M416 B1 s/n 555 - Here I go!

95RRC

Adventurer
Hello everyone, after months of looking at all the wonderful builds on here, and as long or longer waiting to find the right M416 it has all come together. Below is my build thread, I will update it as I go, but my first post is the culmination of both the new (to me) purchase, as well as a few weeks of hard work!!!

So first up I found it, as some may remember on the www.G503.com forum, for sale in Fayetteville, NC - it was the right price, even though it was 4hrs away from me. So off I went. When I first saw it in person I realizd just how much work was ahead of me!!!! :Wow1::Wow1::Wow1::Wow1:

Oh well - I dove in...:snorkel: put it on the back of a mates utility trailer and brought it home.

Attachments

• trailside-1.jpg
    trailside-1.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 37
  • trailfrt-3.jpg
    trailfrt-3.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Purch -tub.jpg
    Purch -tub.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

95RRC

Adventurer
first thing

SO - the first thing I did when I got it home was to get as much of the paint off as possible. After looking at many options I went and rented a high pressure (4000psi) pressue washer, and sprayed it down out front...actually was awaesome, and it took off a lot of the layers of paint as they were nearly all flaking off anyway. THe cost and location of a sand blasting was silly pricing up here in Northern VA - upwards of $800 to do it. SO I figured I would see what I could do alone....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    502.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    483.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,252
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    501.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    496.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 24

95RRC

Adventurer
Next up was taking her apart and seeing what I could do - and what I couldn't. It quickly became apparent that the best solution for a majority of the work would be to sandblast it. So after taking the tub off, and putting that aside, and removing all parts from the tub - including the cool jerry can holders, I then set to work on what I could do - the frame itself. Without any appreciably big issues with rust, I felt I could tackle it all myself. SO I took the tub and the front draw bar/tongue with the lunette to Frederick County Customs in Winchester - Wayne was awesome!! He sandblasted it for me and then put on a REALLY hard enamel primer.

So, while I waited for Wayne to do his work - I worked on everything else...

The frame required a complete sanding down to bare metal. So after removing all I could, axle, springs, all nuts and bolts...I started the job of wire wheel brushing and then sanding. Part way through I blew my Dewalt grinder up - so went to good ol HD and bought a Makita 4.5" for only $29 figuring it would blow too - but she is still good!!!

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    478.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    456.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    472.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    503.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    455 KB · Views: 16
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    412.2 KB · Views: 21

95RRC

Adventurer
little stuff

So - while I waiting on Wayne to do his sandblasting - I worked on everything else.

Toughest was the Springs! I wanted to see if they were salvageable - lo and behold I ground down all the flaky rust they had in between, then I put a rust inhibitor on them, repainted them with Rustoleum, put them back together and viola! Look brand new. Key to this is to put them back together with a thin film of grease between each spring which apparently helps them retain springiness and come back to shape under load!

The spring clamps had to be replaced of course - so I bought them from https://www.armyjeepparts.net/c-17-m416parts.aspx George (owner) is quite knowledgeable of course and was a great help with these - and many other parts I needed. Good thing is these were designed to be interchangeable with the Jeep - so best to ask George what he has, as most often the website doesn't show it.

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    509.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 16

95RRC

Adventurer
then the other stuff

I worked on all the other parts as well. THanks go to DOn Beasley and his thread for help along the way with ideas etc, etc...and parts!! I needed to repack the hubs of course, and replace the bearings...easily obtainable from Amazon - shipped quickly :). So I was lucky that I managed to get the hub seals out without messing them up! Best idea to do this is turn the hub upside down, once you take off the front bearing and then use a 2inch plastic pipe - hammer the back bearing lightly until it forces the bearing seal out - viola! You get a re-usable unobtainium (at least really tuff to find) hub seal.

So, hubs all back together and looking good.

I also worked on all the bolts, and hangers required.

Unfortunately, the square "U" bolts that hold the drawbar/tongue on ARE UNOBTANIUM!!!! DONT THROW THEM OUT!!!!! Just hope they can be cleaned up and reused. Fortunately the axle U bolts and nuts are available from https://www.armyjeepparts.net/c-17-m416parts.aspx - and are well worth the $$$$ - just sand down and repaint the hanger plates, and reuse them. If they are beyond repair George can get these too...the only other part that I had trouble with was the greaseable bolts for the springs, I decided to use the existing ones, so I wire brushed them done too - repainted and done - they are fine, and work well. I did by replacements and will keep them on hand for the future...

Attachments

• 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 18

95RRC

Adventurer
Got the tub and tongue, mud guards, and jerry can holders back...looks great!!

I decide on all the frame, parts, and attachments being a gloss black, and have not figured out he tub yet - but wanted a contrasting look. SO I bought 6 cans of Rustoleum gloss black automotive enamel, and set to rattle can painting all of it. Came out better than expected actually!!

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    372 KB · Views: 27
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    385.7 KB · Views: 21

95RRC

Adventurer
painted all the frame bits...

And ordered the LED lights from Sierra - and as I am doing the trailer to be pulled behind my Range ROver Classic LWB I ordered a hub adaptor for each wheel so I can run the same size wheels on all...

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    439.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 32.JPG
    32.JPG
    453.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 34.JPG
    34.JPG
    390.4 KB · Views: 21

95RRC

Adventurer
Additionally, I painted the bottom of the tub with a bed liner product from the local Autozone store...came out pretty well!

95RRC

Adventurer
And for now - I painted the tub "CUB CADET ALMOND" - a hard epoxy I found at the Tractor Supply COmpany, which is local to me....it is actually a VERY close color to the old Land Rover wheels on my Land ROver Series IIa so it will look cool behind that as well!

Attachments

• 36.JPG
    36.JPG
    380.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 37.JPG
    37.JPG
    482 KB · Views: 21
  • 38.JPG
    38.JPG
    448.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 39.JPG
    39.JPG
    481.6 KB · Views: 30

95RRC

Adventurer
I am doing a SOA conversion to it. Thanks to Don Beasley, I turned the hanger plates around and now it is fine. I also found original replacement (NOS) shocks on eBay for $45 - so nabbed them and now it is all original and stock - could be taken back to original army issue with just replacing the springs under the axle and turning the hanger plates around for the shocks. I also kept the hand brake in working issue after redoing the brake backer plate and replacing all the nuts and bolts on there too!...

I basically didn't scrimp on the nuts and bolts. I replaced EVERY ONE of them with Grade 8 annodized hardware - a bulk buy from my local Tractor Supply Company...love that place!!!

95RRC

Adventurer
here is where she stand today!

Attachments

• 41.JPG
    41.JPG
    463.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 43.JPG
    43.JPG
    426.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 44.JPG
    44.JPG