Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I am kinda lost....
So there was Scott, Kurt and ???? , looks like Greg and family...
Is this the same crew that did North America or are you changing up folks along the way?

Either way it would be great to hear any thoughts or feedback from whoever has traveled thus far. I know, I know much is saved for Overland Journal and such, but that makes it hard to keep an interest in this thread when we may never know the rest of the story.

The Central America trip had a write up in OJ, but we never really heard here in Expo from James/Stacy, Charlie and Dad or any of the other folks who went along. I was really looking forward to pics and behind the scenes thoughts on camp life, vehicle lessons learned, packing lessons learned and group dynamics (things like group vs individual cooking, laundry and such).
I am terribly guilty of always moving on to the "next trip" which is why I don't write up much of what I do. But I am an individual and since you guys are "Expeditions 7" we get to bug you for the rest of the story :)

Honestly I can imagine you are all tired, busy, lots of pics to sort, hours of video (thanks for the clips though) and such, but please don't leave us hanging.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I am kinda lost....
So there was Scott, Kurt and ???? , looks like Greg and family...
Is this the same crew that did North America or are you changing up folks along the way?

Yes, the trip has the core (Greg & Scott) and then the peripheral folks such as Greg's family, Scott's team, etc. Each segment has had a different crew, again with Greg & Scott at the core. The Russian leg consisted of Greg, Scott, Clay Croft, Andery (our Russian fixer) and myself. Previous to Clay and I flying in (to Irtusk), Greg's father-in-law and cousin (Kyle from Proffitts Cruisers) were along, we were with them for one day before they flew out.

Either way it would be great to hear any thoughts or feedback from whoever has traveled thus far. I know, I know much is saved for Overland Journal and such, but that makes it hard to keep an interest in this thread when we may never know the rest of the story.

I'm like 99% done with 'my side of the story' from the Russian leg & Matt Scott did some write-ups on the North American leg we were on as well. If I wasn't so busy prepping for Baja I'd be finishing my trip report :D

Honestly I can imagine you are all tired, busy, lots of pics to sort, hours of video (thanks for the clips though) and such, but please don't leave us hanging.

There will be plenty to digest as everything sorts out, patience :D

AFSOC

Explorer
I know, I know much is saved for Overland Journal and such, but that makes it hard to keep an interest in this thread when we may never know the rest of the story.

We may have to wait longer than we want to get enough details from E7 to quench our curiosity. The video footage from this trip is being shopped as a multi installment television package. I'm just speculating but if a satisfactory distribution deal can't be struck with TV, it only makes sense that a DVD would then release. The two avenues have very different editing and distribution mechanisms. What they share is that both take time to do well. We'll probably have to sit tight with a carefully metered trickle of teasers until the project is in a neat package.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jrUV3aQT8Q

The attached video link is a very informative videography mentoring session with Bruce Dorn from the B&H library. The cherry on top is that there is quite a bit of discussion about E7 and video clips from the trip too, it's worthwhile to watch even if you have little interest in filmmaking.

Scott Brady

Founder
The Expeditions 7 story schedule starts with the next issue of Overland Journal. E7 will be a feature article in each issue and we are very pleased with the imagery we have captured. The layouts look beautiful.

Look for the North American leg in the Gear issue, which chronicles our trip from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Cape Spear, Newfoundland. From the gear issue, we will be featuring E7 in each subsequent issue until the end of the trip.

While it may seem that the updates are slow, it is because we are traveling. The team is now home for our first notable break, so the content and updates will start pouring out to print and the web.

r3run33

Adventurer
thanks for posting Scott; are you gonna be at the expo next year in arizona?? wold love to pick your brain about the trip choice in vehicles choice of mods etc what worked and what was not used etc

1leglance

Kurt thanks for the breakdown as it has been hard to follow/keep up with the time spread.
And double thanks for writing up your thoughts as it is good to hear from the non-professionals and "outsiders" if you will.

Thanks for that video link...I started watching it and then wanted to pop back over here before I forgot...I will finish the video next but what I have seen so far looks great and very interesting guy.

Scott, I am looking forward to reading the stories in OJ, but any chance some of the content or tidbits or extra could appear here for those who don't get OJ? Some of the backstory like:
Anything you are changing to the rigs as the people change or areas traveled change.
What the fixer does for you and are they needed for the average traveler or just because you are a mutli-vehicle media trip.
Cost...fuel, food, transport of vehicles...again I know it is triple what the normal person would pay as you have 3 rigs and a ton of people but it would give an idea.
Places to spend more time...things that they average person might want to linger and enjoy if they aren't on the schedule you guys had to keep.

I am pretty sure I will never be able to do a round the world vehicle based trip...but that might be due to my lack of knowing how it is done and cost, the more info we get from people who are out there the easier it might for the rest of us to shove our rigs in a shipping container.

Landroverholic

Observer
Just to give you an idea

3 1/2 months 23000km 2 people in a Landrover 110 camper Scotland England France Germany Poland Lithuania Latvia Russia to Mongolia and circuit down through the Gobi Desert. North to Lake Baikal and then all the way back cost me approx 12000 Australian Dollars . Camping rough five nights out of seven. Travelling through UK and Europe in both directions was expensive - fuel. Hotels for shower and internet also upped the spending considerably. Plus a few 'unexpected' costs along the way - notably $2500 for vehicle recovery.

Hope this info is useful. This was June/July/August/Sept this year

Callum

1leglance

Now that is some solid info...and really not as bad as it would seem.
Thanks

Scott Brady

Founder
Driving in Russia was nuts. Certainly not the most difficult and absolutely not the most insane, but it was the extreme distance that made every day a game of Russian Roulette. . .

russia_rob.jpg

However, despite the real dangers, it was an incredible challenge and highly rewarding to us as drivers. We crossed the largest country on earth, nearly 12,000 kilometers from west to east. I am super proud of our team and the great driving from Clay, Greg, Kyle, Kurt and others. Sitting here at my desk, it really was a miracle that we didn't have any accidents. We did have dozens of close calls. . .

Looking back, all of those kilometers and sketchy moments were all worth it. Russia is such a beautiful, wild place.

russia%205.jpg

Russians are awesome. Completely feral. . .

russia%203.jpg

I wrote a short oped on driving in Russia. It captures my unfiltered thoughts on the subject - DRIVING IN RUSSIA

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words - in this case, a video sums it all up in 10 minutes. Nutty. . .

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
That's quite the video example...some nice crashes there...poor sidecar guy in about the middle.

Moto travel looks very dangerous there, maybe Mexico, Central and South America are safer than Russia?

Good job playing dodge-ball E7 drivers ;)

Scott Brady

Founder
Moto travel looks very dangerous there, maybe Mexico, Central and South America are safer than Russia?

Every developing country is dangerous, some just more so than others or for different reasons. The big issue in Russia is the speeds - nearly everyone drives at 150% of their driving skills or the limits of their vehicle. In Mexico and Central America the dangers are so varied, from washed-out roads to cattle to drunks and donkey carts.

Driving is the most dangerous thing we do as travelers - bar none.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
Can anyone tell me why so many Russians are apparently either filming their own driving, or have in-car cameras?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94