Beverage recomendation....

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
The beer that turned me on to beer, was Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewing. I didn't know beer could taste that good. It was a whole new beverage landscape from there!

- Andy

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Another nice one you might try would be a saison. They're kind of fruity with a bit of a spice bite on the finish, malty but not to the point of a barley wine, good hop bitterness but not enough to turn you away.

Frank

Explorer
Lagers are difficult for new guys simply because of the 'lagering' process.

Start with a bitter, weisen, wheat beer, etc. All are simple and very rewarding. If you are on facebook, find 'homebrew finds' and watch for starter kits. There have been some amazing deals pop up.

Ciders can be super simple too.

Several forums come to mind: northernbrewer.com and morebeer.com both have great forums and are retail stores. homebrewtalk.com and thebrewingnetwork.com are both forums I often visit.

You will likely start with 'extract brewing' which in my opinion is a great way to begin brewing. It teaches the fundamentals and many places sell extract kits all measured out for you and ready to brew a beer. I tell people if you can make mac and cheese, you can brew beer. Its really that easy.

Dont forget that you will likely bottle your first few batches. -so think about that too as part of your initial batches.

Last edited:

mwaltd

Observer
Thanks guys. Gonna hit the store tonight.

As far as home brewing goes I've thought about doing it for cider. So if I get a taste for beer I should already be set up

Frank

Explorer
Buying beer...most beer stores (not like a grocery store or your run of the mill cheap vodka shop) will allow you to mix up a six pack. Grab 6 different things! Also, dont forget that a glass makes all of the difference!

Would be a mistake to miss out on all the local craft beers here in NC - http://www.ncbeer.org/. Many have tap rooms that allow for free (or nearly free) tastings that will let you sample styles you might normally dismiss, letting you make up your own mind as to what you like and why. Enjoy the journey!

Having grown up in NC I can attest, there's enough local brews to go around. I always try to get something from Red Oak when I'm down there.

I'm a beer geek. I'm not a beer snob, I think all beer is worth something. To me it's like sex, even the worst is still good right?

The best advice I can give is go to a local microbrew house and get a sampler. Sit at the bar and tell the bartender what you like! If he's worth his salt he'll have some good choices for you.

Also try a lambic. This is an old Belgium style of beer infused with fruit and might be a good start.

Now there's a secret section in the grocery that doesn't get a lot of attention. There's a row of 10-20 beers with stopper and cork tops, they look like 40's but they're not. Look for a bourbon aged barrel beer. I love bourbon and these beers are awesome. Some are not for the faint of heart.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles