Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Can anyone tell me why so many Russians are apparently either filming their own driving, or have in-car cameras?

saw some show on Russia and supposedly crashes are so common most have them to prove what happened in a crash ?
cause in the courts you will need that proof :)
and if you have insurance there you will need proof to your insurance or they wont pay ?

Russia does make for good youtube videos though :)

Hovenator1

Can anyone tell me why so many Russians are apparently either filming their own driving, or have in-car cameras?

Probably for video evidence to be used to prove fault. I would assume that there is also a lot of "eating" video evidence as almost half of the at faults were from the film car!

What an absolute crazy place to drive!

Scott Brady

Founder
Another interesting situation in Russia. If there is a traffic accident, even minor, you cannot move the vehicles from their position, even if it is blocking both lanes of traffic, etc. You must wait until the police arrive. This of course led to other accidents, more blockage and then more accidents.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"The big issue in Russia is the speeds - nearly everyone drives at 150% of their driving skills or the limits of their vehicle"

I think you missed mentioning the real reason !:)
stoli-7.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...
Driving is the most dangerous thing we do as travelers - bar none.

Unquestionably!

Unfortunately few want to focus on being more proficient and safer drivers on-highway, because the majority of us are convinced we are already above average. ;)

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Every developing country is dangerous, some just more so than others or for different reasons. The big issue in Russia is the speeds - nearly everyone drives at 150% of their driving skills or the limits of their vehicle. In Mexico and Central America the dangers are so varied, from washed-out roads to cattle to drunks and donkey carts.

Driving is the most dangerous thing we do as travelers - bar none.

I so agree with this. Some of the stints I have done it was like playing some racing video game on the hardest difficulty for 12-16hrs. Only if you fail it isn't just "game over". That is the best way I could describe it. My worst fear down south when driving is always somebody stepping out in front of me and me hitting them. Hitting a pedestrian in Latin America (or anywhere) is not on my list of to-do's!

The lightening striking the car in the video was pretty crazy along with most of the video!

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Another interesting situation in Russia. If there is a traffic accident, even minor, you cannot move the vehicles from their position, even if it is blocking both lanes of traffic, etc. You must wait until the police arrive. This of course led to other accidents, more blockage and then more accidents.

I like the Latin way much better. Argue over who's fault it is, argue over the cost to move on, get out your cash, slap it down and drive off.

desmocruiser

Observer
Obviously there aren't any vehicle inspections or torque wrenches for that matter, I have never seen so many lost wheels.

With that level of wreckless driving, vehicle maintenance, wildlife, and road conditions, I would probably film every trip out!

Continued safe travels for all!

Bergum

Adventurer
Russians drives their wheels to they explode. Then they change. Saw 3 Tyre punctures in 3 days there...

B4x4.no

dibsen

Adventurer
This is great! I have been trying to read through the pages the past couple days. Now I am lying in bed this morning reading about your adventures through Europe, I love that so much of the trip is being shared and there is still more to come.

Good luck an God speed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles