can make customizations if you want (custom light tabs welded on, etc), they can also powder coat it a different color if you want, but that adds another 2-4 weeks.

It's a pretty damn sturdy rack (we love ours) - but I'm curious to see what AEV's looks like when they release it (3-4 weeks) as it will attach to the rollbar (will have to drill through hard top) but will be lower profile, super strong and probably lighter.

figures

Gobi racks now on sale with free stuff

Armed Mobile Survivor www.armedmobilesurvivor.com just started carrying Gobi racks and we have them on sale for $1,300 with free shipping to the lower 48 states and a free ladder! I'm new here but have been off-roading for more than 25 years. We will be carrying expedition gear for Jeeps among other things. Sorry just had to chime in here since I'm proud to be representing Gobi now. I haven't even had a chance to add them to our website but if you call me and mention this post I'll order one for you at this great price and all the freebies.

codename607

Adventurer
Armed Mobile Survivor www.armedmobilesurvivor.com just started carrying Gobi racks and we have them on sale for $1,300 with free shipping to the lower 48 states and a free ladder! I'm new here but have been off-roading for more than 25 years. We will be carrying expedition gear for Jeeps among other things. Sorry just had to chime in here since I'm proud to be representing Gobi now. I haven't even had a chance to add them to our website but if you call me and mention this post I'll order one for you at this great price and all the freebies.

How long will these Gobi racks be on sale?

figures

Not sure how long i can run this sale. Since I'm a newbie here I thought I would try to offer some great deals to the board as a way to introduce myself. If you're interested call our toll free number and ask for me (Jon) and mention my first post of Expedition Portal for this deal. I'll be loading the new Gobi line to our website in the next week or so. If you can recommend any products I should stock for Jeep I'd be really interested to know which ones! Jon

figures

Not sure how long this sale will last but I'll try to run it until later this fall. Just give me a call on our toll free number and ask for Jon if you want to check if we are still running this special for board members. Due to high demand it may take up take 3-5 weeks for you to receive your rack according to Gobi. I'll be adding Gobi to our website soon but for now I'm taking orders by phone at www.armedmobilesurvivor.com Jon

Petro

Adventurer
I'm running the Gobi Recon and love it.

Its a no-drill install, works with the AEV snorkel and can support a RTT. You can get the quick disconnects that let you tilt your rack back to lower your softtop too!
Pricey but worth it for build quality.

Note regarding AEV snorkel: the Air Ram will fit with no modifications. to get Gobi & AEV Prefilter to work I needed to extend the snorkel (used a piece of exhaust tubing).

View attachment 97749

Hey Mace, I have a Gobi too, what are the attachments you got your kayak tied to? I need a set of those!!

huskyfargo

Adventurer
The Gobi racks are sturdy, well-fitting, thoroughly thought out, comparably quiet, and just all-around great racks. Yes, they tend to be a little more pricey than some others, but you won't regret it.

epiccosmo

Adventurer
I will throw out there that the AEV Roof Rack is suppose to be out in about 6 weeks. No one really knows much about this rack but if it is anything like the photos that have been floating around then we know it will mount internally for support so it should support a good amount of weight and all the rumors have it being very slim and aerodynamic (as aerodynamic as something on a Jeep could be, aerodynamic in my own word because it seems they are keeping it close to the hard top, not sure if it will work with a softtop)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94