Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

Scott Brady

Founder
Here is a picture of the sleeping configuration. We have custom bug screens for the windows. The key for me is the pad thickness and comfort. I have wide shoulders and am a side sleeper, so 3" minimum thickness for me, or I wake up with a backache.

sleeping.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Thanks for the reply, Kurt. I'm a big fan of the Springbar, though I've spent most of my time in RTT's (oh, poor me :) ). Could you expand a bit on what stood out for you as far as performance in the African environment, as far as the tent goes?

In addition to being a rugged tent with straightforward and relatively easy setup... the Springbar offered space. We had 11 people in 3 rigs, and the Sherpa doesn't have any sleeping setup in the cargo area. So that left 7 people needing someplace to crash, the Springbar could cover that spread in a pinch though most nights we had a few in hammocks or on roof racks and the remaining 3 or 4 in the tent.

grimbo

Explorer
It is my new favorite way to camp. I even set-up my LR4 to work that way now too. I have over 100 nights in the back of the VDJ78s and I sleep like a baby.

Hopefully not crying and pooping yourself or you know different babies than what mine were like :D

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Here is a picture of the sleeping configuration. We have custom bug screens for the windows. The key for me is the pad thickness and comfort. I have wide shoulders and am a side sleeper, so 3" minimum thickness for me, or I wake up with a backache.

View attachment 181334

Good to see I am not the only one that uses the Fridge as part of my sleep setup :)
Never had any issue with the fridge coming on and waking me either.
Sleeping inside the rig is the best for me & the family as my younger son likes to string up a hammock so the wife & I get the rig. Once my Hannibal with walls is installed he will have a cot options for weather protection.

I sleep next to my fridge in my double cab '04 taco by folding down seat (rear bench seat removed) and adding pillow and sleeping bag (Corbeau Baja seat folds dead flat and very comfortable).

taco camping.jpg

zimm

Expedition Leader

View attachment 181334

so... back to a ford f250 with a cap? after all these configurations, and products, are you suggesting its that 70's show all over again? :)

i sympathize. my favorite rig is my f350 4"lift, 35's limited slip, and an alaskan camper. i look like my grandfather, but it just plain works.

Scott Brady

Founder
so... back to a ford f250 with a cap? after all these configurations, and products, are you suggesting its that 70's show all over again? :)

It really just works, at least for me. Secure, weathertight, simple.

I even have the LR4 set up that way - cozy!
744_448993845149433_1644414535_n.jpg

concretejungle

Adventurer
I have a friend who swears by his hammock... i swear that just looks impossible to sleep in!! Don't you feel wrapped up like a burrito and confined? And, what about your back!!?

I have a friend who swears by his hammock... i swear that just looks impossible to sleep in!! Don't you feel wrapped up like a burrito and confined? And, what about your back!!?

Yeah, and where do you keep your ipad, and your pee bottle, and your dog for that matter? And don't you feel like an animal is going to walk up and sniff you? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles