Axle question and your opinion.

DanR7985

Observer
To start with I have a matched set 8 lug Dana 44/Dana 60 with 4.56 that I want to put under my M1009. The 60 is fine, but my question is about the 44. The Dana 44 is a closed knuckle. I bought it back before I knew much about axles(not saying I know a lot now, just more) I don't want a closed knuckle. I want an open knuckle. My question is this. If you were me would you buy another Dana 44 and put the 4.56 gears from the old Dana 44 in it? Or would you keep the 10 bolt in the front and re-gear it to match the 4.56. I inspected the ring and pinion on the Dana 44, and it looks 98% brand new.

One involves buying an axle and having extra gears that I could keep or sell and selling the closed knuckle axle, the other involves just buying gears as I already have all the parts to convert the 10 bolt from 6 to 8 lug(bought it for the Dana 44 before I knew about the knuckles, and knuckles out interchange). I'm at a loss on this one. I am leaning towards getting another axle because I want to put an Aussie Locker in, and they do not make one for the 10 bolt.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Detroit makes a locker for the 10 bolt, I think. Way smoother and unlocks easier than the Aussie.

No idea about the knuckles, sorry.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Strength-wise, the 10 bolt is as good as (or better than) a dana44 anyway, so you already have the axle you need, and it just needs new gears and outer hubs to match the 60 you want to put in the rear. It sounds like you already have the hub stuff to convert to 8-lug, so that means you only need a gear set! You can probably sell you closed knuckle D44 for a few hundred bucks if it's in good condition.

Having wheeled in the UP of Michigan a lot in my college years, I would NOT recommend putting a true "locker" in a 10 bolt front axle. You will grenade hubs and U-joints, and it'll REALLY want to go straight if the going gets slick. Most of my buddies were running Auburn LSD's in the front, with good results on 33's and under, and decent results with 35's. If you know it's going to want to spin a light tire, you just ride the brake a little and it hooks right up! The trucks flex so well that lockers front and rear really weren't needed anyway, and the limited slip kept most from breaking too much.

Oh, and stay away from warn premium hubs. Find the old OEM spicer hubs with the yellow or blue dial that were used in the '70's. Never saw one of those break, while warn premiums often became premium bits and pieces.

YMMV
C

DanR7985

Observer
Thanks for the replies everyone! I am not wanting a true locker in it at all. I was wanting something like the Aussie since it is more street friendly. This is not going to be hardcore wheeler or anything like that. I was thinking 33x12.50 tires, 35x12.50 MAX. A lunchbox locker will work fine for my purposes.

I will probably just regear the 10 bolt. The main reason I asked was because there is a Dana 44 with 4.10 near here for 100 bucks.

I was also just planning on using the hubs that are on the 10 bolt now. I did not know that about the Warn hubs being bad. I always figured that they were good. Thanks for the heads up!

I forgot to mention that the 60 is a full float so I am pretty pumped about that one.

Last edited:

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Could you sell the 44 and the 10 bolt and have enough for a Dana 60? Since you are 8 lug already it is not like you need to do anything to run one in the front. Just an idea. If you are going to stay with either of the ones you already have then consider this: if you ever plan on running crossover steering the Dana 44 can have the passenger side knuckle machined for that (certain axles already have a flat top knuckle). Not sure if the 10 bolt has that capability. Just some more stuff to think about. Sorry I may have made your decision more complicated.

Ponyracer

Adventurer
If it were me and you had the gears already, I'd pick up the d44 and run it. Gears and an install kit will cost close to $400 depending on brand and source. D44 vs 10 bolt is a toss up on strength so look at the brakes and the seals and condition of the axles. Then go with the cheaper one while you save for a 60. If you have ideas about a 60 in the future, don't waste your $ on a locker for the 44. If you plan on staying on 37's or less and not driving like an *** in the rocks then a 44 will be fine. I ran 37's on a d30 with a lock right for yrs in the front of my XJ with no trouble. I loved that lock right. Yours would be invisible on the street due to the hubs. (Any locker would be)

I was not nice to my 30 and lockright either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOCW8qFUOiY

Where it's a front axle and it's not going to be under alot of stress and heat on road, I'd swap the 4.56's, bearings and shims and all straight over to the open knuckle dana 44 and run it. Check the pattern but chances are it will be well within spec as long as it was set up properly to begin with.

DanR7985

Observer
Could you sell the 44 and the 10 bolt and have enough for a Dana 60? Since you are 8 lug already it is not like you need to do anything to run one in the front. Just an idea. If you are going to stay with either of the ones you already have then consider this: if you ever plan on running crossover steering the Dana 44 can have the passenger side knuckle machined for that (certain axles already have a flat top knuckle). Not sure if the 10 bolt has that capability. Just some more stuff to think about. Sorry I may have made your decision more complicated.

The only problem with selling both is that the 10 bolt is it is in the front of the K5 now, and it is my hunting/snow vehicle.

Dana 44 knuckles will fit on a 10 bolt so cross over or high steer on a 10 bolt won't be an issue.

I also have a Ford Dana 44HP that I am trying to sell. I bought it for my old ZR2 and never used it before I got rid of it. If I can scrounge up enough money I might look for a 60 instead.

DanR7985

Observer
If it were me and you had the gears already, I'd pick up the d44 and run it. Gears and an install kit will cost close to $400 depending on brand and source. D44 vs 10 bolt is a toss up on strength so look at the brakes and the seals and condition of the axles. Then go with the cheaper one while you save for a 60. If you have ideas about a 60 in the future, don't waste your $ on a locker for the 44. If you plan on staying on 37's or less and not driving like an *** in the rocks then a 44 will be fine. I ran 37's on a d30 with a lock right for yrs in the front of my XJ with no trouble. I loved that lock right. Yours would be invisible on the street due to the hubs. (Any locker would be)

I was not nice to my 30 and lockright either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOCW8qFUOiY

Where it's a front axle and it's not going to be under alot of stress and heat on road, I'd swap the 4.56's, bearings and shims and all straight over to the open knuckle dana 44 and run it. Check the pattern but chances are it will be well within spec as long as it was set up properly to begin with.

I thought about getting a 60 for the front, but since I am not going over 35's I probably wouldn't need it like you said. I also don't plan on doing rock crawling, it has never been my thing. I really want to go on trail rides and things like that.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
pick up a military surplus D60 front from a M1028 or equal as it already has 4.56s and a Tru Trac. Now you can sell both the 44 and 10 bolt- even sell one now, and the other after fitting the 60, and have D60s F&R- no more issues. I am positive you will save decent money and be able to just bolt in the new 60.

DanR7985

Observer
pick up a military surplus D60 front from a M1028 or equal as it already has 4.56s and a Tru Trac. Now you can sell both the 44 and 10 bolt- even sell one now, and the other after fitting the 60, and have D60s F&R- no more issues. I am positive you will save decent money and be able to just bolt in the new 60.

I have been thinking heavily on doing that, I am selling a lot of stuff that I have no use for, one being a rifle, and a lot of paintball stuff. With all the stuff I am trying to sell I may try to pick up a 60. I appreciate everyone's input!

DanR7985

Observer
Well folks. I did a little soul searching, and I decided to just regear the 10 bolt and stick with it for now. I would love to run a Dana 60 up there, but they are too expensive. I have to buy new tires as soon as I do the conversion since the 6 lugs have 15" wheels, and the 8 lugs have 16". With having to get the tires, and the lift, and paying for part of my wedding in a few months it would be too much money to drop right now. The one thing I need above all else so the future Mrs. will go with me in A/C. A/C doesn't matter to me, but to her it is vital. I thank everyone for all the help on the issue though!

Saiyan66

Adventurer
^ This is true, but finding good tires in Load D & E doesn't work so well for 15" wheels. Plus he would have to buy 8 lug 15" wheels. So either way he would have to buy tires OR wheels. Kind of a wash really.

DanR7985

Observer
I already have 5 16" 8 lug wheels. I knew about the caliper grinding, but I can not for the life of me find 15" 8 lugs. If I could find some I would be on those like white on rice.

DanR7985

Observer
So I have been browsing the net for a few years, and every now and again I would find some 15" 8x6.5 wheels, but no new manufacture. Then I run my big mouth and in 10 minutes I find some new manufacture. Go figure...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles