Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
While I think is it super cool that you guys are doing this trip I am gonna have to say that the staged pic of the rig in the water is what is all wrong about having the "media" along for 4wd travel.
e7_na_expo_1.jpg

A legit water crossing is one thing, that is part of the trail.
Backing a rig into water just to get a poser shot is the kind of stuff that folks who want to shut down access can use against us.

Scott you have been at the forefront of making overlanding mainstream, please don't let things get away from you.

Landroverholic

Observer
Congratulations. You guys are on the road and the wheels are turning.That must feel good after what, I'm sure, has been a monumental planning session. Sure the planning is fun - but being on the road is a whole lot better:)

I've planned to do exactly 1/7th of what you guys are doing - and I know just how much work has gone into preparing for for a trip across the worlds largest landmass. And then do multiply that by 7 !!!! My mind boggles at the thought.......... plan a route overseas, organise shipping, get the permits and insurance, organise the funds ,build the vehicle, pack the spares ,get the vaccinations ,put the waypoints in the GPS ,organise cover for your day job ,learn a new language ,organise the web site ,kiss your loved ones goodbye , feed the cat and hit the road. For 2 years......and then find the time while settling into long term life on the road to post your photos and tell everybody where you are - phew!!!

Scott and your crew - hats off for pulling this one off. I think its awesome what you are setting out to achieve.

Good luck and I hope it goes smoothly. And when it goes slightly belly up I hope you can laugh about it the next day :wings:

And if we do cross paths while I'm stuck in a bog in Siberia I'll trade you some frozen fish for a good coffee.

Beer will be in the fridge at Abenteuer and Allrad if time permits

Best wishes

Callum and Michele

Bad Karma

Adventurer
While I think is it super cool that you guys are doing this trip I am gonna have to say that the staged pic of the rig in the water is what is all wrong about having the "media" along for 4wd travel.
A legit water crossing is one thing, that is part of the trail.
Backing a rig into water just to get a poser shot is the kind of stuff that folks who want to shut down access can use against us.

Its the Arctic Ocean... having the wheels in the Ocean symbolize the start of the trip. Its like people who do cross country trips, wheels in Pacific to wheels in Atlantic.

Sean VHA #60013

Adventurer
This undertaking is awsome, can't wait to read regular blog entries & thread postings! Also, don't sweat the arctic ocean shot - it is symbolic of the start of the journey and that works for me:coffeedrink:

Sirocco

Explorer
When do you think you will be in Siberia Scott? We leave the UK January next year. Should be coming out of Mongolia around the end of July and into Siberia through August and September.

We then ship to Aus to! maybe see you guys out on the road.

G

1leglance

That picture wasn't taken at the Arctic coast. You can barely see the mountains from Deadhorse, and only on a clear day.

Charlie

The BP folks let them go through the "gate" to the Arctic Ocean. They only let 3 people go through to the "Ocean", so I don't know where that photo was exactly taken. I am sure Scott will chime in and lets us know where specifically that picture was taken.

As referenced the pic was staged and so the rig was backed into water on purpose it looks like. Just saying it is something that could be used against our community.
There will be plenty of real water crossings for these guys and an amazing amount of adventure I am sure, all of which is legit and has a need. Just don't want to see them caught up in the silly Dangerous Drives "we could die" drama that was in Utah. TV crews can have that effect....not to mention what can happen in post production :)

Have a great trip and looking forward to hearing more at the Overland Expo. Will the rigs be on display there?

Scott Brady

Founder
As referenced the pic was staged and so the rig was backed into water on purpose it looks like. Just saying it is something that could be used against our community.

Have a great trip and looking forward to hearing more at the Overland Expo. Will the rigs be on display there?

Lance,

People drive on frozen lakes every day in Alaska and Canada (and just about anywhere else lakes freeze). It is not only completely legal, but actually fun. :)

What makes you think it was staged? Again, people drive on frozen lakes everywhere and I didn't say that picture was of the ocean. It is just a shot from the trip. Anyone with even limited familiarity of the North Slope would know this

What makes you think a fun picture of a truck parked on a frozen lake would be bad for the community? People do it all the time, even racing on frozen lakes. In Canada, people even commute on frozen lakes and rivers- you should take a trip there sometime, it is pretty fun to see. This is in Colorado ! http://pangaea-expeditions.com/ice-racing/

Both trucks and a support vehicle will be at OVEX

(smokey)

Just passed you guys going the other way in Teole UT area. Sounds like a great trip.

Last edited:

1leglance

I remember well your first Arctic Trip Scot with Chris & Pasquale and on that trip you drove on a frozen river & over the ocean as it was a ROAD.
This pic clearly looks like you backed into thin ice and broke through to get a cool look....again it is the difference between a real, self financed, life changing adventure that we have in our trip report section and a TV crew tag along sponsor funded story generator.
I think we need trips like yours to create the mag articles, tv shows and interest level that will bring more people into the US overland community.....it just should be done in a way that doesn't create images that can be used against us.

I am not trying to pee in your Post Toasties...just saying maybe we need a way to separate the trip reports from the folks to are joe normal & the pro's

Oh and as far as going up North myself....hahahaha not in those conditions :) This one legged adventurer doesn't do cold! That is why I just got back from a week in Baja instead.

Good to hear you & the rigs will be at the Overland Expo but wow what a fast blast back that must have been....shame to not have a chance to enjoy everything in between. I hope on the rest of your journey you will be able to slow down and enjoy the travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles