Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

dugedug

The Ford GT40 was the car from the 60. The Ford GT is a modern car inspired by the original GT40. Pardo was the Chief designer of the modern Ford GT.

Your sarcasm meter is broke.

And if you want to get technical, the GT was the name of the original prototype 60s cars. It wasn't until the MkI that they were called GT40s. They had to called it the GT instead of GT40(actually 43") because of trademark problems. The new GT is a bit more than a car inspired by the original. Being nearly identical on the exterior with only having a slight stretch and modernization, hence the sarcasm for calling it 'his' design... but I digress.

Landroverholic

Observer
Cleaning the vehicles for Iceland will be good practice for getting them clean for Australia!

Both very unique environments so I am all for strict quarantine laws to protect them even if it is a bit of a PITA at the time!!!

Reckon you guys will go through a lot of toothbrushes getting three truck clean though ;-)

Looks like your 'shake down' trip through the States has been going well. Looking forward to hearing more as you all get further from your home turf.

Are you planning to take any 'toys' to play with as your trip progresses. Mountain bikes, kayaks, climbing gear etc?

Callum

Last edited:

FlyJester

Adventurer
So far so good guys, I would have blasted across the US as well(been there, done that). Say goodbye to North America and hello to the rest of the world for awhile. Should we be calling you guys by your nicknames now?? :)

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Your sarcasm meter is broke.

And if you want to get technical, the GT was the name of the original prototype 60s cars. It wasn't until the MkI that they were called GT40s. They had to called it the GT instead of GT40(actually 43") because of trademark problems. The new GT is a bit more than a car inspired by the original. Being nearly identical on the exterior with only having a slight stretch and modernization, hence the sarcasm for calling it 'his' design... but I digress.

Got it, that's cool. I honestly don't know a lot about them, just what I have read. But I did see one of the new ones up close and personal when they first came out. What a beautiful car when you are up close to it.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Question, I know you are running the BFG MT tires but what size is the tire and what width is the wheel?

Thanks and keep up the posts!

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Think spectacles ;)

The 79 "Sherpa" is a comfortable ride and in fact has a good spread of legroom. AC would be a most welcome addition but the 2-70 AC is doing the job. Long live the Sherpa!

Legroom maybe, but the suspension on those 79 trucks is a back-breaker by all accounts. . . Think heavy-rated leaf springs! Same with the 78's too.

Scott Brady

Founder
Does anyone know if Scott took one of Autohome's new Prototype Tripolina Butterfly Chairs?

Mike from Autohome did provide a sample chair for ExPo to evaluate. Look for a detailed review in the coming weeks. On initial impression, it is a nice, well thought out unit

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Congrats guys... What a neat trip! Kurt from your post from Facebook, I remember when I was 16 my dad lent me his massive pickup which I took through Manhattan and had a lot of the same feelings. That is my old stomping ground! Also there is an awesome road from Quebec to Newfoundland that is all fast smooth dirt the entire way and takes you through some of the remotest parts of eastern Canada (almost all of Canada is remote in a way). One to add to the list - takes a couple days to get across and past some of the rural rural hydroelectricity dams all over Canada and the only sizable activity out there.

I looks forward to following this for the next couple years! So neat...

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Okay, I've been incommunicado for a few days... where the heck is Brains, Comic, Bounty Hunter, Mad Scientist, Villain and Lover Boy?

Not my nick-names - courtesy of a waitress from a previous post; I kind of liked Darth myself. ;)

Scott Brady

Founder
Newfoundland has been spectacular so far. I am constantly amazed by the quality of camping opportunities in Canada's parks.

Newfoundland_ (3).jpg
How I sleep in the vehicle. Personally, I am a huge fan of a semi-permanent sleeping arrangement with little to no set-up. I just leave the pad, bag and pillow in the back and can crawl in the back. The high roof really helps. In dusty conditions, I have a cover that goes over the bedding. I hook the soft luggage to the lashing rails on the other side using carabiners.

Newfoundland_ (2).jpg
Camp in Terra Nova National Park. Beautiful and our site had a pile of wood that was delivered. In the morning, the sweet lady from the visitors center drove all the way to our camp to see if we needed more wood. Canada rocks.

Newfoundland_ (1).jpg
There is a unique trail that crosses all of Newfoundland on a narrow gauge rail bed. We explored quite a bit of it and some of the coastal dunes.

Newfoundland_.jpg
The trucks performed better in the sand than expected, although we still needed to use the ground anchor once for a recovery.

We are having a super fun time in Newfoundland - I highly recommend a visit. I am hanging out in Saint John's for the next few days if anyone would like to meet up. We are prepping the trucks for shipment to Europe.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Good post! That's the detail that makes it more "real." Let us know when SPAM is on the menu...

Thanks Darth, er, Bounty Hunter, er, Scott.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles