Pete's Tacoma Build

pnorvell

Adventurer
Ironman Snorkel

So it's done. I finally filled the massive holes in my fender with a snorkel. Now I can effectively go and kill my starter and all my electronics while knowing I look cool doing it... AND Film it with my new GoPro. I am sooo ready for it! Haters Gonna Hate!!

On a serious note though, I really enjoy this thing as it was a complete labor of love. There was a lot of modification to the snorkel as well as the air assembly, so I'm not sure how many people will do this under taking, but I rest knowing my truck is the only with it, for now. Quality product, stout hardware, and if put on the properly intended vehicle, comes with everything you need.

Yes I could have done a Safari Snorkel and I'm sure it all would have gone a little easier. However, the fact that no one has done an Ironman Snorkel yet was too enticing so I jumped at the chance, and I'm glad I did.

Here are some photos!

So you can watch me swim

IMG_4964 by pnorvell, on Flickr

IMG_4959 by pnorvell, on Flickr

IMG_4954 by pnorvell, on Flickr

One of the things I love about this snorkel is the clean look. No name stamped on the side.

IMG_4956 by pnorvell, on Flickr

IMG_4957 by pnorvell, on Flickr

IMG_4963 by pnorvell, on Flickr

deadbeat son

Explorer
Your truck looks great! I wanted to powder coat my FJ Cruiser steelies white when I first bought them a few years ago, but I ended up not taking the time. It's great to see what it would have looked like had I done it though.

pnorvell

Adventurer
Your truck looks great! I wanted to powder coat my FJ Cruiser steelies white when I first bought them a few years ago, but I ended up not taking the time. It's great to see what it would have looked like had I done it though.

There is a guy on here with a black FJ that has white wheels. Looks fantastic! Try looking him up in the "post photos of your truck" section. Looks really, really good. Thanks man!

deadbeat son

Explorer
There is a guy on here with a black FJ that has white wheels. Looks fantastic! Try looking him up in the "post photos of your truck" section. Looks really, really good. Thanks man!

Sounds pretty sweet, but I don't have a black FJC. I have a white Tacoma DC. ;) The wheels are black steel FJ takeoffs.

Last edited:

oscarbob

How did you go about sourcing each of the spare rims? And what did they cost apiece?

They look really really good on your truck BTW.

zolo

Explorer
How did you go about sourcing each of the spare rims? And what did they cost apiece?

They look really really good on your truck BTW.

Peter is at GSMTR so I will jump in here. He bought his from Toyota new. They were pricey like 85-90? a piece I think.

However I sourced mine form a used wheel shop as OEM Toyota take offs. I paid like $64 a piece. Same wheel straight OEM Toyota and all.
16x7, with the hole design is what you would be asking for.

Id say a good place to call is LKQ, they are nationwide and have used factory parts.
http://www.lkqcorp.com/

Oh Peter say thanks about the truck looking good.

pnorvell

Adventurer
Back from GSMTR! It was a blast and I'm adding Golden Mountain Park to the small list of places to go in the South East. It's geared more towards Buggies and the like, but they have some great intermediate trails there where minor to moderate trail damage may occur. Check it out!

http://www.goldenmountainpark.com/

Here are some photos doing work!!

550776_436836472994837_114672979_n by pnorvell, on Flickr

The minimalist setup!

75956_436819956329822_123992714279216_1684474_202057079_n by pnorvell, on Flickr

540676_436820899663061_123992714279216_1684483_1068309947_n by pnorvell, on Flickr

533435_436821202996364_1740369087_n by pnorvell, on Flickr

539958_436821446329673_123992714279216_1684490_765164728_n by pnorvell, on Flickr

560719_436820546329763_123992714279216_1684479_119879643_n by pnorvell, on Flickr

576629_436821516329666_1632944265_n by pnorvell, on Flickr

575165_436837019661449_123992714279216_1684554_417971799_n by pnorvell, on Flickr

Default Truck shot!

Also, Here is some info on the snorkel that people in another thread were asking about with detailed photos.

IMG_5066 by pnorvell, on Flickr

The head is almost identical to the Safari sans the Ironman stamping. No noises, whistles, or anything. It happened too close to my lift and tire upgrade to say anything for it effecting my mileage.

IMG_5069 by pnorvell, on Flickr

However this is where it is more beneficial for me as I was able to retain 95% of the original air assembly. The only modification to it was we trimming the lip on the male end that feeds into the fender. It looks a little "gooey" as we wrapped all the joints with FIPJ to further protect against water inhalation.

IMG_5067 by pnorvell, on Flickr

IMG_5068 by pnorvell, on Flickr

I really enjoy the thing honestly, well as much as you can "enjoy" a snorkel!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
pnorvell,

This is my favorite Tacoma on the web, and there are tons of nice ones here. Just a pure straight forward simple capable rig with no bling. All business, just the way I like it. Good work!

zolo

Explorer
pnorvell,

This is my favorite Tacoma on the web, and there are tons of nice ones here. Just a pure straight forward simple capable rig with no bling. All business, just the way I like it. Good work!

I agree I think Peter did a great job.
I personally liked it better without the Snorkel from Iron Man. However its a great looking and functioning truck either way.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Pete- Very nice set-up thus far.
Tire Mount- did you try to mount the tire underneath? I know its over 33" tall, but stil... no dice? How do you like the Coop's so far? Any regret not going with a full MT?

pnorvell

Adventurer
If you're still looking for a bedside tire mount, check out Metalmiller's design on tacomaworld: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacoma-marketplace/123470-metalmiller-tire-rack.html

That is great! We currently have a machinist near our shop that is making something very similar but out of Aluminum. Right now I'm just making due with ratchet straps. Great info though thanks!

pnorvell,

I really appreciate it! That's exactly my direction! I tried to take into account the "normal" funds someone may have and went from there. I like it!

It's a POS, literally don't buy it. I replaced it with this one and love it, though it is a little shorter than I would like.
[URL="http://www.rei.com/product/828503/rei-camp-adjustable-roll-table"]Click here

I agree I think Peter did a great job.
I personally liked it better without the Snorkel from Iron Man. However its a great looking and functioning truck either way.

In all honesty, I agree. I love the look of the snorkel, but due to the "testing" nature of the install its functionality has been a pain. Nothing bad to say about Ironman as I just wanted to see if it would work so that's on me. I just wish the inner fender piece was easier to work with. It's been fighting me since day one!! If I could go back and do it again, would I? Probably not. But I do love the look and explaining what the heck it is to people! "It's a moose caller..."

Pete- Very nice set-up thus far.
Tire Mount- did you try to mount the tire underneath? I know its over 33" tall, but stil... no dice? How do you like the Coop's so far? Any regret not going with a full MT?

With the 33's I've been told that they will not fit between the frame rails so I just didn't bother with it. Trying to man handle one of those tires gets old pretty fast. Hah! I LOVE the Coopers and haven't regretted it once. Great, great, great tires!! I've gone the mud terrain route before and just never utilized them enough. Living in Atlanta and having to do at least an hour of highway to get anywhere for camping really effected my decision. They only negative about them was availability. It took me three weeks to track some down in the 255/85/16 range then another week for the tire shop to get them. It was worth the wait though! All I can say is ROTATE your tires and they'll treat you well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles