Tacoma curiousity

Caoboy

Adventurer
My dad bought a prerunner. His theory is that he'd never need 4wd because he doesn't go in the mountains anywhere that he'd need it.

He's never needed it, I could have used it though! :D

Stronger frame/availablilty of a double cab/increased payload.

GTABurnout

Explorer
I do like driving fast in the dirt though...long travel "prerunner" style suspension works very well out here...2 or 4WD...is it needed? No...

Is it fun? Yes....

View attachment 98027

LOL, irony is the truck in your picture is a 4WD rig.

I don't always need 4wd but its nice to have and if you buy used you will get that price back out when you sell it.

Clutch

<---Pass
LOL, irony is the truck in your picture is a 4WD rig.

I don't always need 4wd but its nice to have and if you buy used you will get that price back out when you sell it.

You should re-read my post, I did say 2 or 4WD, as in "prerunners come in both flavors..." no irony....:ylsmoke:

Caoboy

Adventurer
I thought prerunner was 2wd only...pretty sure.

The 'Model' of prerunner is only 2WD, from Toyota.

But more and more people are building a long travel truck, using 'pre runner' suspensions, yet they are still retaining 4wd. Better articulation, able to hit the jumps if they please, etc. There is a benefit, I'm thinking about using a long travel setup on my 4Runner, enough travel that it would make most of my trails easy peasy, without having to swap a solid axle setup.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I thought prerunner was 2wd only...pretty sure.

In the Toyota Tacoma model name yes....but in the "style" of prerunner vehicles no...

You can add a 4WD system to the Tacoma Prerunner, it simply bolts right it...is it still a Tacoma Prerunner...yes, just now with 4WD...:ylsmoke:

Laxaholic

Adventurer
In the Toyota Tacoma model name yes....but in the "style" of prerunner vehicles no...

You can add a 4WD system to the Tacoma Prerunner, it simply bolts right it...is it still a Tacoma Prerunner...yes, just now with 4WD...:ylsmoke:

The "style"?
.....I give up.

Clutch

<---Pass
The "style"?
.....I give up.

Style is the type of mods...like how people modify their vehicles in the "Expedition" style...the word Expedition is also a Ford Model....as Prerunner is a Toyota Tacoma model.

Here is a Chevy in the prerunner "style"....making any sense yet?

9smaller.JPG

Here is a Ford...which shows very well how a "Prerunner" suspension works...Toyota simply stole the name "Prerunner" for one of their Tacoma models.

Hopefully that clears things up, over the differences.

Last edited:

toyota_jon

Adventurer
here in CO 4WDs are the norm. If you even see the little prerunner badge it's usually on a truck w/ out of state plates. Here I wouldn't suggest buying ANY 2WD truck, for no other reason than resale. Number of years ago I got a steal of a deal on a 94 chevy 2WD. I bought it simply to fix what needed fixing and then sell it. Well 4mo later I finally sold it way under book, and the little bit of money I made didn't offset all the time I spent trying to unload the stupid thing. 2WD trucks just don't sell here.

2 wheel drive is fine in the southern states and doesn't get offroad. I honestly wish they would make the dang things illegal in the snowbelt come winter. Also you are not getting far offroad around here in 2 wheel drive. The crack about getting stuck in 2 wheel drive is driver error is crap. I have needed 4 wheel just because I went down a wet grassy hill and go to head back up and nope your going nowhere quick in 2 wheel. Now could I get back up that hill in 2 wheel sometimes yes sometimes no, but when it was yes your tearing up the grass which will tick the farmer/landowner off. 4 wheel drive is like carrying a firearm would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Clutch

<---Pass
2 wheel drive is fine in the southern states and doesn't get offroad. I honestly wish they would make the dang things illegal in the snowbelt come winter. Also you are not getting far offroad around here in 2 wheel drive. The crack about getting stuck in 2 wheel drive is driver error is crap. I have needed 4 wheel just because I went down a wet grassy hill and go to head back up and nope your going nowhere quick in 2 wheel. Now could I get back up that hill in 2 wheel sometimes yes sometimes no, but when it was yes your tearing up the grass which will tick the farmer/landowner off. 4 wheel drive is like carrying a firearm would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

When I was in the construction business in Pennsylvania, we owned a couple 2WD dump trucks, water trucks, service vans, box vans, cars, and pickups...which were in the dirt, mud, and snow often...it really is driver error getting a 2WD stuck. Usually when the driver does something stupid is when it gets stuck. Oh, like going down a grassy hill when it is wet...driver should know better.

Hell, I have buried tracked bulldozers, skid steers, forklifts, tractors, ATV's, 4WD trucks...yep...all because I was doing something stupid.

The difference between getting stuck in a 2WD or a 4WD, is usually when you get stuck in 4WD, you tend to be farther away from help...:ylsmoke:

Last edited:
Sure you should know better but when that grassy hill example happend (so probably not best example) I was in a 4 wheel drive truck 99 ranger with the electronic shift on the fly that didn't work when I went to go back up the hill:(

Clutch

<---Pass
Sure you should know better but when that grassy hill example happend (so probably not best example) I was in a 4 wheel drive truck 99 ranger with the electronic shift on the fly that didn't work when I went to go back up the hill:(

Why getting stuck is always driver error, we know better than going into places where we might get stuck. Banning 2WD is kinda silly, now banning stupid drivers isn't, however if we did that all the roads would be a barren wasteland, as we all have done some pretty stupid things...myself included! I have lived to tell the tales!:ylsmoke:

"Like, this one time" when I was back grading around a swimming pool in the rain on snot slick greasy clay, slid the the Bobcat into the footer hole, sliding the machine onto the pool panel, darn near flipping it into the pool on its' roof....getting it out was a chore, took 4 hours to get it out....and then went back to work back grading...or the time when I buried the 10 ton dump, snapping the driveshaft in two....or when I rolled the tractor down the hill...or the time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94