How to make a cheap isolated dual-battery setup for $50

dlichterman

Explorer
Ok I gotcha. Well I had planned on doing a solar panel as well. I have bought my charge controller, just looking for a good panel. The most expensive part of this project is the new battery.

If you have an interestate battery near you ask them about blemish/scratch and dent.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Yeah still trying to decide what battery to go with and doing my homework on battery compatibility for the starter/house

coax

Adventurer
Get to camp, open the hood, and switch it Off. When we're ready to go, open the hood, switch it On.

It's doesn't get much easier than that does it? Well, I guess it does with the automatic systems, but I haven't seen one that can handle the load for the winch - a Warn 15K is a power hungry monster...

Just for reference for folks planning out their systems (and I say this even though this is the $50 dollar dual battery thread...sorry for the deviation), the larger blue sea automatic switch/magnetic latch will do 500A continuous. Warn 15k will only pull 460A at full load according to their specs, and if split between batteries one would be well under the 500A continuous rating of the switch. Depending on the duration of the pull and voltage drop on the batteries, its possible that the in-cab switch would need to be used to over-ride the automatic separation of the batteries. Definitely not a <$50 solution though :)

FJRanger

I like getting lost...
Coax, no worries...this thread has helped me finally, kinda, get the whole theory and process of putting one of these systems together. What I'm trying to put together is definitely going cost more than $50...dang you 100 watt solar panels.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
How far away from the starting battery can the aux battery be? Is it ok to have the aux battery in the bed/shell and run a power wire either through the cab or under the cab? Or is that distance to far or not safe? I would have the solenoid and the aux battery in the bed mounted in the front driverside corner of the bed under a sleeping platform. I think everything I just typed makes sense....

dlichterman

Explorer
How far away from the starting battery can the aux battery be? Is it ok to have the aux battery in the bed/shell and run a power wire either through the cab or under the cab? Or is that distance to far or not safe? I would have the solenoid and the aux battery in the bed mounted in the front driverside corner of the bed under a sleeping platform. I think everything I just typed makes sense....

It's fine as long as you have some thick wiring. I ran 4AWG back to the bed along the frame rail(yay zipties!). Are you looking to mount solar as well? Keeps that run short if you mount the panel on top of the shell. I'm in SD as well so if you'd like to meet and look at my truck you are more than welcome to shoot me a PM.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Dude that would be awesome!!

I would like to mount solar but that wont be for 3 or 4 years down the road when I get a new expo vehicle. Hopefully in the next 3-4 weeks I will be doing a dual batt set up so I will for sure PM you. Where in SD if you dont mind me asking?

dlichterman

Explorer
Dude that would be awesome!!

I would like to mount solar but that wont be for 3 or 4 years down the road when I get a new expo vehicle. Hopefully in the next 3-4 weeks I will be doing a dual batt set up so I will for sure PM you. Where in SD if you dont mind me asking?

I'm up in San Marcos.

Kevin.Hutch

non hot wire

I'll add a suggestion here, that you take one more step. You want to find a Ignition "on" hot wire, that's true. However, I would try and find one that that is "NOT" energized when the ignition is switched to the "Accessory" position. That way your batteries are still isolated when your engine is off and the ignition is in the accessory position (to run your radio or other accessories, etc.) If you use a circuit that is hot in both the "on" and "accessory", the relay/isolator will be engaged in both positions, tying the batteries together without isolation,(and eating up power) even when the engine is off and you're kick'in back with a beer at your favorite overlook listening to some tunes.:ylsmoke:

We used to use the oil pressure switch to delay the solenoid switch on to prevent a dead house battery robbing the start at a critical time.

This would not cut in until after the motor was running.

Kevin

shogun

Adventurer
We used to use the oil pressure switch to delay the solenoid switch on to prevent a dead house battery robbing the start at a critical time.

This would not cut in until after the motor was running.

Kevin

Which would of course eliminate the ability to parallel the batteries for starting (dead batt).

Switched power AND a manual switch provides all necessary options while avoided unintentional parallel when shut down. Of course you must remember to parallel them yourownself.

Kevin.Hutch

Cruising options

Which would of course eliminate the ability to parallel the batteries for starting (dead batt).

Switched power AND a manual switch provides all necessary options while avoided unintentional parallel when shut down. Of course you must remember to parallel them yourownself.

Typically boats have two way switches installed to allow either or both batteries to be connected and over the years many have dabbled with alternatives to jump starts when too much power is used overnight.

What with all the variables on engine/alternator run time, solar output over the day, battery types and charging regimes, battery selection for start and deep cycle application and battery sizing etc it all comes down to more art than science to get a 8 years out of you batteries.

In the relatively constant world of telephone exchanges 15 to 20 years is common for battery life and it all depends what selection/sizing/abuse you dish up to your batteries it could come down to only one year.

It is hard to simulate an knowledgeable operator that knows when to switch batteries and how all the compromises fit together, but a VSR has proved a good compromise in the rental boat world preferably bidirectional if there are more than one charging source. I got 4 years out of second hand golf buggy batteries.

Kevin

View attachment A Typical BAT DESIGN.pdf

kjp1969

Explorer
So I have a two-step variation on this thread- a dual battery system for about $12 or less.

1. Tap into the trailer battery charge lead at your 7-pin trailer plug (if equipped)
2. Run it to your aux battery.
3. Run your accessory circuit from the aux battery.

The charge lead is already switched to engine-on, and is designed to charge a trailer battery.
The $12 comes from the cost of the wire that you need to tap into that charging circuit.

*Some say* that the trailer battery charging circuit isn't designed to, and won't, charge a fully discharged battery. That may or may not be true; our trailer batteries (2 @ 6v golf cart batteries) get charged pretty well when we are towing our travel trailer from campsite to campsite. But assuming that it's true, do you ever really need to charge a battery from a full discharge? Don't you really just have to top it up between stops?

Anyway, I'm going to try my own Kool-aid and build a setup to power my Edgestar fridge using this type of circuit. I'll use this 26ah battery powered from the trailer battery charge circuit. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L9AN4G/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'll post up how it works. It obviously won't be useful for self-jump starting, but I'm betting that if the fridge isn't sapping the main battery, there won't be much need.

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
Isolator?

If you are using a solenoid as stated in the beginning of the thread and had, for some reason, a dead house battery. Once started, wouldn't the system want to equalize the batteries causing a rapid drain from the start battery, perhaps overloading the system, assuming 4ga wire, 200A solenoid with 120A ANL fuses?

What would be the merits of a battery isolator like this?
71evupa-elL._SL1500_.jpg

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, I missed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz