Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

Scott Brady

Founder
Payload is a factor considering that you are unsupported. How much fuel will it take to cross the continent? Also, how fast will you be able to go in that terrain with the AT's?

The ATs fly compared to anything else short of a snowmobile. If conditions are good, we can average 20-30mph on the plateau. The tires also greatly improve ride comfort and reduce damage to the truck. A 44" tire at 3-4 psi has incredible compliance. The Arctic Trucks have almost completely displaced other forms of transport, unless huge payloads are involved. Sleds are used frequently around the operating bases.

We will use up to 700 gallons of diesel for the SP trip, and the 6x6 will manage most of that load. Both trucks have about 70 gallons in their frame mounted tanks. There is one fuel drop for the way there, and one on the way back at Lat. 83 to reduce weight. Fuel costs about 6,000 euros per barrel ;)

Scott Brady

Founder
How will you go with transporting sufficient drinking water (obviously you will melt snow to drink) but you would also require enough readily accresible weather whilst driving, recovering vehicles, sleep etc. is it as simple as keeping it in a thermos or do you need to keep them 'heated' to stop it freezing.

Also food stuffs, will it be a similar situation with power bars etc to maintain your energy during the day

Great question! The water solution has been perfected by the Arctic Trucks boys. They have a melter on the engine that you pack with snow and remove liquid water from several times a day. You also melt water with the white gas stoves. We keep hot liquids and "cool" liquids in an insulated flask.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
The Hagglunds is no slouch either with a top speed of 35 mph. These are in common use down in Antarctica. It can probably average the same speed as the AT, but burn more fuel doing it. Could cover tougher terrain and carry more weight/people. The main advantage to the AT would seem to be that it is less expensive to build and operate for light and fast multi-purpose use. Kind of a trade-off vehicle that makes sense. Arctic Trucks set the world speed record to the South Pole in 2010 in 108 hours, averaging 21.4 km/h (13.3 mph) with an average fuel consumption of 2.2 km/l (5.7 mpg). http://www.arctictrucks.is/?pageid=5023 I've seen reports that they were going to try to break that with a bio-fuel powered AT Tacoma in 2011 but haven't been able to find out if they did or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
An update from Emil at Arctic Trucks, as they work to prep the 6x6 and additional preparations for other expeditions. Gisli, who will be our team mechanic, is also already on the continent.

http://www.antarcticachallenge.com/Pages/4916/NewsID/306

getfile.aspx

Scott Brady

Founder
is that at -30?

It could be as cold as minus 30. We do have a temp chart that affects minimum pressures, particularly when starting after the truck has sat and the tires have cooled. Once the carcass runs for a bit, it is warm enough to operate at those pressures.

zimm

Expedition Leader
since youre starting out on a frozen balloon, left at 3 psi hot.. or warmish, are they internally bead locked, or is it just a non issue? what does arctic trucks say is the low operating temperature?

r3run33

Adventurer
"Pooping in Antarctica will no doubt be the most uncomfortable experience on the continent."

that is the best lol thanks for being receptive to all these question Scott!

r3run33

Adventurer
""The logistics are incredible. Two years of planning. . ""

forgot to add this I have been planning my trip around USA for close to 2 years now and getting some "flack and ribbing" from other travel friends that "what is taking so long etc" "just go!!!" To do things right and be self-sufficient takes time!

Scott Brady

Founder
I keep practicing setting up my tent while wearing a t-shirt. I do the set-up with my heavy gloves, but I figure the faster I get with the set-up now when it is warm in Africa, the better life will be at -40 in Antarctica!
1452459_10152383450838275_697890362_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles