Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beverage recomendation....

Take a stroll through this thread. Some great recommendations.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...e-perfect-beer

- Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Warn Industries View Post
    Take a stroll through this thread. Some great recommendations.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...e-perfect-beer

- Andy
    That thread is actually what got me thinking more about it. Alot of ones they motion I've never seen in NC. But based on the types you guys have recommended I think I may can pick a few out from there to try

For a beer neophyte, you will probably be turned off by the beers that have significant hops added such as the India Pale Ales. These are very bitter and generally are an acquired taste after you have gotten used to other less bitter offerings. Most ales will tend to be heavier on the hops than lagers, so I would start with a simple lager and work your way up. If you have a microbrewery or brewpub near you, a good way to get started is to order a sampler. They give you a few ounces of their offerings that are generally placed in front of you in order from mild to strong. If you drink them out of order, you will find that a strong beer will perhaps negate a milder one, so I'd stick to the order they are recommending. Once you develop a taste for beer, you have all kinds of directions you can take. Homebrewing is great for that. I wouldn't put your time and effort into homebrewing until you have developed a taste for beer.

Cheers,
    Greg
    Greg (a.k.a. Hafwit)
    1967 Steyr-Puch Swiss military Haflinger
    1975 Volvo Swedish military TGB111
    2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition

I agree with others and say with lagers or pilsners. Dos Equis XX Green bottle might be a good place to start. Stella Artois might be another good choice.

And don't forget to stay thristy my friend!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335583195.607279.jpg
    Anchor steam beer out of San Francisco is great.
    Ryan
    '06 Toyota 4runner v6

The beer that turned me on to beer, was Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewing. I didn't know beer could taste that good. It was a whole new beverage landscape from there!

- Andy

Another nice one you might try would be a saison. They're kind of fruity with a bit of a spice bite on the finish, malty but not to the point of a barley wine, good hop bitterness but not enough to turn you away.
    Lets leave all our crap where it is and go live in the woods.
    K7WS

I ride a scooter, therefore I am.

Lagers are difficult for new guys simply because of the 'lagering' process.

Start with a bitter, weisen, wheat beer, etc. All are simple and very rewarding. If you are on facebook, find 'homebrew finds' and watch for starter kits. There have been some amazing deals pop up.

Ciders can be super simple too.

Several forums come to mind: northernbrewer.com and morebeer.com both have great forums and are retail stores. homebrewtalk.com and thebrewingnetwork.com are both forums I often visit.

You will likely start with 'extract brewing' which in my opinion is a great way to begin brewing. It teaches the fundamentals and many places sell extract kits all measured out for you and ready to brew a beer. I tell people if you can make mac and cheese, you can brew beer. Its really that easy.

Dont forget that you will likely bottle your first few batches. -so think about that too as part of your initial batches.
    Last edited by Frank; 05-01-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks guys. Gonna hit the store tonight.

As far as home brewing goes I've thought about doing it for cider. So if I get a taste for beer I should already be set up

Buying beer...most beer stores (not like a grocery store or your run of the mill cheap vodka shop) will allow you to mix up a six pack. Grab 6 different things! Also, dont forget that a glass makes all of the difference!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast