Pete's Tacoma Build

pnorvell

Adventurer
Sleeping Platform

IMG_6543 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

This is a dead simple sleeping platform design I found while strolling through TacomaWorld (link). Use the link for the dimensions, materials, credit, etc but you can see with my photos the gist of it. And yes, we do actually sleep on it; 2 people, 2 dogs, (somehow no photos, sorry) and the only thing I wish I could change would be more head space. I've seen people make spacers for their toppers, raising them a few inches using 2x4's or square tubing, but I haven't seen a clean enough execution to make me take the leap.

I chose this simple, removable option because we use the truck as truck more than a dedicated camping rig. When apart the entire thing is only 6 pieces and weighs well under 100lbs and cost me nearly nothing because I made it out of existing scrap wood. IMHO it's the best approach to building out your truck bed while remaining truly 100% removable without the need for tools to do so. It's been in there for over a year now with no failures or issues. Never had any issues with it popping out of place because the gear strapped down keeps everything nice and tight.

IMG_6545 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

^^This is the only adjustment I made to the original plans and it's to allow clearance for the spare tire. It's simply spacers made of 1/2" ply glued & brad nailed to the 2x4 supports. Crude & ugly, yes, but functional!

IMG_6548 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

What lives under it - Not shown is camping table, hi-lift, and plenty of room to stuff firewood into.

IMG_6549 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

Becuase the dog's food/water/toys really need to be 100% waterproof... See how together that recovery box is?? Yeah... NEVER AGAIN will it leave the truck hah!

IMG_6551 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

All packed up.

MNCarl

The Moose
Excellent !!!
Love the utilitarian / military look with the steel rims and 255's
And it looks like you swapped out the 255/75-16 Cooper ST's for some 255/75-16 Cooper ST-Maxx's !!! Love the tall skinny's !!

pnorvell

Adventurer
Maintenance - 135k miles

IMG_1087 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

I'm sure everyone views vehicle maintenance differently, but with the little knowledge that I have, it's still one of my favorite things to do. Having just rolled over 135k miles it was due for a quick overhaul including front pads & rotors, rear brake shoes, spark plugs, air filter (engine & cabin), and oil change.

I understand the intimidation that comes with "working on cars" but I always urge people to give it a shot. Without getting into the cost savings discussion of doing your own maintenance, the true benefit is finding out what's going on under the hood/truck that you DON'T know about. Are the valve covers leaking (somehow mine stopped leaking on their own...)? Are your CV boots torn on both axles? Is your factory skid plate bent so bad it's slightly rubbing your tire when at full lock? etc etc.

Taking the CV boot example a step further, finding that out semi-early saved me a world of hurt and who knows how much money (I actually do know, and let me tell you, it's a lot...).I was able to track down OEM axles out of a junkyard to replace my busted ones for less than Toyota wanted to just replace the boots. In the end, I came out spending 1/4 the money and now have two trail spares if the need ever arises, all because I changed the oil one Saturday.

IMG_1088 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

Maybe waited a bit too long...

IMG_1091 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

Nothing to see here! And no, #6 does not have oil deposits, it's just the photo.

pnorvell

Adventurer
Excellent !!!
Love the utilitarian / military look with the steel rims and 255's
And it looks like you swapped out the 255/75-16 Cooper ST's for some 255/75-16 Cooper ST-Maxx's !!! Love the tall skinny's !!

Thanks!

Yes, I made the swap to the ST Maxx's 2yrs or so ago. Now that I have some year's under my belt with them I have to say I prefer the old ST's. They wore better and they were just narrow enough to not rub anywhere, ever. And I miss the true "pizza cutter" look. The Maxx's are one of the widest 255/85's out there, in my opinion, and look more like a 285/75 when compared to the old ST's. However, the Maxx's are much better in the snow, are load range E, and have much tougher sidewalls. You can't have everything, right? Haha thanks for looking!

dman93

Adventurer
Question on the platform ... with the cross braces hanging down the thickness of a 2x4 + the plywood, do things often get hung up when you slide them in and out of the bed, below the platform? Or is that not really an issue, maybe because you only put hard cases down below? Thanks.

pnorvell

Adventurer
Question on the platform ... with the cross braces hanging down the thickness of a 2x4 + the plywood, do things often get hung up when you slide them in and out of the bed, below the platform? Or is that not really an issue, maybe because you only put hard cases down below? Thanks.

It was an issue originally with the spare tire catching, but after I added those 1/2" spacers under the 2x4's no more rubbing. The cases actually fit perfectly snug under the rear support. Again, building out the bed can be done A LOT cleaner and with better materials, but this setup takes the abuse well and was so afordable, I never find myself worrying about it.

Jeff H

Adventurer
I still love how simple your truck is! I'm going to have to live vicariously through you since the new owners picked up my Tacoma today :(

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
Great pics, thanks for the update. So you had the Cooper ST's and now the ST Maxx, do they perform well enough in gnarly offroad situations? I have the 255/80-17 on my Tacoma

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Great looking Taco. Gotta love a rig that is simple and works! There is a meet and greet this Sunday at Colorado Plus Brewpub at 3PM, if you are around. Last months turn out was great!! Check out Imogene Overland on IG for details!

pnorvell

Adventurer
I still love how simple your truck is! I'm going to have to live vicariously through you since the new owners picked up my Tacoma today :(

Noooo!! I'll do my best to post photos more regularly then! At least until May when the baby comes. Then I won't see the light of day for what, probably 3 years? Hahaha

Great pics, thanks for the update. So you had the Cooper ST's and now the ST Maxx, do they perform well enough in gnarly offroad situations? I have the 255/80-17 on my Tacoma

I should preface that the ST Maxx's haven't let me down in any road situation, and they are far and away better in the snow. In all practical and functional ways they're a better tire, hence Cooper upgrading to them. My issue is that they're wider than the original ST's so they rub a ton (stock UCAs, my fubar'd front skid, a few other spots as well) and make more noise on the road (I think...). I just really miss the "look" of the old STs. I hope that helps hahaha I could argue with myself all day.

pnorvell

Adventurer
Great looking Taco. Gotta love a rig that is simple and works! There is a meet and greet this Sunday at Colorado Plus Brewpub at 3 PM, if you are around. Last months turn out was great!! Check out Imogene Overland on IG for details!

Nice! Thanks for the invite! Pending the weather I was going to try and get out and hike some but I'd definitely be down to meet some folks and kick some tires. I'll try and make it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier