Thread: Rigs Suggested for Archaelogical Overlanding Expedition to Peru

Quote Originally Posted by MiguelVicente View Post
    I have to evaluate a trwo or three vehicle option, because two more friends are thinking of doing it, on their own fields. As Douglas stated, the problem of comfort for long staying living and working, with private areas is going to be hard to figure out, but then again, it is an expedition, not a luxury vacation.
    There are some other variables to consider:

-- How many strong persons do you have in your party, and,

-- How often are you moving.

A typical overland party is two adults, one male and one female. And typically, you move every day or so. This puts a tremendous premium on ease. If you have been driving all day, you don't want to pitch a tent in the dark, in the rain, in the Plaza de Armas, with a crowd of kids, and then take it down the next morning.

But, if you have three vehicles, with three strong adults, and you are not going to move for a week, then a heavy tent may be all you need. You just have to consider your needs.

I started out here:

(Camping outside of Arequipa, Peru.)

But now I want to be here:

Tiger 001.jpg

Indoor plumbing and heat have much to recommend themselves! ˇY a los Caraquenos les gusta el lujo!
    --
    DiploStrat

Web: http://diplostrat.org

Certified Expo Poseur - Lives on Paved Road

Hello Diplostrat, it would be in a 4 person team with 3 strong adults, and in the 6 person team one more.

Stays would be longer than 2 or 3 days but no more than a week. But I would rather use tents as less as possible.

I am thinking on expedition/adventure type, I am not the "only luxury and comfort" type. I know what we are up against, so luxury is out of the question. SO does the rest of the team thinks. Whenever possible, there will be a 2 day rest in a hotel. But that's about it.
    Last edited by MiguelVicente; 04-29-2012 at 04:24 PM.

I actually sold my tent this morning - my next trip will be in a camper like the one in the picture. I lived in Bolivia for three years and froze my ankles off on the altiplano. I know that the polar regions are much colder, but there is a special misery to being cold and suffering from soroche at the same time. If I ever go back to the sierra it will be in an enclosed vehicle. But I did want to remind that there are many different options. All it takes is money!

ˇVaya un grand abrazo!
    --
    DiploStrat

Web: http://diplostrat.org

Certified Expo Poseur - Lives on Paved Road

dhackney - much thanks to you for the free sharing of this information. Although I never plan to go on an extended expedition of any sort, let alone a Jurrasic Park adventure as described, I am finding TONS of valuable information here!!! I have sub'd for ideas, tactics and resources!! Again, thanks to all for such a helpful board!!

On a budget, what equipment would you take? Especially for electrical? Adding that info to the one that Doug Hackney kindly gave me?

Quote Originally Posted by MiguelVicente View Post
    On a budget, what equipment would you take? Especially for electrical? Adding that info to the one that Doug Hackney kindly gave me?
    This system (electrical) follows this logic tree:

Is 220/110VAC required Y/N:

If you need 220/110VAC, then you'll probably need a generator.

It is very, very important to use a generator that outputs a pure sine wave.

If your sustained 220/110VAC needs are very, very small amperage loads, then you may be able to get by with an inverter (converts 12/24 VDC to AC). Again, it is critical to use one that outputs a pure sine wave.

If you are using an inverter, then you'll need enough amp hour capacity in deep-cycle batteries to handle the amperage draw. The amp-hour capacity of the batteries needs to be at least twice your anticipated total amperage draw between recharge cycles.

For all 12/24VDC loads (12/24VDC equipment + inverter), your vehicle's alternator(s) + solar panel(s) + wind generator(s) must be sufficient to recharge the batteries.

It is optimum to use only 12/24VDC equipment. Most laptops, cameras, radios, etc. can be used with a 12/24VDC charger/power source.
    Last edited by dhackney; 05-22-2012 at 02:25 AM.
    -------------------------------------------

web: http://www.hackneystravel.com/
    blog: http://www.autopsis.com/
    twitter: http://twitter.com/dhackney

Just to agree with Doug on this. We have 12v chargers for our laptops and some of the cameras. This charges them with much less total amp-hour usage than using the inverter to go from 12v to 220ac, and then use the standard charger.

Merv.

Quote Originally Posted by dhackney View Post
    Most laptops, cameras, radios, etc. can be used with a 12/24VDC charger/power source.
    Except for MacBooks.
    Tacoma - For Extended Overland Travels
    Four Wheel Camper - The TARDIS

Trip Reports - Travels with Hadley

-Nathanael
    Large Format Photography
    www.KuenzliPhotography.com

Just read through this thread from the beginning, and I must say that the advice that dhackney and DiploStrat have written here is fantastic. Thank you for taking the time to share with us.
    Tacoma - For Extended Overland Travels
    Four Wheel Camper - The TARDIS

Trip Reports - Travels with Hadley

-Nathanael
    Large Format Photography
    www.KuenzliPhotography.com

Worry less about your transportation and more about archaeological study permits, lest you might end up in jail.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast