Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

haven

Expedition Leader
Harry's New York Bar: Don't forget F Scott Fitzgerald, Henry Miller, Anais Nin, William Carlos Williams, and Gertrude Stein.

toddz69

Explorer
It's been my observation there are more than a few bars around the world that Hemingway frequented.

Todd Z.

Momrocks

Adventurer
Must be a mistake, an HZJ-79 uses coil springs instead of leaves,also uses five bolts on wheels. Looks like a HZJ-75 with an 79 body.

You are almost right and will receive partial credit for being on the right track.

I don't think the straight answer will surface in this thread. Some background info on some of the team and some further internettin' will satisfy your curiosity about the truck.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
71 north Latitude. Further north than Prudhoe Bay. Furthest north you can drive on a road in the world. . .

NICE!
I'm starting to look at maps again and I was just looking at that on a polar map the other day... it did look further North than Pudhoe Bay.
It's on the list.

Have fun!

-Dan

Landroverholic

Observer
Hey there folks

First I hope you bought some of the caviar toothpaste. I spend my life fixing teeth and the thought of smelly fish breath on top of all the other things we have to deal with as dentists could be interesting!!

The window of opportunity to do the ROB and the old summer road is running out. Are you late or just ramping up the excitement level a notch or two? Just how waterproof is a TLC?

Scott we talked of the fun with Russian bureaucracy!!! Hmmm. Indeed. We were supposed to ship out from Vladivostok at the end of August after our trip through Europe Russia Mongolia Siberia. As I write this sitting in a pub in Chamonix in the French Alps the words Russian Bureaucracy are fresh in my mind. As it turns out the APEC Summit (which we knew about) caused the harbour to be closed much sooner and for much longer than we had been told. We had no alternative than to drive all the way back to Europe from UB in Mongolia.Otherwise we would have faced an impossible drive from Ulaan Bataar to Vladivostok to ship early in an unrealistic time frame. We faced the possibility of being in Russia with an Australian registered vehicle and an expired visa. For those aware of the situation if you enter Russia with a foreign registered vehicle you cannot leave the country until the vehicle is also exported from the country. It has taken 17 days to reach Europe- and one speeding fine where I feigned ignorance(bearing in mind a rattly old Landrover travels slowly). Plans for a one way trip from Scotland to Vladivostok thrown into complete disarray!

So we have now retraced our steps about 8000km and are reflecting on why our whole trip plan has gone so AWOL. Perhaps we should have driven a Landcruiser instead of a Landrover ha ha ;-)

A friend of mine has just ridden to Magadan (solo KTM 990 and crossed Vitim river bridge in record time- Youtube for details) and river levels were still high. Isn't adventure travel so unpredictable. At least when you get to Australia I'll guaruntee you some sunshine.

Anyways I'm heading back to the UK to clean my Landrover with a toothbrush so I can get it back into Autralia. Be sure to keep some toothpaste handy. You might need it :)

Callum:)

Scott Brady

Founder
The window of opportunity to do the ROB and the old summer road is running out. Are you late or just ramping up the excitement level a notch or two? Just how waterproof is a TLC?

The road to Magadan is no big deal anymore. It is nearly completely paved and sees regular semi traffic (non-4wd). The challenge will be the summer road, which we intend to attempt one segment of, which connect between two segments of the new road (the new road was completed in 2010). We will do our best on the old summer road, but can turn around and reconnect with the new road if needed.

Scott we talked of the fun with Russian bureaucracy!!! Hmmm. Indeed. We were supposed to ship out from Vladivostok at the end of August after our trip through Europe Russia Mongolia Siberia. As I write this sitting in a pub in Chamonix in the French Alps the words Russian Bureaucracy are fresh in my mind. As it turns out the APEC Summit (which we knew about) caused the harbour to be closed much sooner and for much longer than we had been told. We had no alternative than to drive all the way back to Europe from UB in Mongolia.Otherwise we would have faced an impossible drive from Ulaan Bataar to Vladivostok to ship early in an unrealistic time frame. We faced the possibility of being in Russia with an Australian registered vehicle and an expired visa. For those aware of the situation if you enter Russia with a foreign registered vehicle you cannot leave the country until the vehicle is also exported from the country. It has taken 17 days to reach Europe- and one speeding fine where I feigned ignorance(bearing in mind a rattly old Landrover travels slowly). Plans for a one way trip from Scotland to Vladivostok thrown into complete disarray!

Yes, the APEC summit is a consideration, which is why we are shipping out of Magadan. Is there a reason you did not just use a customs broker and have them clear the truck through customs for you, so that you could leave the country from VVO and before the visas expired?

Given our current logistics, my primary concern is the complete cleaning of the trucks for Australia. We have two days and a team of four Russians scheduled for vehicle cleaning.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Given our current logistics, my primary concern is the complete cleaning of the trucks for Australia. We have two days and a team of four Russians scheduled for vehicle cleaning.

I have not brought in a vehicle but I can say that the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service are very proficient at their job and take biosecurity very seriously. How far are you taking the cleaning with respect to vehicle strip down?

Happy trails.

Cheers,
Pierre

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke