Quick trip to western North and South Carolina

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
So I had a little time to kill, and was doing a montain bike race in western South Carolina, so I decided to spend a little extra time and explore the area.
I loaded up...042012podA.jpg
042012podB.jpg
042012podC.jpg
This is a solo trip and I still filled my truck. My first questions is, how do folks with several hobbies pack? I clearly had my mtn bike stuff, kayak, a small fishing set-up and camera gear. For cloths, I packed super light, the rest was for the above activities.

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
042112podA.jpg
042112podB.jpg
My first stop was Spartenburg, South Carolina and a pre-ride of Stump Jump race coarse. I love these trails, I might have over done the recon ride with 2.5 hours in the saddle, but the last 45 minutes were the best as I rode the coarse backwards to find a lost 9 year old who was supposed to be on a different course... There were some happy parents (they had already called 911)
042212podB.jpg
042212podC.jpg
The race went great, I lead a lot of the race before fading to third.
After the race, I headed to Keowee-Toxaway State Natural Area near the Jocassee Gorges.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I was the only one in the camp ground and at $10 a night, worth the stay for hot showers rather than free primitive camping in Jocassee Gorges. The set-up started with a hail storm. After dinner I wondered around the shores of Jocassee Lake looking for sunset pictures, but didn't have much luck.
042212podL.jpg
042212podF.jpg

As part of this extended solo trip, I wanted to test some ideas for my planned west coast trip... one was the overland washing machine. The idea is bucket of water, dirty cloths and a little soap on the roof rack and drive, the bumps wash your cloths and that night all you have to do is rinse and dry. It works great, I washed the last two days of riding cloths (including the muddy race stuff) and when I got to camp, they were clean and the dirt had settled on the bottom of the bucket. The bucket even fits cleanly into the cockpit of the kayak.

042212podN.jpg
042212podO.jpg

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Monday, I planned to kayak the coves around Lake Jocassee, but 40 mph wind gusts kept the kayak on the roof. So instead I drove the rarely open logging roads inside Jocassee Gorges. The roads are only open for a couple of weeks in the spring and fall. Another change for this trip was the drawers I posted earlier about used as food and cooking, this also worked great, once I set up the sleep platform, I never had to unmake the bed.

042312podA.jpg
042312podS.jpg
042312podB.jpg
042312podC.jpg
042312podF.jpg

The first goal of driving was Jumping Off Rock. This would be a major hike, but instead was a great drive and wonderful view. After that I started exploring each open road, one ended at a giant old boat ramp.... best I can guess, it must have been used by loggers to float logs out of the gorge or pull the logs out of what is now a lake. I was surprised to find a couple of ATVers, they were the first people I had seen all day!

042312podU.jpg
042312podD.jpg

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
A couple of stops during the day:
Longshoals Park, right off Hwy 11. This looks like a great swimming hole in the summer.
042312podQ.jpg

Laurel Fork Falls. I saw the name on the map while driving and couldn't remember why I didn't have info on the falls, once I hiked the 1/2 mile or so in, I remembered, no access to the bottom of the falls, only this overlook, although I did walk across the top looking for another trail down.
042312podG.jpg

Virginia Hawkins Falls. This is a ~2.5 mile round trip hike, 1.2 downhill and 1.2 up. The sky clouded up and made for some pretty pictures.
042312podH.jpg

I am not the greatest landscape photographer, and these three picture show how much difference slight changes in position make. All three are of the Twin Falls. I almost skipped these falls because the DNR map showed a trail head with a fairly long hike, 5 miles or so round trip. But the ATVers said there was a shorter way in, I followed their directions which started with turn at the biker bar... I later found the directions they gave in the "Waterfalls of the South Carolina Upcountry" pamphlet.

042312podJ.jpg
042312podI.jpg
042312podK.jpg

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
As I said, I almost skipped this hike since it was getting close to dusk, but it was my favorite hike of the day.
042312podO.jpg
042312podN.jpg
042312podM.jpg
042312podL.jpg
042312podP.jpg

Tuesday I went riding in DuPont State Forest. This was a last minute add, I had planned to ride in Pisgah NF and Bent Creek trails, but at the last minute saw these trails. I really enjoyed myself here. A local warned me about this trail, the only way across is through the Little River. The advise is throw your shoes across and walk over the very slippery moss in your socks. I choose not to throw my shoes since I have learned, I can not replace my buckles... but man is it slick!

042412podB.jpg

042412podG.jpg

The reason I choose these trails today was the Cedar Rock Trail (or slick rock of the east) The exposed granite is a lot of fun to ride!

042412podF.jpg

The airstrip trail starts across an old.... airstrip, it is cool to ride down hundreds of yards of mountain top before descending down the fast single track on this trail.

042412podT.jpg

The waterfall is Bridal Veil Falls, you may recognize it if you have seen "The Hunger Games" it was filmed here.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
042512podA.jpg

Wednesday was riding in Pisgah NF. I choose one the "classic loops" and headed up Clawhammer Road (closed, old logging road) and across Clawhammer Mountain and Black Mountain and down Black Mountain trail. I had forgotten I rode in the Wilson Creek area of Pisgah in the late 1990s and didn't care for the trails, in fact, as I recalled, I gave up, looked at the topo map and bush whacked my way down the mountain to a paved road. Turns out I still don't care to ride these trails.... this loop was recommended by the local bike shop and another group of riders. It is such a classic it is listed on the map I bought. The climb is a hour long up (which I enjoyed) but then you have to hike a bike to the summits of the two mountains, this overlook, between the summits was awesome and worth the trip, good thing since I am not going back.

042512podB.jpg

The loop's big moment is the descent, but it was so rough, large drops and eroded, I could only ride half it, and that was with a lot of braking! After the ride I took a nap and realized I was really sore, I knew I could not ride again, the wind was too much for kayaking and the waterfalls are shorter hikes, so I want to save them for family outings, so I showered and headed for home.

It was sad to come home, I never had a chance to wet a line and paddle, but my family was happy to get me home before I leave again this weekend for another race in South Carolina.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Nice report Jay and those are some nice pics. Thanks for a preview of our upcoming week...your photos have us stoked.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
For someone who is "not the greatest landscape photographer" you've got some beautiful photographs there. Looks like you had a fine time!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thanks James! Mark, I have some reading material for you to borrow.... I know Michelle likes the waterfalls and I didn't scratch the surface. We can talk when you stop by!

profro

Observer
The loop's big moment is the descent, but it was so rough, large drops and eroded, I could only ride half it, and that was with a lot of braking!

Thanks for the thread. I am local to this part of country and I always enjoy seeing others explore it.

However you showed up to a gun fight with a rusty dull butter knife. While your Surly works well for some trails, don't knock Pisgah's raw, natural terrain because it and your skills left you unprepared. To some of us Pisgah and Wilson's are the essence of MOUNTAIN BIKING. Black Mountain is one of my favorite runs of all time due to its technical natural.

BTW your clothes washer is great! I have always had to pack more clothes than I really need. This is a great solution.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I still have much of my state to explore. Great photo's and inspiration for my to fine time to get out more.

gm13

Adventurer
Enjoyed the write up and nice camera work, love the slow shutter falls shots. Good to see some east coast backcountry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles