Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
A few questions

Now it seems you have a little time off from the driving, perhaps the team could share some thoughts on the vehicles?

You are in the fortunate situation to be driving a modern truck with quite a lot of engine power. Obviously this makes more relaxed driving, knowing that there is no challenge in high headwinds, long uphills and other situations that require power. But what is your actual driving speed, are you going faster than other (older) overlanders you have met on the trip so far?

What is the mpg you are getting with these trucks?

If given the chance, would you attempt the same trip with less engine power - more in line with most 4x4 had 15-20 years ago?

Have you fitted larger wheels or are you using stock size?

So far the trip has taken you thru the civilized part of the world, with a gaspump available in every town. But when you hit the more remote part of the world, what is your range between required refueling?

toddz69

Explorer
Apparently Bruce Dorn has an evil twin and he was spotted this weekend at the Czech MotoGP. It appears that green glasses are de rigueur for serious photographers.

Todd Z.

Photo credit: Durka Durka Digital

Attachments

• Dorn.JPG
    Dorn.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 22

Landroverholic

Observer
Hi Scott

Just got back to Scotland minus one Landrover with a trashed gearbox!! It is in England for some TLC. Thats Tender Loving Care by the way and NOT turning it into a Toyota Land Cruiser ha ha ;-)

There were a few reasons why we decided not to use a broker to clear the car through customs. Firstly we were told we would face very expensive storage charges while the vehicle was stored at the docks. Second - no ships mean no containers so there was no guarantee we could have it locked into a container before we left. Third our shipping agent was not going to be at work as the harbour was closed. Etc etc. Disappointing for sure but sometimes thats just how it goes. However on the up side we will just have to return to Siberia by motorbike another time.

We actually got the Landrover all the way to Eastnor Castle Landrover Show when the transfer box finally expired!!!

The customs and quarantine guys in Australia are strict but to preserve a unique environment is a good thing. I am sure they will all be very helpful and I hope you have a smooth passage through when you arrive.

Hope the trip is going well and good luck

Callum

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Callum

Persephone and I were supposed to join E7 this last week but we decided to stay in Scotland a bit longer instead to enjoy the Edinburg Festival. (details here).

Scott and Brian are driving back to Estonia at the moment with 2 of the trucks.

Where are-you in Scotland exactly? It would have been fun to meet up.
We are in Glasgow now heading back to London.

jham

Adventurer
It is an HZJ79 pick-up. We use it as a support and cinematographers vehicle. It has a turbo and many of the same modifications as the 78s. It is a cool machine - it might be my favorite.

Edit: Attach photo
View attachment 116066

I can't think of much I wouldn't give for a truck like this. Have seen a few owned by the UN bouncing around Uganda. Stock, white, and beautiful.

Maybe one day.

Landroverholic

Observer
Christian

Sorry I missed your post. I've just spent a long weekend in Aviemore in the Highlands camping and playing on my mountain bike!! Looks like I have missed you as you are now all going South - or East!! I would have enjoyed meeting you.

I hope you had a good time at the festival in Edinburgh. Is it fair to assume you stayed longer as you were having so much fun ?? I haven't been for many years but it is a great place to be when the festival is on.

I fly back to Tasmania in 2 days. If you stick around in the UK long enough I have a Landrover :safari-rig:(with a new gearbox!!) that needs delivering to Tasmania! Anybody interested ha ha!!

If you guys are going through UB in Mongolia be sure to call in at the Oasis Cafe and Guest House for a night or two. Great place to relax, have a hot shower, eat good food and a cold beer-all of which will no doubt be very welcome if you are headed in that direction!.

I will endeavor to meet up with some of the team somewhere in Australia when you finally get there.

Good luck and safe travels.

Callum

beemerchef

Explorer
South of France and you did not call me?...
Born and raised (30+ years) in Montpelier (and around...). I could have been your true out of the way food and sights guide.
I did like the "free foie gras"... amazing!
Talk soon. Ara and Spirit

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Siberia

We are making progress and managed to outrun the massive fires in Siberia. On to Lake Baikal, the Pearl of Siberia.

255539_10151396598648275_386723769_n.jpg

ivanwalkman

Hi guys!

Big shout you from Kemerovo, Siberia! We've seen you there, we've been in yellow Opel Astra and we've taken a photo of you in motion!

Gx4Cw8JvSwY.jpeg

Your Expedition is great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rolo1738