Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

Scott Brady

Founder
A little more information on Camilo the artist and car designer: Camilo Pardo

This painting was beautiful, and in progress
camilo_.jpg

For a moment, the thought of driving around the world in a Ford GT seemed intriguing. Note the matching color theme to E7 ;)
camilo_pardo_ (1).jpg

It is always an inspiration to watch a talented person go about their work. I really enjoyed his artwork.

The studio is also in an early 1900s building and the second floor was essentially untouched from its original form, though totally in decay. It was a ballroom, and you can just imagine the parties that were thrown there in the 1920s - fantastic.

Scott Brady

Founder
Hi Scott,

Are there any special logistics involved in shipping vehicles from Canada to Iceland? Curious minds (both mine) want to know...

(For years my mind has been mulling over this: Ride the Trans-Labrador highway, ship the bike from St. John's, meet it sometime later in Iceland and ride around for a while, ferry the bike to Europe and stash it in the UK for a subsequent trip starting from there sometime later. Other than shipping costs, the only downside seems to be the allure of buying a bike in Europe that isn't available here!)

Thanks in advance!

We are working with a logistics company that specializes in shipping vehicles. They have facilities throughout the US and Europe and a helping us with all of the details and bureaucracies. We have shipped vehicles on our own a few times, and it is amazing how much the process and requirements change from country to country.

Shipping to Iceland is quite simple, and there are several lines that service Iceland and Scandinavia from the east coast of the US and Canada. The notable variations with Iceland is the requirement for a Carnet and intense cleaning of the chassis, etc (at a cost of about 600 euro). I like the idea of shipping to Iceland, as you can then take a ferry to Denmark.

Shipping to Iceland is more expensive than shipping to Europe.

Carrier. Eimskip http://eimskip.is/en/Pages/default.aspx

Ferry. Smyrilline http://www.smyrilline.com/Frontpage-1.aspx

We are planning to post all of the details on the shipping, cost, time, etc. at the end of the NA segment.

Scott Brady

Founder
We took a tour of the QMC and AEV facilities while in Detroit. Impressive operation.

Look at those hoods!
AEV_.jpg

It makes me hopeful that manufacturing might survive in some way in the US. 95% of the AEV part numbers are made in this country - pretty cool.

Matt will be doing a full feature on the AEV facilities in a future home page article.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Awesome Scott!

What's even more impressive that they aren't a large scale production facility (when compared to the OEM's), and it shows in the quality of the products they produce.

zeke2.0

Adventurer
We left Detroit this morning after a fantastic day in Motor City. This included a great meal at Pizza Biga with Camilo Pardo and a few other industry folks. It is good to see the general optimism with the Ford and Jeep teams - GM, not so much.

Are you able to elaborate on this?

MattScott

Approved Vendor
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337950748.912631.jpg

We stopped at AEV.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337950779.426219.jpg

They have an awesome facility.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337950844.648941.jpg

It's amazing how easy it looks when something is being done right.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337950904.209759.jpg

Bruce likes this Jeep, anyone know why?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337950942.326438.jpg

We were able to have dinner with some fantastic people in Detroit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337950987.525633.jpg

There's some cool old buildings to explore in Detroit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337951028.730764.jpg

Camilo Pardo's studio is amazing, and literally blew my mind.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337950942.326438.jpg

The Ford GT was his design.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337951111.482631.jpg

A lovely waitress at Applebee's in Pennsylvania gave us nicknames.

Bruce is the brains.
Kurt is the handsome comic.
Scott is the bounty hunter.
Jeremiah is the mad scientist.
Greg is the villain.
I was named lover boy.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337951289.375744.jpg

The roads in Pennsylvania are beautiful and a welcome change from being transplanted into the desert.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
What route through PA did you guys take? I'd swear that was Route 6 through the northern tier.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Camillo's studio = fabulosity. I wanna hang with him a little longer next time.

Camillo is a true artist and one of the inspirations found in Detroit's new renaissance. I think we are entering into a new age of desirable American designed, and built products. AEV is a prime example of that. Glad you guys had an opportunity to sample the big D.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Some nice work, but he seems kinda young to have designed a car that was raced in the early 60's?

The Ford GT40 was the car from the 60. The Ford GT is a modern car inspired by the original GT40. Pardo was the Chief designer of the modern Ford GT.

haven

Expedition Leader
"Bruce likes this Jeep, anyone know why?"

Because it's a more comfortable platform for the camera crew than the old Land Cruiser 79 pickup they're using now?

toddz69

Explorer
We took a tour of the QMC and AEV facilities while in Detroit. Impressive operation.

It makes me hopeful that manufacturing might survive in some way in the US. 95% of the AEV part numbers are made in this country - pretty cool.

Very impressive. As a manufacturing engineer, I can say that AEV and similar companies are bright lights that give us hope in what appears to be a dim future for manufacturing in the U.S.

Looks like you guys saw some really neat stuff.

Todd Z.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
"Bruce likes this Jeep, anyone know why?"

Because it's a more comfortable platform for the camera crew than the old Land Cruiser 79 pickup they're using now?

Think spectacles ;)

The 79 "Sherpa" is a comfortable ride and in fact has a good spread of legroom. AC would be a most welcome addition but the 2-70 AC is doing the job. Long live the Sherpa!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles