Tacoma curiousity

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I have always loved the Tacoma's.
I currently drive an old Land Cruiser. The Toyota brand, in my opinion, is a great one.
I've been in the Hilux in southern Africa and seen why they are so desired.

But, my question is this...Why so many Prerunner Tacomas here in the States? It seems to me that there is a fairly large market for a 4x4 Tacoma.
What am I missing here?
Alot of people drive the Prerunner, how good are they when it's time to be a truck? It's a truck...so why not get the 4x4?

I've always pondered about this.

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I have always loved the Tacoma's.
I currently drive an old Land Cruiser. The Toyota brand, in my opinion, is a great one.
I've been in the Hilux in southern Africa and seen why they are so desired.

But, my question is this...Why so many Prerunner Tacomas here in the States? It seems to me that there is a fairly large market for a 4x4 Tacoma.
What am I missing here?
Alot of people drive the Prerunner, how good are they when it's time to be a truck? It's a truck...so why not get the 4x4?

I've always pondered about this.

Cheers,
Jack

Sometimes all a person needs is high clearance, 2WD...and a locker or "spooled" rearend. My Tacoma is 4WD...and it is rarely in 4WD, even in the dirt, you
can get to a lot of places without 4WD...heck, I rarely even use the rear locker.

I live the desert...so there are many "Prerunner" style trucks here...built more for speed than crawling along...the term "Prerunner" is derived from desert racing, to use a vehicle that isn't the race vehicle to "Prerun" the race course before the actual race...and these vehicles can be built from mild to wild.

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Not everyone needs a four wheel drive, as you can see by the immense popularity of the Pre-Runner package. One can even buy a two wheel drive Jeep if they desire.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
honesty here in the desert sw with the type of driving I do I rarely need 4x4...nice to have but I would probably just drive a bit more cautious without...and the lockers on my tacoma and LC...never get used...

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I just never understand why there are so many toyota 2 wheel drives on all of the lots.
Are they decent even when its slick?

My roommate used to have an f350 v10 that was 2 wheel drive and he got stuck just about everywhere.

Clutch

<---Pass
I just never understand why there are so many toyota 2 wheel drives on all of the lots.
Are they decent even when its slick?

My roommate used to have an f350 v10 that was 2 wheel drive and he got stuck just about everywhere.

Yeah, mine is fine when it is slick just need a little weight in the bed. Actually more fun to drive in 2WD mode, than 4WD when it is slick,
can toss the vehicle around more, to "step out" or "drift" the rear end...there was a time when some rally cars were 2WD.

Getting stuck in a 2WD is more driver error than the vehicle...

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Here in California, a 4wd costs more to insure. In southern California, we get very little fowl weather, so there is little need for the average truck owner to need 4wd. Pre-Runners cost less and get better fuel mileage. There are so many Pre-Runners on the road here, that finding a Tacoma that isn't is pretty rare. The last time I wandered around our local dealership, they had one 4wd and a zillion PreRunners on the lot.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
the cost thing does make sense, for both buying it and insurance.
my location probably does too....but I live in Georgia, and among most of the average males....it's a sin to not have 4x4.

How much better are the 2wd on fuel than the 4x4?

Clutch

<---Pass
the cost thing does make sense, for both buying it and insurance.
my location probably does too....but I live in Georgia, and among most of the average males....it's a sin to not have 4x4.

How much better are the 2wd on fuel than the 4x4?

Well yeah...in some states having a 4X4 is an ego thing more than anything...I'll bet most don't even see dirt/mud.

There is a bit of weight savings..but only yields maybe 2-3 better mpg.

Dirtytires

Explorer
They fuel milage is going to depend on how you drive, and traffic conditions. I think they are about the same, unless you
have a turbo on the prerunner. Being in GA you need a 4wd to play in the mud and have some fun.

keezer37

Explorer
Well yeah...in some states having a 4X4 is an ego thing more than anything...

I'm inclined to agree with this. Living fourteen years in San Diego and then moving to Ohio, Ive actually noticed the opposite of what others mention here. Plenty of 4X4s in SD and substantially less here in OH.
I think age plays a major factor also. Whereas I might see more prerunners in SD, I think you are likely to see twenty-somethings driving them. Here, I see a fair share of two wheel drive Tacomas but they are the bone stock type with old grey dudes driving them. Further, I think with an older demographic here, you have more folks accustom to two wheel drive.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm inclined to agree with this. Living fourteen years in San Diego and then moving to Ohio, Ive actually noticed the opposite of what others mention here. Plenty of 4X4s in SD and substantially less here in OH.
I think age plays a major factor also. Whereas I might see more prerunners in SD, I think you are likely to see twenty-somethings driving them. Here, I see a fair share of two wheel drive Tacomas but they are the bone stock type with old grey dudes driving them. Further, I think with an older demographic here, you have more folks accustom to two wheel drive.

I am from PA, now in AZ....in PA we lived off a county road 1/2 mile into the woods up a hill...absolutely needed 4WD there in the winter to get up the driveway, but a front wheel drive car works too!..heck, even a 2WD RWD with chains works as well...chains are a pain in the ******** though, pulling a lever is much easier though. You could say people who own 4WD's are wussies....2WD is a real man's rig....:ylsmoke:

I still own a 4WD here in AZ, but rarely use it...I often think of just going to 2WD for next Tacoma...however, there are couple times a year I find myself reaching for that transfer case lever. I do like driving fast in the dirt though...long travel "prerunner" style suspension works very well out here...2 or 4WD...is it needed? No...

Is it fun? Yes....

86000_sdhq01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles